This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
    I know the last two, can't remember who sings Tainted Love, but I remember that Sweet Dreams was done by The Eurhythmics.
    Tainted Love is by Soft Cell, and Personal Jesus is by Depeche Mode.

I make 80's cultural references all the time, and half of my co-workers just look at me blankly. *sigh*

You know you're getting old when....
    ... the fashions that were in style when you were in high school are making a come-back.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You know you're getting old...

When banned songs from your youth are elevator Muzak.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
        you can complete the following jingle... A sprinkle a day helps...
        <singing> Keeps the odor away. Have you had your sprinkle today?

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
        you remember SNL when it was Funny... and MAD TV when it was In Living Color...
        Candygram

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
        Perhaps my Mom said it best. She said that you know you're getting old when your Doctors start dying.
        But one of mine died when I was in my early 20's?

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        Tainted Love is by Soft Cell,
        The most well known version. The original was by Gloria Jones in 1964....I've heard it somewhere. Doesn't really sound too much different.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        I make 80's cultural references all the time, and half of my co-workers just look at me blankly. *sigh*

You know you're getting old when....
        ... the fashions that were in style when you were in high school are making a come-back.

^-.-^
        Tell me about it! My pharmacy manager gets the references, but she's 3 months younger than me.

I remember wearing leggings under skirts in high school....now, I find myself wondering why we thought that looked good.

One of the girls at work is having an 80's party....only 3 of us actually lived through the styles. The others have been asking us all kinds of questions.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
            WTF?!?!
            Leek Girl.

Quoth dalesys View Post
            When banned songs from your youth are elevator Muzak.
            Or songs about heroin are promoting cruise lines.....

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
            You know the songs, Personal Jesus, Tainted Love, and Sweet Dreams ....
            and to top it all off Ren and Stimpy....
            And have them on your MP3 player by those artists.

I miss Ren and Stimpy. Pinky and the Brain too (although much later.)

And my addendum.

YKYGOW:

You start to make sounds getting in and out of the car.

Songs by artists whose first tour you went to are now 'classics.'

Comment

My dad and are always competing in music. We're the audiophiles in the family.

However, telling someone that Akon was *not* the first person to record "Mr. Lonely" will get you blank looks. Bobby Vinton wrote it in the 60s.

"Sukiyaki" was NOT an original by 4 P.M; it was a number 1 in 1963 in Japan by an artist named Kyu Sakimoto...

and people look at you funny when you randomly burst into song in a store because they happen to be playing a original performance of a song (artist doesn't matter, because you know they're thinking "freak!" ) that was recorded long before anyone else remembers.

Then again, when I start humming "In The Mood" people ask what I'm singing - and mentioning The Glenn Miller Band gets even *odder* looks than singing in a store. (Bonus points if you can name the years the GMB was popular...)
              "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
              ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Quoth Munkie View Post
                Then again, when I start humming "In The Mood" people ask what I'm singing - and mentioning The Glenn Miller Band gets even *odder* looks than singing in a store. (Bonus points if you can name the years the GMB was popular...)
                I have the GMB version of the Anvil Chorus on rotation.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Munkie View Post
                  the 1930's and into WWII when he died in a plane crash over the English Channel.

My mom and dad were from that era and I kinda like that type of music. Glen Miller, Benny Goodman (I want to find Live at Carnegie Hall) , the Dorseys, the Mills Brothers, etc. inherited enough vynal (sp) LP records from that era. gotta love that big band/swing music.

anyone remember Mitch Miller????? Jerry Lee Lewis???? Bobby Daren??????

and remembering when punched cards were the "HEIGHT" of high tech. when the IBM 360/370 series was da bomb.

Tang (is that even still around??) was the astronauts drink of choise
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Rick Springfield is going to be 60 this year and Billy Idol is 53....and just about nobody under 25 knows who they are. Which is why I carry a Billy Idol CD with me when I get my hair cut.

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    Tang (is that even still around??) was the astronauts drink of choise
                    Yep, sure is. Since I can't drink orange juice from concentrate* anymore, that's the only way I can get orange-y goodness.

*Fresh squeezed is, honestly, too expensive to buy and too much work to do my own.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

<.<

>.>

I dare anyone to finish these lyrics from a 70's to early 80's saturday morning ritual.

Conjunction junction.........
                      Lolly, Lolly, Lolly.........
                      I'm just a bill......

P.S. I bet you can't get the songs out of your head.
                      I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        anyone remember Jerry Lee Lewis????
                        Oh baby, you knooooow what I like! (Name that song for bonus points and yes I realize that even for him it was a cover but I don't CARE because he was awesome)
                        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                          Oh baby, you knooooow what I like! (Name that song for bonus points and yes I realize that even for him it was a cover but I don't CARE because he was awesome)
                          Isn't it "Chantilly Lace", originally sung by The Big Bopper?
                          Last edited by Beckduer; 07-10-2009, 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Quoth Beckduer View Post
                            Isn't it "Chantilly Lace", originally sung by The Big Bopper?
                            That's the one! LOVE Jerry Lee Lewis' cover of it.

I'm actually listening to Great Balls of Fire right now....soooooooooo good! http://tinysong.com/fJn

And for a real treat: Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins singing Blue Suede Shoes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1Y1ekHhF8
                            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                              uhm... you remember Bush being president....the one that drove Iraq from Kuwait, not the one that went into Iraq...or even better remember him as VP...and get out your cane if you remember him as the CIA director.
                              Dude, I remember when NIXON was president. I remember the gas crisis, too, and I wasn't near old enough to drive at that time. And who could forget the peanut farmer from Georgia? And I'm not even American, oy.

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                              I know the last two, can't remember who sings Tainted Love, but I remember that Sweet Dreams was done by The Eurhythmics. And I'm only 18

Does that make me old?
                              Nahhhh... just means you have good taste in music.
                              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth marlovino View Post
                                <.<

>.>

I dare anyone to finish these lyrics from a 70's to early 80's saturday morning ritual.

P.S. I bet you can't get the songs out of your head.
                                Curse you !!!!

Do I need to admit I have all of the damned schoolhouse rockshows on dvd ?

Look ... 30th anniversary edition dvd ...
                                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                                X