Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales from a Discount Store (scammers) (language, long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these people trying to scam makes me wonder why every time I have actually been short changed, given the wrong order or been missing items from an order I have just been given the correct amount/item when I mention it to the cashier. I've only had a manager called once, and that was because the order that was missing items was on a previous order and the cashier couldn't discount without the managers key. I would have thought that cashiers would be trained to call the manager, not just hand out that whatever that was missing.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
      I remember...way, way back in another life when people weren't so f---ing in a hurry, we used to count back change. If the school didn't teach you how, your parents played Monopoly with you and made you be "the Bank"

"Your purchase came to $25.75." {Handing custy a quarter) "Twenty-six. (handing back ones) Twenty-seven, twenty-eight, twenty-nine, thirty, and (handing over a tenner) ten is forty."

Of course, those intent on scamming you anyway would be hopping from foot to foot, sighing impatiently, before they got to the till, and try to rush you anyway.

I still miss the old days.
      I do this for every transaction - it serves twofold - to make sure *I* didn't make a mistake, and to ensure to the customer that they are getting the correct change. I don't care that it might take an extra 15 seconds.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

NecCath: Sometimes when someone mentions it, you immediately remember your own brain fart. 'Oh, yes, they're right, the 20 is right there'. If you DON'T remember it, and someone is trying to gaslight you into believing it anyway... that's a scam.

Comment

Not to hijack, but I just had a great one. Guy was antsy while waiting in my line, holding his money in his hand & irritating the shit out of me. I ring his purchase & take his $20, thinking it felt funny. Looked at it & no watermark or security stripe. Marked with the detector pen & DING, DING, DING...WE HAVE A WINNER!! COUNTERFEIT!!

Manager comes over & the guy admits he knew it was bad. Manager says we have to call the police, he books out of the store. Said he was gonna go get his Momma. Yeah, right. We got his ass on video. Scumbag.
          Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

DO NOT allow a scammer to make you feel bad. They're insulting you as a tactic - sometimes a person who falls for it will give them the money they want.

Yes, they're calling you every name in the book and some others they just made up.

Yes, they're belittling you, cursing you, doing everything they think they can possibly get away with to reduce your self-esteem.

It's a tactic. It's cold-blooded, cold-hearted THEFT. It's part of the theft, in fact. They're trying to steal from the store by breaking the store's security - and right at the moment, that security is YOU.

I completely agree with all the people here who've said that the moment they start this shit (and I don't apologise for the language), you put all the money in the drawer, close the drawer, and call for the manager.

Your manager is a higher level of security; and (a) should be more experienced in handling this sort of technique, (b) should be being paid to handle this, and (c) has the authority to handle it - which you don't.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I agree 100% with Seshat. DON'T feel bad when they call you names, because you know THEY are the ones trying to pull something. They're just pissed off that the scam didn't work.

Sounds like your manager is a good one.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

For #2, considering the scammer was so keen to get three coins, I would have given her a £1 coin and two 50p pieces. There's your three coins!
                "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

My sympathies with those scammers. I remember way back in retail a scammer pulling this on me. My register was short and my supervisor demoted me to floorwalking. At least your supe came when called, mine was always hiding. Just the word, Retail, SHUDDER!
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post
                    Not to hijack, but I just had a great one. Guy was antsy while waiting in my line, holding his money in his hand & irritating the shit out of me. I ring his purchase & take his $20, thinking it felt funny. Looked at it & no watermark or security stripe. Marked with the detector pen & DING, DING, DING...WE HAVE A WINNER!! COUNTERFEIT!!

Manager comes over & the guy admits he knew it was bad. Manager says we have to call the police, he books out of the store. Said he was gonna go get his Momma. Yeah, right. We got his ass on video. Scumbag.

He tried to pin it on his MOMMA??????????????

Double Triple Scumbag .... she's probably a little old lady who NEVER raised her kids to do things like this

Or wait! Maybe he was gonna go get his MOMMA to get him out of this .... "Yes officer, he's telling ya tha truth (my boy NEVER lies!!!!) I surely gave that boy a $20 that I made in that there back room. Silly me! <giggle>" Um yeah THAT'LL work for sure!

Comment

It's funny just how many people are out to scam people who work in shops, and by funny I mean downright sucky.
                      I've had the name calling thing done to me, and the old "I'm in a rush!" Ploy, but when they get aggressive I find going introvert and shutting them out while I double check what I did works wonders. Plus it makes you work slower so it gets on their nerves as much as they're getting on mind

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                        I once had someone try to scam me in the other direction, some gal in the drive through at a fast food place shorted me $10 and tried to refuse to get her manager over to count down her till when I called her on it. I sat tight, insisted, and whadayaknow? Her till was over. By more than my $10.
                        When I worked in food service at King of Burgers, I heard stories of employees who would ring up a customer's order, then after it was made, they'd delete the order and pocket the money. They busted (and fired) one girl on camera doing that, when she basically stole about $20 doing that.
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I don't know if I've told this story before, but it's an interesting one. I'm re-counting it from memory, and I don't recall all of the details, but here we go...

The King of Burgers where I worked also had a gas station part to it. It was arranged so that the gas station register looked out to the pumps and was right next to the manager's office. The other registers were perpendicular to that, and faced a different street.

Anyway, one night I'm the MOD (I'd reached Assistant Mgr. at this point), and some lady comes in claiming we short-changed her on her gas purchase. I don't recall all the details, but I ended up calling MY manager (the Store manager), because essentially the lady refused to leave until she got her money. I should have just called the police, but I handled it differently. Because I knew that this lady wasn't shorted.

Now, my store manager was cool. She was cool with the employees, and to my recollection, never took crap from customers.

Anyway, fortunately my manager lives in the same town where the KoB was. So I call her up (and this is like 10 PM or so), and she'd just worked that morning. She comes in, pulls the register, counts it, and guess what...it's not over by any amount.

Lady is mad and leaves in a huff, knowing she was caught.

Another quick side story...my manager is working one slow morning, and I'm working with her. Someone yells to her <manager>! Someone is trying to drive off without paying for gas!! So the manager high-tails it out the front door, gets their plate number, and screams at the person, "WE GOT YOUR PLATE NUMBER, YOU SON OF A B*TCH!!"

She came back in, red-faced, and a couple of other employees and I were rolling with laughter, just because we didn't expect that reaction out of her.
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Being short on your till by more than a trivial amount is a very bad thing. Being over by more than a trivial/"miscounted some coins" amount, however, is far, far worse....and this is why.
                            Quoth Kittish View Post
                            I once had someone try to scam me in the other direction, some gal in the drive through at a fast food place shorted me $10 and tried to refuse to get her manager over to count down her till when I called her on it. I sat tight, insisted, and whadayaknow? Her till was over. By more than my $10.
                            Guess why she tried to refuse to get her manager? If you'd let her get away with it, her till would have been spot-on at the end of her shift - because the overage (note that she shorted you by a nice round number, which is easy to remember) would have been in her pocket.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X