Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the worst compliment you've ever received?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some customers have told me that I have lost weight. I took that as a compliment. Since I really was losing weight, but I wasn't fat to begin with anyway.

Then when I was in High School, my English teacher said I reminded him of the girl from Welcome to the Dollhouse, her name is Heather Matarazzo. I don't know whether to have taken it as an insult or compliment. I mean in that movie, she gets made fun of and tormented.

Comment

"I didn't expect you to be smart when I first saw you."

"I didn't know men with long hair could be so nice."
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

In my local pub one night. It was quiet, only me and a group of 3 or 4 guys at another table. I'm sat at the bar chatting away with the barmaid (absolute stunner by the way) who's sat beside me.

One from the group comes up and buys a round of drinks. While they're being put up he leans towards me.

Him: "Sorry we didn't mean to cause offence before. We were just all flirting with her, you know how it goes. We didn't realise she was your girlfriend."

Me: Stunned silence... I mean this girl is drop dead gorgeous and they think she's dating me?. Short, fat hairy old me?

This guy sees the stunnedness on my face...

Him: "Oh my God! She's your daughter isn't she!"

crash

and

burn.

Comment

:Kitty (nickname) you look soooo sweet when you smile like that...just like my cat. Uhmmmm thanks??

after helping a customer figure out what kind of food to buy for her cat..."You and my cat would get along great!! You both have excellent taste in food...you should eat with my cat sometime... ahhh wtf!!? are you implying i eat cat food?

those are the worst compliments i have recieved. Yeah the customers that told me that were genuine in their compliments but damn!!! please don't compare me to how I remind you of your cat or that I should dine with your cat being as I am so nice and would get along great with him.
          NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

When I was 17, a particularly dense male asked me how old I was, and before I could answer said "You must have at least 5 or 6 kids by now!" I dunno if he was implying I looked old, or that I was fat, or what. His facial expression and demeanor made me think he was trying to flirt, but he failed, epically.

PS: Everyone thought I was in my mid to late 20's when I was under 18. Then literally the day of my 18th bday, I started getting carded everywhere I went. I even got carded going into a PG13 movie, that irked me some...
            "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
              PS: Everyone thought I was in my mid to late 20's when I was under 18. Then literally the day of my 18th bday, I started getting carded everywhere I went. I even got carded going into a PG13 movie, that irked me some...
              When I was 14, I was told by a bartender/bouncer that if I had walked into the bar, I'd of gotten a drink without question to check for ID (not then of course because she knew my age ).... Day I turned 21? Then I started getting carded for things needing to be 18... I'm talking people used to say (to someone over 21) "I think your id is fake, but you'd just have him buy it (meaning me... the 18 year old)". 21? Yep... asked for id....

Comment

MY favorite happens all to often:

'You are much better than the other people from <My Company> I've spoken to! They're all so CRAP and by comparison your THE BEST!!'

Some times they even like to name names: 'I spoke to Frank and he was TERRIBLE, you're SO much better...'

Whilst it is very nice of you to compliment me, giving shit to my co-workers does not endear you to me. Particularly when you name your least favorite of my co-workers - I happen to get along with pretty much every one I work with. Some of them are close friends of mine. I also trained about half the department, so, in telling me that they're shit, your actually having a go at me and my training methods.

Thanks so much.

Comment

Is a sighting okay?

I can't even quote it verbatim, but a few years ago we were in court -- we were suing someone -- and the judge was just finishing up with a case. It was some guy who'd been arrested for drunk driving, and the judge was sentencing him. He took it well and assured her he was going to move back to Backwoods County where they, apparently, didn't care so much if you got caught driving with a snootfull. Remind me not to go there. Then he told her that all the prisoners in the jail thought she was their favorite judge because she was so reasonable. She told him she wasn't sure that was a compliment. He couldn't understand why not.
                  Women can do anything men can.
                  But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                  Maxine

Comment

I was pouring a beer for a male customer.

"You give good head!"

He was talking about the head on the beer, and didn't understand why my eyes widened.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                      I was pouring a beer for a male customer.

"You give good head!"
                      well, that's something I'd be proud of

and while I'm not a beer drinker, can you give me good head too
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

When working in clothing retail:

"Oh wow, that shirt really hides your tummy!" Well I didn't feel fat BEFORE....

When working in an office:

"Hey, how'd you manage to lose, what" *pause to look me up and down* "15 lbs since the Christmas party?!" (party was Saturday, this was Monday. I guess my party dress wasn't as lovely as I thought.)

And with my warcraft guild:

"I never would have thought YOU were smart" 'cause I sound like a gnome IRL.

Comment

Working...
                        X