This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm getting slapped with a huge penalty

For those of you who don't know, I'm self-employed. Much of my work is done through a large company that handles a great deal of the work in my field. They get the work, they pay me to do it (not enough), they deal with the end client.

Well, I did an assignment recently, and the client is Not Happy. After looking at the job, I agree fully with the client. I fucked it up. The client had to pay a rather large sum due to my mistake. The company is also Not Happy. Company has told me that they are paying the client's costs, letting me know the sum of such costs. Company expects me to pay a certain amount of said costs. I cannot disagree, because it was my fault.

I do not like this. I am getting business liability insurance next week, to cover the amount I have to pay. I said to another supplier today, "I know life is telling me that it's time to get out of this line of work. I just want it to give me something GOOD to get into."

The other supplier replied, "Let me know when you do."

You should have a contract with your employer specifying who is responsible in the event of "error & omissions". If you do not have a contract that specifically states YOU are responsible then I would tell them to pound sand.

If they thought YOU were responsible then they would not be paying anything... you are just a contractor, THEY are responsible for YOUR actions.

Comment

Well, I'm in touch with a friend who is a lawyer, and he's giving me explicit instructions on what to do, and what not to do. It occurred to me - and he agreed - that it may well be that they're trying to scam me, and that there may have been no financial penalties whatsoever. So he's telling me what papers to get from them, to make sure. And, jiarby, that's a good point, but things are done a bit differently here, so I'm not really sure about the legal standing. And it's been so long since I signed an agreement with them, I'm not even sure what it said. Yes, I need to know these things. I realize that.

All the suppliers I know have had it with this company, for various reasons. It ought to be an interesting event.

Comment

Working...
      X