This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being hacked?

I have a Dell laptop about a year old that has Microsoft Vista (rrrrr!!!!). I don't know squat about techie stuff.

Before we go further, I have cable internet, no router, just one computer, no network, obviously I use an ethernet cable to connect.

Anywho, I got this message last week and still keep getting it. I will sum it up.

"Another computer with the same IP address has logged on to the network. Would you like to diagnose the problem?"

Then you can click on Diagnose, which for me, hasn't done anything but tell me that it can't find a problem. You can click on Repair if it comes up with a problem that can be fixed.

Is someone hacking into my computer and stealing info, or is my modem just a piece of crap and losing it's information that it's sending?
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

If you can go to a command prompt and type "ipconfig", you might get information useful for tracking down the source of the message. (Although I don't know offhand whether this works under Vista.)

A couple months ago, my attempts at dealing with a DSL failure resulted in a laptop claiming the DSL modem's IP address for its own; this didn't work out very well for it. In your case, a wild guess involves one of your neighbors doing something stupid (rather than malicious) with their computer's TCP/IP configuration.

Comment

From the description of what you've got, Argus is right. Some neighbor has misconfigured their computer, and you're seeing the error message.

For your setup (unlike Ree's similar question a couple weeks back), your fix is easier: Call up the ISP, tell them about the error message. They'll get some info from you, and then go beat up a neighbor.

Comment

Hacked? Doubt it. There would be something FAR worse than that coming up or you would get a visit from either the FBI or CIA, depending on who the hacker pissed off.

I third the above. Some moron is trying to manually configure their IP address on the equivalent of bonsai pruning with a weed whacker. Like Pederson said, give your ISP a call so they can purge the problem.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          Before we go further, I have cable internet, no router, just one computer, no network, obviously I use an ethernet cable to connect.
          Because the only network you're on is the cable company's... I'd recommend going through their helpdesk to deal with the issue. Unless your computer has something wireless on it you don't know about... there simply isn't any other active network.
          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Working...
          X