X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get off the phone.

Have a customer in the store now, asking "is xx wine cold?"

Except she's on the phone. Gossiping with some random person on the other end of the line.

So I'm having to figure out whether she's talking to me, or to her friend.

Oh, look. She's talking to me. Wait...is she?

Yes. She is.

And now I know more about her friend's wedding and bachelorette party than I would ever want to know about ANY woman's wedding and hen party.

I didn't even know you could have a bachelorette party at a dance hall that specializes in strip dancing...and have the stripper teach you...

I say this every day. I have a neighbor at work who makes multiple personal phone calls every single day and no one who actually has any authority over him seems to give a s***. Among many other things, I know more about his parents' medical issues than any nonfamily member should, and I want to smack the hell out of his idiot kid. After I jam the phone receiver into his head.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You know, for some unknown reason I used to feel bad for interrupting someone who was on the phone at my register.

Until finally it dawned on me how FRIGGEN rude they were being.

And now that I've found this site I'm actually to the point where i genuinely smile when i encounter this situation because I'm just so amused. I feel better knowing that there are others here who share my frustration.

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
        And now that I've found this site I'm actually to the point where i genuinely smile when i encounter this situation because I'm just so amused. I feel better knowing that there are others here who share my frustration.
        I used to just conduct the transaction as normal. I'd ask if they had a member card, tell them their total, tell them their change...and when they completely ignored me, I made a special point of telling their back "Thank you! Have a nice day! " as they walked away...

Then I'd roll my eyes and take the next customer.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
          I didn't even know you could have a bachelorette party at a dance hall that specializes in strip dancing...and have the stripper teach you...
          unfortunately yes ... I went to one recently. I normally will lay my crutches [I have spiffy light blue canadian crutches, I hate generic aluminum =)] where they are out of the way and I can get to them easily. Stupid bint 'teaching' in the group of 4 strippers was getting random people in the group up to do some dance step she was teaching ... and she kept trying to get me up to dance, and ended up saying that 'nobody is too fat to dance, it is all in your mind.' So I decide to thrash on her. I grabbed my crutches, stumped up to the pole and asked if gimps were included, or just fat broads. turned and stumped back to my seat and sat down.

There is usually a reason I refuse to do these type of parties...and inane entertainment is high on my list of hatreds. Dude, if someone says NO THANKS to your invite to do something horribly stupid, you might let them refuse and be polite about it.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            I say this every day. I have a neighbor at work who makes multiple personal phone calls every single day and no one who actually has any authority over him seems to give a s***. Among many other things, I know more about his parents' medical issues than any nonfamily member should, and I want to smack the hell out of his idiot kid. After I jam the phone receiver into his head.
            I had a similar experience. A coworker sitting in the cubicle behind me ALWAYS took about 15 personal calls a day. Worse, she took them LOUDLY. And, since I was the lowest rung on the ladder, I had to answer all the phones that rang and no one picked up, including hers. After 14 years of this, another coworker visibly twitched everytime this phone rang (it was actually pretty funny). So one day I answered her phone with my generic department greeting and her boyfriend said, "Hey baby, whatcha wearin'?" I hung up, told my supervisor, and the next time the guy called and she answered it, he got an earful.

It got so bad we started taking a tally of how many calls a day she made/received. There were well over 100 in about a week.

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
              So one day I answered her phone with my generic department greeting and her boyfriend said, "Hey baby, whatcha wearin'?"
              (in old lady voice)

What am I wearing? Why, my dentures, a girdle, long nightie, my nightcap and a well-used Depends.... now come strip me sonny boy!

(Sorry... waaaaay too much time dealing with weirdos calling the cellphone tech support line. That particular line was how I found out that my boss could shoot hot coffee out his nose....)

-Wembley
              Originally Posted by edible_hat
              (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

If I had been the blackmailing sort (and faster with a recorder) I could have made mint off a co-worker who used to average 3 personal calls an hour.
                No matter what we had going on, or when the deadlines were, she had to stop and "just take this one really important call". That's how I found out about her affair, divorce, dating a man twice her age who happen to be other co-worker's father, and her write-ups for *gasp* being on the phone too much.

Comment

And just now, a customer came in, on the phone. But he pulled the phone away from his ear long enough to greet me and he was very clear about when he was talking on the phone, and when he was talking to me. Frankly, I wouldn't have known he was on the phone if I hadn't watched him pull it away from his ear.

I prefer a customer to not be on the phone at all, but if they must, that is the way to go about it.

Comment

This is why I love the policy that several local restaurants have, in big bold letters, right next to the registers... In short, "If you're on a cell phone when you get to the front of the line, either hang up or we take the next person in line instead of you" More places need to do this...
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      This is why I love the policy that several local restaurants have, in big bold letters, right next to the registers... In short, "If you're on a cell phone when you get to the front of the line, either hang up or we take the next person in line instead of you" More places need to do this...
                      The USPS branch that I use has a sign up to that effect, too. Wish we could put one up like that at work. I mean we're only dispensing medication, some of which could kill if taken wrong.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        The USPS branch that I use has a sign up to that effect, too. Wish we could put one up like that at work. I mean we're only dispensing medication, some of which could kill if taken wrong.
                        And the downside of this is?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          A local ice cream parlor downtown has a sign right on the door that says "Hang up the phone before you get in line." My husband and I said we had to stop in there next time we went downtown.
                          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            And the downside of this is?
                            Well, there's just so much paperwork involved....
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Wembley View Post
                              (in old lady voice)

What am I wearing? Why, my dentures, a girdle, long nightie, my nightcap and a well-used Depends.... now come strip me sonny boy!

If I had the ability to see into the phone at the other person's face . . .

*dies laughing*
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X