This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth EricKei View Post
    - What was the name of the character you played as in Donkey Kong? No, it wasn't Mario, his name got changed to that somewhere in between DK and Mario Bros.
    - Why is he called "Donkey" Kong anyway?
    After $14,792.75 in quarters at the sit down console version of it in the Cork & Dart pub, you would THINK I'd know..... All I got is "something" -man.

I believe (and this knowledge came much later, hence its better retention) that Miamoto (sp?) thought Donkey=Ass=Dumb in general in english instead of our usual use of it as a synonym for stubborn. So, Donkey Kong = Dumb Monkey.

Half a cookie?

Because of "The Perils of Pauline" I DO remember our princess-in-distress's name.

Comment

• Mario's name and feeling old

It was Jumpman.

One time at work, I made a joke that I was dragging like RuPaul after working some long hours. This young girl asked me who RuPaul was. (I'll be 38 next month.) I felt old.
      Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
        - Why is he called "Donkey" Kong anyway?
        I thought he was called Donkey because someone at NOA misheard/misread/mistranslated it and it should have been Monkey Kong.

Anyway, I knew I was getting old when one of my coworkers found a picture of an office party from years ago and said, "Oh, SKEEN! Look how YOUNG you were back then! Oh, don't you remember being that young? OMG, everyone up here just LOVED you when you were that young!"

The picture was taken like 5 years ago. I was 21.

Comment

• Quoth lobo94 View Post
          It was Jumpman.

One time at work, I made a joke that I was dragging like RuPaul after working some long hours. This young girl asked me who RuPaul was. (I'll be 38 next month.) I felt old.
          Jumpman!

Oh.

Well, that's what I yelled out at work today when it finally settled in. Tweener next to me (without missing a beat, OR asking WTF?) said "We call him Mario now grandpa..."

Kudos to him for the reference AND the slam!

And yeah. The old thing.

Comment

Working...
          X