This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Threatening Us?

I went to sign up for my mandatory overtime that I have to do every week, and notice a little note placed on the very first page....I will leave out the fact that the spelling and grammar was, of course, wrong and looked as if it'd been typed up in 10 seconds by an 8 year old.......or er, I won't leave it out, I'll just regurgitate what it really meant:

"Please be sure you are putting in some overtime on the weekends, as the weekends are when we need the most extra resources. If there are not enough volunteers for weekend overtime, we WILL consider making mandatory overtime weekends only!"

Oooh, nice threat there. Uh let's see....we're on mandatory overtime because the idiot monkeys in their expensive suits refuse to hire anyone.....people are already putting in anywhere from an extra 4 to 12 to even 16 hours a week (some people do extra, others just do what's required) and now we're being threatened that if we don't start sacrificing our weekends that are our ONLY time off of work, they'll make it mandatory to do it on the weekend?

Oh, we've been there before, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

Know what? When overtime is mandatory, it shouldn't matter WHEN the hours are worked, if there are open spots in the book to sign up for, people are going to fill the spots. How about instead of threatening those of us who DO our overtime and still enjoy our *MUCH NEEDED* time off, why not go after people who keep sneaking away with not doing any overtime, and make them work weekends? Or how about just be fucking happy that overtime is being done, period?!

I love idle threats. It's the same as a couple of years ago when we were threatened with "If more people don't start volunteering to work overtime, we WILL make it mandatory!"

Yes, we are such bad bad people who don't want to help out because we don't want to work on the weekend.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

That sucks. Just remember, Blas, that if they DO start enforcing mandatory weekend overtime, that it's against the law (in Wisconsin, at least) for any hourly workers to work all 7 days in a work week. They can't make you work Sun-Sat. They CAN make you work Monday of the first week through Friday of the second week, which would be incredibly shitty of them. Good luck!

Comment

I hope they check to see who's putting-in the least overtime and give them the weekends. Nice dream, but probably won't happen in real life.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Wow, it's either rain or shine, isn't it? It wasn't too long ago that people were given time off and now it's mandatory overtime. My main job (also manufacturing, though I work in the office) is going through the same thing. We're down on sales & cutting hours, but now we don't have enough workforce to keep up with current orders. You can't have it both ways.

Wouldn't it have been better to ask for volunteers on the weekends? Or have someone (heaven forbid) allot a first-come-first-serve to positions during the week? That way if people have mandatory overtime, it will sort itself out. Wait, what am I thinking. Someone would actually have to manage such a schedule. And we all know it's easier to just threaten and be a blowhard.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

There's a few people from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift who always do their overtime on the weekend because they just can't do it during the week.....due to a second job or spouse's job or kids or school or whatever have you. It's not like no one is doing it....it is usually first-come first-serve on the signup sheet....I know I race to it so that I don't get stuck on the weekend or coming in early!

I really wish that worked, Maggie, but in the past when we've been on mandatory overtime, because the way 3rd shift works, I have worked Sunday-Saturday, technically starting at 11 pm Sunday and my last day of work ended at 7 am Saturday.

Comment

When I worked in the Call Center from Hell, they would announce how many hours of mandatory overtime we were required to work. Then they would add that 8 hours of it had to be worked on a Saturday. This used to really piss me off, because I always worked voluntary overtime. I would work 3 hours of OT each day, Monday through Friday, and have my weekends off. Since we were technically closed on weekends, the Post Office did not delivery mail on Saturday. So, it didn't really matter if we worked on Saturday. They did it just because they could. That was just the <name of company> way of doing things - in other words, screwed up.
            "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

We're up and running 24/7, every day except major holidays.

I guess before anyone hops on my case and tells me to just be thankful that I have a job, I'm not complaining about the overtime (although it'd be nice to go a week or two without it) itself, just the fact that they are threatening to assign us when to do it. I've been there/done that and it just makes you feel more like a child and a worthless slave.

Comment

I prefer to do my overtime by coming in early, rather than staying late or god forbid weekends I'm at my best in the morning...and by later afternoon I"ve had it and don't have the brain power anymore.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The ONLY time I ever get to see my boyfriend and my friends that I don't work with is on the weekends. Naturally, I will not go out of my way to work on a weekend.

Speaking of which, I actually WAS going to do some weekend overtime in the beginning of September (except for Labor Day weekend, because it wouldn't be time and a half pay) because my boyfriend will be gone for a few weeks, and so I can get some extra cash and not spend all those weekends out partying and wasting money. But then I recently heard what's really been going on during the weekends and why they get so behind....now I absolutely refuse to do any overtime on the weekend until they literally make me do it and I don't have enough vacation hours to take a day off.

My shift is just as short staffed, and we still get our fair share of production numbers. The weekend shifts don't...because they horse around and depend on other shifts to come in and do all the work.

Oh, what's even better now? We lost that little loophole we used to have, where if you took a day off using PTO, you were not required to do your mandatory overtime, since it wouldn't be time and a half. Guess what? Even if you take a day off...you still have to do it.

No thanks, I'll take a strike against my attendance. When I go on my mini vacation in a couple of weeks, I will NOT be doing overtime once I get back. I will be leaving when my shift is over, period.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but if I am recalling previous stories accurately then wouldn't the better option be to get rid of the dead weight and hire people actually willing to work and do the job?

Also you can gently remind them that what they are trying to pull, with the overtime, is remarkable similar to what was tried with the US Postal service in the 80's and 90's. That particular series of events gave rise to the phrase: Going Postal...
                    Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      We're up and running 24/7, every day except major holidays.

I guess before anyone hops on my case and tells me to just be thankful that I have a job, I'm not complaining about the overtime (although it'd be nice to go a week or two without it) itself, just the fact that they are threatening to assign us when to do it. I've been there/done that and it just makes you feel more like a child and a worthless slave.
                      Nothing wrong about complaining about working overtime. Like you said, they really should be hiring extra workers to comphensate for it.
                      I think I'll smash someone in the face the next time they say, "You're lucky you have a job!"

Comment

Our only excuse we've gotten from the idiots in suits for the blanket overtime and continued short-staffing and refusal to hire anymore or bring back more temps that were let go last time things went downhill is because they don't want to overstaff just in case things go wrong again.

As it stands, we currently have no backlog whatsoever...customers only order what they need as they need it, no longer ordering in bulk, months and months worth of product at a time, no more constant multi million dollar orders from almost every customer every week.

Well, that makes sense then blas, you all probably are saying.

It would make sense if that were the way it ALWAYS was going lately. It isn't. Every couple of weeks, we get a random new customer or out of the blue order that is super expensive or super difficult to build, and it has to be done within a week or less....this keeps happening over and over lately....and we have constantly missed ship date because of understaffing on all the night shifts.

Comment

Something else to consider is how unemployement affects things. I don't know about your state, Blas, but our company has been part of the Shared Work Program for most of the year. So when production has a reduction of hours by 20%, they can claim unemployment for those missing hours. Same goes for when we had our furlough, we could claim unemployment. Unfortunately, being part of the Shared Work Program means the company can't hire any new help. So now that we're having a small surge in orders and are still catching up from a backlog of orders after the furlough, we have to just tough it out with our limited staff. And orders continue to be late.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I guess before anyone hops on my case and tells me to just be thankful that I have a job,
                            i don't think any of us here have a death-wish

that is sucky and very immature
                            and is it even legal where you work?

Comment

I don't know down to the exact nitty gritty, but I do know that mandatory overtime is very legal, and they can make you work as much as they want you to, and the company can choose when you have to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X