X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Beowulf and Firefly

Broken into sections for your convenience:

Of Beowulf

So as I have said before and make no secret of I'm in the SCA. Specifically I'm an itty bitty baby bard in the SCA. Well next month is Eastern King and Queen's Bardic championships and my laurel (current queen's bard) and his apprentice sister (current king's bard) have told me I'm competing. No amount of vague panic and threats of heart attacks will dissuade them from making me, ya know, work for my apprentice belt.

In March my Farmstead is doing Beowulf: The Event. Its a full immersion 10th century Anglo-Saxon event. To do this we are doing everything period down to the decorations in the hall (bardic aunt's husband is a theater tech guy, we got this down to an art) and period Saxon trundle tables (One of the dear friends of our farmstead is former East arts and science champion for carpentry). The whole point of this event is to have some really really awesome bards recite Beowulf in its entirety over the course of the afternoon and evening.

How are these two related? Well somehow someone decided I should have a part in Beowulf. Not a behind the scenes painting and assembling part, no a 60 line section of poem to preform. Since I'm more concerned with getting it right for the event in March I'm using King and Queen's as a dry run for it. I'm going in with it memorized how I want to preform it and going to see how well it does in front of an audience and what I need to tweak. No I do NOT want to even get to the third round in King and Queen's let alone win the dratted thing. My boyfriend fights for the Midrealm. Somehow the idea of a royal bard sleeping with the enemy sounds like a poor plan.

Of Firefly

So I have The Boy and I have Kilt Boy. These are two different people who know each other like each other and don't mind the other is having fun with me too. Kilt Boy doesn't have a scarf. I'm a knitter. He waited until the coldest day we've had this winter to tell me this. He has a Jayne hat. I have yarn that matches said Jayne hat. I have a knitting pattern that involves simple viking knot cables.

I am knitting him a scarf of shame of Jayne hat colors out of red heart, with celtic knot work to make him think I put more effort into it than I did. This way he'll wear it. I feel this is just punishment for not telling your knitter that you needed something until much too late for it to be optimally effective.
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

This sounds like a fantastically cool event. Years ago I attended a few SCA events with some friends, as a guest. I even had a pretty decent Saxon dress I made myself (chose that period because I knew I could manage to sew up something if it was fairly simple).

Have fun!!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ooooh, if I didn't live so far away, I'd love to come to both events. Sounds awesome.

And *snickers* I love the scarf idea. You must share pics!
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

... If this is your idea of a 'good punishment,' I can see what they mean about the saying about oppression is only good in the consensual BSDM community.
        EDIT: also want pix plz.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Okay, that Beowulf shindig is going to be teh awesome! Do y'all have a website up for it or is there somewheres you can point me to for deets? I've been wanting to join the SCA for years, but my DH isn't interested. Maybe this will get him interested.
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Nice - Concordia has always been one of my favorite places to do events. I haven't been to the P-A club in years. I don't believe we are free that weekend, or at least my roomie hasn't mentioned wanting to go, and I would have to scrum up some viking to wear [read make a new set, I gave away my viking 2 years ago, but I think I saved my pair of broaches. Rob carved me bone birdies with dangly legs from a picture of a cast silver one he found in a book.]

Maybe Ill make myself a new viking after I finish my new persian. I have the pillbox hat almost finished, but I haven't designed the cloud collar yet.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=2028 here's the official page for Beowulf: The Event
              Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

So as Beowulf: The Event, draws nearer I've lost my mind. I'm going to make these socks:

http://www.sanguinegryphon.com/catal...oducts_id=3012

for my bardic great-grand laurel. She's the academic adviser for this whole thing, teaches at the University of Tennessee and has her doctorate essentially in Beowulf. Old English poetics but really, its Beowulf.

I've only successfully made one pair of socks before and I've never done colorwork. This should be fun.

Comment

Working...
                X