This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Photos... And Babies...

Little explanation before I go into things, there's no such thing as a universal standard passport photo size, for example the US and India use a 2x2" photo, Canada is 40x50mm, most of the rest of the world, Australia, Europe, some parts of Asia are 35x45mm, and Russia and Iran are the same, but on matte paper (not glossy like the rest) and the maximum/minimum size of the persons head can vary between country to country even if the print is the same (ie UK is about 5mm smaller than AUS, so the same photo can't be used for both) so when someone comes in asking after "the standard size" I have to ask which one.

We've recently moved over to a biometric system, has profiles/sizing for about 20 or so countries, so if it's one of those it's easy for us to size up and print, though for many not on the list, it's up to the customer to know/bring in their passport/visa paperwork.

Please note there will be mention of racial stereotypes from my experience below, bit only in passing, the actual race will not be mentioned, just what seems to be typical behaviour.

Customer type 1
    Is all prepared, either knows the exact size or has their paperwork right there. Multiple sizes means extra cost? Okay. No problems in and out in minutes, prjkt is happy.

Customer type 2
    "Don't you know?"
    No we don't know the passport photo requirements for Uzbekistan or Myanmar, and no it's not my job to look it up when there's half a dozen people in the shop, the smartphone in your hand has a faster internet connection than these ageing terminal.

Bonus points: Customer will often complain that the post office is cheaper. Yet failing to realise the reason they came to my shop is that the post office only takes Australian passport photos, and not very well at that.

Customer type 3
    "You gave me the wrong size!"
    Often the result of the following:
    A) Saying yes when I ask, "For an Australian passport"
    B) Saying "the standard size" multiple times (see above) so they got the Australian standard
    C) Having no idea what size in the first place, asking us to guess, then blaming us when it's wrong

I usually put notes on these customers receipts detailing the reasons they will not get a refund/reshoot

Customer type 4
    It's a passport photo, not a job interview/portrait

This ones weird. Sure I can understand neatening your hair, wiping your face before the photo, but applying makeup for 20 minutes in store?
    Getting offended when I don't have a spare tie hanging around for passport photos?
    Changing into a business short and tie, while making me wait as you do so because you're in a hurry and not letting me serve others who are waiting?
    Yes I can see you wear glasses, and yes I can see the reflections off your glasses that will get your photo rejected by the passport office, so stop wasting time and take them off.
    It's just a passport photo. No, there's no discount.

I really don't get some cultures - I do try to be open minded but some things go a little too far for me to comprehend.

Customer type 5
    Parents with babies.
    I understand getting a photo of a baby looking straight at the camera is a challenge, but if you come in and your brat is fast asleep, you'll be turned back around instantly.
    Baby just woken up + bright camera flash = broken eardrums. I speak from experience.

Most people understand once we explain that the best time is when the little one has been awake for a while, just had a feed and is content. One certain demographic especially, does not.

"We'll just wake he/she/it up"

No you won't. Oh your not listening? Please excuse me while I put my earplugs in.
    (Second job as a nightclub photographer means I have earplugs on my keychain, so I actually have done this - customer was really offended by this, and even more so when I said, "I warned you," over the shrieking of her precious offspring.)

"But we're in a hurry"

Doesn't matter, your kid's asleep right now, not going to happen.

If the baby starts screaming, take it for a walk, and by that I don't mean standing in the narrow doorway, blocking anyone who wants to come in and spend money. FFS use your brain people, and think about others for a change.

I did spy one customer follow my advice, temporarily. Went out of the shop, and started poking the baby to wake it up. Succeeded. Photo was still a failure so I told them to leave again, come back half an hour later... They weren't happy bit I wasn't going to let them waste my staffed member's time on a doomed quest to force an 8 mth old who wasn't having any of it.

Sometimes I wonder why we still offer passport photos, then I remember, luckily, customer type 1 is the most common.
    Last edited by EricKei; 03-15-2014, 03:40 AM. Reason: changed problematic name for a baby

Customer type 3 not being ready, but not letting you serve others until they are ready? They should be given 2 choices: either you serve others while they're getting ready, then you serve them as the next customer once they're ready, or they go someplace else for their photograph.

