This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messenger on Linux

What is the messenger program on Linux? I know you can set it up to have your aim and yahoo contacts. Am I able to download that onto a machine running windows and if so, where would I find it?
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

I believe Trillian is well-regarded as a multi-IM client.

Comment

There are many. My personal favorites are Pidgin (GTK+ based) and Kopete (KDE based).

If you need a MSN only client that somewhat resembles Miscrosoft's Messenger so a new user won't get lost using it I'd recommend AMSN instead.

P.s. Pidgin has a windows version altough it's not great. They're mainly linux programs.

If you want a cross platform IM program that includes windows and Linux you can also get Mercury. It's Java based and runs in many systems.
      Last edited by Bliss; 09-13-2008, 12:39 AM.
      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Pidgin is the program you are looking for. It's a multi im opensource IM program. It with scripts or standard can run most IM standards in the world. IT's on all major and unmajor platforms so yes it will work on windows.

Comment

You could also hit up meebo.com and deal with it on teh interwebs.

B
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
            P.s. Pidgin has a windows version altough it's not great. They're mainly linux programs.
            Actually, I use the portable windows version, and it's pretty good. Low resource, not a lot of flashy stuff to distract you. Exactly what you need when you're on a school/work computer.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Take your pick. There are a bunch. Open up your distro's package manager and poke around.

I used bitlbee for a while. It was interesting.

I don't use IM much though so eh.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I use Kopete and it works rather well.
                When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Working...
                X