Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often refer to my truck as Jester's Blue Cab. But only in the sense that I'm totally willing (most of the time) to act as a cab for my friends when they need it, especially here on the island where so many people don't have cars. It's not like I charge them or anything. Well, maybe a beer from time to time. Or gas if they need me to take them to the mainland. (Yes, this has happened on more than one occasion.) But in no legal way is it a cab. Hell, even with my occasional road trips, the Blue Cab averages far less mileage per year than most people's vehicles. (This may have a whole lot to do with my living on a 2 by 4 mile island......)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Get to the choppa! taxi!

Comment

The taxi is a lie.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Put dat cookie taxi down! >_>

Oh no, wait, that's what the SC says after Arga has the car hooked up >_>
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            I can think of a few ways a person might rack up a lot of miles on a vehicle; making deliveries, for example. All of them commercial use, though.
            Puerto Rico is very small, about 3500 square miles. You'd have to keep circling and circling and circling to build up that kind of mileage.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              The industry "rule of thumb" for OTR trucks is 2500 miles/week for singles (teams, obviously, would rack up more). That guy did around 15% more miles than a semi would do in the same time period.
              They'd have other members of the family help out, or borrow it, or so on, all things illegal under the contract and uninsured. If they'd had an accident while using it as a gypsy cab, it would have been really, really ugly.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I wonder if he also told his insurance company the Not-A-Taxi story? I suspect not, as I expect the registration process for TX plates has some way of letting the insurance co. no it's not a "normal" vehicle.

Comment

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, SC insists its a gorilla... Allll righty then.

Comment

Augh! You'd think I'd know better than to be drinking coffee while reading CS.

Comment

You'd think....

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        You'd think....
                        ...which is more than the average SC is capable of doing!

Comment

A gypsy cab?
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I've never heard them called gypsy cabs...but I have heard the term "jitney cab." Basically, a jitney is an unlicensed taxi. They're pretty common here in Pittsburgh--quite a few neighborhoods no longer have taxi service. Either the neighborhoods in question are dangerous, or because the drivers feel they can get better tips in the outer 'burbs. Unfortunately, many jitney drivers have been attacked or even killed over the years. The money is just too tempting for some of their clientele
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

In most places I've been, including NYC, those are in fact called gypsy cabs.

Still A Customer."

Comment

For the uninitiated... Wikipedia to the rescue!
                                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                                X