This is the sort of thing the U.N. should deal with - everyone get together and decide on a standard format for passport/visa photos. After all, border guards will be dealing with passports from all over the world, so it would make THEIR jobs easier if there were only one format. I'm surprised that there aren't SCs (in this case, sucky countries) which reject passports whose photos don't meet THEIR standards, even though they meet the standards of the country issuing the passports in question (and where a photo meeting SC's standards would be rejected by the country issuing the passports).

May you deal with many more type 1 customers.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

This is the sort of thing the U.N. should deal with - everyone get together and decide on a standard format for passport/visa photos. After all, border guards will be dealing with passports from all over the world, so it would make THEIR jobs easier if there were only one format. I'm surprised that there aren't SCs (in this case, sucky countries) which reject passports whose photos don't meet THEIR standards, even though they meet the standards of the country issuing the passports in question (and where a photo meeting SC's standards would be rejected by the country issuing the passports).
      i dont know without talking to a customes agent i would think every country having a different standard would be good for preventing forgeries

Comment

I forgot about customers not liking the photos (too bad in most cases) if it passes the requirements then we've done all we need to.
        And yes, your skin really is that colour (you'd be surprised how many people try to claim differently - without sounding racist, I have had customers who believe their skin is a lighter shade than it actually is...)

Comment

I hate taking passport photos. Our machines are able to take ones for other countries but I didn't even know that until one of my dopey coworkers took one and then couldn't figure out how to cut the pictures. (We have a special cutter for the US passports.) I was like "Uh use scissors?"

I also had one lady come back with her passport picture because she didn't like how she looked. I had to take her picture 4 times before she was satisfied. They all looked the same to me. Though there was one lady that I almost offered to retake her picture because it was...well bad. She didn't seem to care so I let it go. Besides it probably wouldn't be very professional of me to just come out and say "Eesh lady you sure you want to look at this for the next 10 years??"
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

As far as US passports go, I took my own photo, sized it to specs in a photo editor, and printed it out myself. Accepted, and it took me like 5 min.

I also took my best friend's passport photo, and his wife's...I know not everyone has a digital camera and computer, but surely more people these days could manage to do it themselves...
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I will retake one or two pictures before I send it through. Afterwards is a no go. Sorry, I am a very busy person in the lab. I cannot and will not retake a picture because you think your hair looks too frizzy.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                I also had one lady come back with her passport picture because she didn't like how she looked. I had to take her picture 4 times before she was satisfied. They all looked the same to me. Though there was one lady that I almost offered to retake her picture because it was...well bad. She didn't seem to care so I let it go. Besides it probably wouldn't be very professional of me to just come out and say "Eesh lady you sure you want to look at this for the next 10 years??"
                I'll ask for ONE retake of a picture and then if I still look like an idiot I just figure that's how my face is and suck it up. It's not like I have to show it THAT often, and everyone knows driver's license/passport photos always look terrible anyway.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                  Parents with babies
                  I can only imagine! I had to have my passport photo taken 5 times, because it was rejected the first four. The last time he spent over 1/2 hour taking pictures, moving lights, adding foundation, taking pictures, moving my shirt, taking pictures etc. because I only had 5 weeks left until my plane left with or without me, and I was a little panicked. That's with an adult that can follow directions. I can't imagine trying to get an acceptable pic of a baby, never mind one that has just been woken up.

You must have the patience of a saint.
                  Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                    Though there was one lady that I almost offered to retake her picture because it was...well bad. She didn't seem to care so I let it go. Besides it probably wouldn't be very professional of me to just come out and say "Eesh lady you sure you want to look at this for the next 10 years??"
                    Maybe she wanted a picture so that she could follow Aunt Erma's advice, "When you look like your passport photo, it's time to go home."
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      ..."When you look like your passport photo,...
                      it's time to ship the carcass home... embalmed.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I can understand fussing over a photograph that's going to be prominently displayed on your wall or end table, but a passport or photo ID picture? Who freaking cares?

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          I can understand fussing over a photograph that's going to be prominently displayed on your wall or end table, but a passport or photo ID picture? Who freaking cares?
                          I bet these are the same folks who throw a tantrum at the DMV over their license photos (ie, mugshots) not looking like they want.

Geez, folks, get over yourselves already. While I've never had a passport photo (never traveled out of the country so I've never had need for a passport - unless you count going into my brother's bedroom to clean it) as long as it's viewable I don't see an issue.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Your passport photo should look like the everyday you to avoid the problem this guy had.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If you *actually* look like your passport photo, you probably aren't well enough to travel.

Or so the saying goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X