This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Student Teacher orientation

This incident happened on Thursday. Long post.

I had to save 4 spots for the University College Block 3 orientation as well as other spots for other events. According to the event list, the departments have tokens for their guests. Now that summer school is over, it was not a big deal if more people arrived for the events, but everyone needs a token to exit.

So I tell everyone arriving for the events "please make sure the dept. gives you a token to exit *I keep one inside the booth to show the customer*; a token is required to exit. You cannot exit without one."

I tell the customers this because...

I got tired of hearing 1) I need out for a meeting, 2) I need out for an appointment, or 3) can't you just raise the gate. I noticed that for #'s 1 & 2, the customer was not in a hurry when they finally exited with a token.

A customer arrives & shows me a printed e-mail from Lisa Hill, who works in the Urban Education dept., stating that the dept. made arrangements for everyone to park in Visitor parking for the New student teacher orientation. Since I was not sure if that event was the same as the block 3 orientation, I called the Parking office. I was told it was the same event. I told everyone arriving for the event my spiel. More than four people arrived for the event.

The phone inside the booth rings. It is around 9:30 a.m. I look up, & there is a car at the exit gate. But the phone only rang once. It did not ring again. *the phone call goes to campus police, who then transfer the call to me* I notice the person pressing the call button. The phone inside the booth does not ring. She does this again. At that point I stand up & go to the phone to call campus police. That was when I saw her passenger wave at me. According to the Parking office, I cannot leave the booth to assist the customer. That is what the call box is for. But for some strange reason the call was not going to me. Campus police call me to ask me why is there a customer at the exit gate. I told them she was informed that she needed a token to exit the garage when she arrived at the booth earlier this morning. They told me they would tell her that if she calls them again. But she does not do that. Instead she walks up to the booth window. Please give me some patience.

me: "Hi, how may I help you?"
    female customer: "We are hear for the New student teacher orientation, but we did not get a token. And we are at the wrong bldg."
    me: *That is strange because according to the e-mail I read, the dept. made arrangements for everyone to park in Visitor parking*
    "I'm sorry, but you need a token to exit."
    female customer: "Can't you just raise the gate?"
    me: "I'm sorry, but I am not allowed to do that. And I told everyone here for the event that a token is required to exit & that they cannot exit without one."
    *She looks at the sign in front of the ticket machine stating Visitor parking is $5.00*
    female customer: "Well... can we pay?"
    me: "You can, but since we do not take payments inside the booth, you have to pay inside the bldg. either at the vending machine on the garage level or at the Parking office on the 3rd floor."
    female customer: "So we can go to the Parking office"
    me: "Yes, & make sure to tell them you do not have one because the Parking office told me that the dept. has a token for everyone."

The dept. did not have tokens for their guests because "Nancy" calls me to let me know that the dept. called them to let them know they do not have any & to charge them for the tokens. I was told to let everyone out with the clicker.

From now on my spiel will be...
    "Please make sure the dept. gives you a token to exit. A token is required to exit. You cannot exit without one. If you have any questions or if you do not get one, you can go to the Parking office on the 3rd floor." I'll probably get some people who want me to raise the exit gate. For the ones who will not back up, they have to speak to the Parking office.
Working...
X