This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a mind reader!

I work for a small optometrist office, so we get a lot of questions about exams, eyeglasses, contact lenses etc! And that's find we totally expect that, but some people are so rude about it.

1) Sucky Customer #1 - if they break their glasses, need a repair, an adjustment anything... they just throw the glasses on the desk and just stare at you like your suppose to know what they want, wtf! When did pyschic become a requirement - use your mouth to form words and use some f#$%ing manners and say, "Hi I need this done..." It's not hard!

2) Sucky Customer #2 - They use a frame they had for 10 years to put new lenses in after you warn them it's old, not in great shape and may break. They break and they blame you - I got an idea let's not be cheap and buy one of the new frames on sale even for $79 or something that won't break and have a warranty!

3) Sucky Customer #3 - People who try and order contact lenses they day before they go on a trip. Sometimes we have them here and that's fine, but usually if your blind as a bat and have specialitly lenses why would you leave it last minute if everytime before you ordered them it took 2 weeks! Your lack of planning does not make it an emergency on my part - think ahead!

4) Sucky Customer #4 - People who try and use expired prescriptions to order contact lenses. It's against our laws to fill it - its to make sure you get regular eye exams because contacts can caused messy infections extra. No amount of whiney, bitching, and yelling will change this. I will not lose my liscence because you want to reuse a 4 year old expired prescription. If you try and use an expired prescription at the pharmacy they won't let you either - its for your safety, jack ass!

I'm not too sure about that last post actually.

I have noticed over my 50 years of wearing glasses that every time I get a new prescription everything seems razor sharp for a few months, then my lazy-ass eyes adjust and present everything to me at my usual level of blurriness. Yet when I next go to the opticians, I need another set of even stronger lenses.

But the times I have insisted on retaining my old prescription, the subsequent new prescription has only ever been the same prescription as the one I refused. My eyes just refuse to see clearly, they are a lazy lot.

Comment

Why can't we just let them get infected?? We don't really care about an SC's behaviour when it only hurts themselves right??

Comment

No Cornea...

*ICK*

Just had to bring that up... again.
        *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
        *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
          I'm not too sure about that last post actually.

I have noticed over my 50 years of wearing glasses that every time I get a new prescription everything seems razor sharp for a few months, then my lazy-ass eyes adjust and present everything to me at my usual level of blurriness. Yet when I next go to the opticians, I need another set of even stronger lenses.

But the times I have insisted on retaining my old prescription, the subsequent new prescription has only ever been the same prescription as the one I refused. My eyes just refuse to see clearly, they are a lazy lot.
          Because while your prescription may not change, they might catch stuff that can lead to blindness or death.
          Eye exams are more than just 'better, or worse?' Your eyes can be the first indicators of diabetes, arterial hardening, and parasites (ok, I got that one from watching House, but it is a big void with fluid for things to float around in).
          By refusing to fill a prescription after one should have gotten a new Rx, they force you to get regular checkups to catch that kind of stuff. Not to mention the infections that can go otherwise unnoticed or bacteria built up by not changing the contact lens case regularly. But I am in no way an optician, just a knowitall that rambles late at night.
          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth dithers66 View Post
            Why can't we just let them get infected?? We don't really care about an SC's behaviour when it only hurts themselves right??

I'm inclined to agree with that, but the legal system in the USA does not. If the expired prescription had been filled and the SC got an eye infection, the SC would go to a personal injury lawyer faster than you can say law suit.

This is a situation where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you fill the prescription, you run the risk of having to deal with the SC and their blood thirsty personal injury lawyer. If you don't fill the prescription, you have to deal with the pissy SC.

Going back to original quote, the problem is that people feel entitled to be protected from their own stupidity. Look up vinegar boy under war stories for an extream example of this.

Comment

Working...
            X