X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman strips down to her undies to protest Wal-Mart policy

http://consumerist.com/5029679/disag...hes-in-protest

Film at 11....Don't you wish!
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I'm at a loss for words.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      I'm at a loss for words.
      I know what you mean, I just...really don't get it. It's not laugh out loud funny it's just...odd.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I understand why Wally World wouldn't let her in with her bike. It really is kind of a safety hazard.

Wal-mart, as far as I know, isn't bound by law to provide a bike rack to hook those things onto, but it would have been nice for Walmart to let her keep it someplace safe. Maybe right there in the foyer would have been safe. The greeter would have probably kept a good eye on it.

Most people around here just chain their bikes to the lamp posts or on the cart corral. I'm sure her Walmart parking lot has them. I think her protest was a bit silly, IMO.

Comment

uh, I'd just forget wal-mart and go elsewhere.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Her expression when the shirt came off was absolutely priceless...I was pretty tempted to take off the spandex too but I wasn't sure what constitutes indecent exposure in Virginia so I figured I'd err on the side of caution. Still I had a decent sized crowd gathered before the end of the discussion.
            Who gathered solely to see her get nekkid, not to express solidarity with her loony "political protest".

BTW, I love the poster who made comments to the effect that it was "a unique way to make her point" or some such BS. Proof that drugs do not take themselves. Fight the power. I learned taking off my clothes to get what I want doesn't work when I was a toddler.

That said, the reason Wally World gave for refusing to allow the bike in the store was stupid. I'd consider it more of a safety/liability thing than anything else.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yeah. Don't need her running over feet with that honkin's huge bike.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I suppose this woman has never heard of a bike lock?

Comment

I guess that I am going to have too say this

This thread is worthless without pics.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

A classic example of justified suckyness

This is just too freaking funny.

The short of it is that a woman was told that she couldn't bring her bike into Walmart because they sold bikes. She then asked if they sold shirts and shorts. They said yes and so she stripped down to her bra and spandex since they also sold them.

Funny as heck and a classic example of the times when you have no choice BUT to be sucky.

M
                    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

They sell bras and spandex too, though. lol!!!
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I don't understand. I don't know of any store that lets you wheel your bike around with you. You're supposed to lock it up outside. Did she not have a lock? Or did the store not have bike racks? Or what? What was so important the she decided she should be able to wheel her bike around the store with her when nobody else can?

ETA: ok, I had read a news report on this, not a personal post by her. It told the story a little differently.
                        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Most Walmart's that I have seen actually don't have anywhere to lock up your bike, or if they do, it's not fixated to the pavement or wall, it's just standing there for anyone to drag off. I wouldn't want to leave my bike there either!

I wouldn't have had the gonads to take off my clothes in public though, that's just CRaZy!

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                            I don't understand. I don't know of any store that lets you wheel your bike around with you. You're supposed to lock it up outside. Did she not have a lock? Or did the store not have bike racks? Or what? What was so important the she decided she should be able to wheel her bike around the store with her when nobody else can?

ETA: ok, I had read a news report on this, not a personal post by her. It told the story a little differently.
                            Well the store didn't have bike racks, which I can attest to the three Walmarts in my area, as well as the dozen others I've lives near, not a goddamn one of them had bike racks. Your only options are the trees which are less than 2 inches and are too easy to snap off to get the bike. Or the light poles in the parking lot and judging by the rainbow of car paint on them...I'm sure as hell not parking my wife's $120 bike much less my $400 bike.

So I can understand her reluctance to leave her $600 bike undefended.

Besides, it's not so much the manager's stance against the bikes that is so funny, but the fact that the manager couldn't explain the difference between bringing a bike into the store and bringing in clothes that Walmart sells.

Besides, all Walmart had to do was look at the brand of the bike. Considering that Walmart doesn't carry any bike more costly than $200 (and actually closer to $120) it should be obvious to them that was or was not theirs.

Not to mention that a bike that has been ridden for more than 10 miles has crud in the gears, dust, nicks and scratches from stones and other road debris that a new bike being stolen from the store wouldn't have.

M
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I think the selling bikes excuse was just an excuse because the employee couldn't formulate a proper response. I would think it would be a safety issue, dragging bikes through the aisles and such. But the employee was probably just ordered to forbid bikes inside the store by corporate because of the potential for injury and lawsuits, and not told why.

I do think its sad that they didn't understand why she didn't drive. Similar to people who can't wrap their heads around the fact that some women don't carry purses. I've experienced that before.
                              Last edited by ThePhoneGoddess; 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM.
                              Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                              X