This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking advice requested

I've been baking my own bread for the most part of late. Pretty nifty, though not exactly good for the waistline. However...

I'm an adventurous bugger at times. I like to try things out here or there. Does anyone have experience of onion bread? I've looked at recipes out there, but I'd prefer to know from people I trust. Methodology would be good.

Anything else other people have tried? Anyone reckon sweetcorn bread is possible or even desireable? That's an idea I'm toying with.

All suggestions, please!

Rapscallion

Evil Empryss is the person you need to talk to. I don't know if she's made onion bread, but she's made breads before and she's a GREAT cook. I'll have her drop by this thread
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have never made onion bread, but I do know you have to be careful with garlic bread because garlic can kill your yeast. So you might want to see if that happens with onion.

I don't much like cornbread, but I can make it country style (well, American southern country style, I mean), and I have made it in a bread machine. I actually like the bread machine recipe. It ain't sweet how I make it.

Comment

I love my bread machine...I make bread in it all the time. I have books with recipies and I look up online recipies too. Plus I have sourdough starter that I maintain to make sourdough bread with.

I haven't tried onion bread though....done herb/cheese bread, whole wheat, oatmeal/cranberry, raisin bread etc. etc.

Didn't know garlic killed yeast though so thanks for that tip
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I LOVE bread! I prefer sweet breads like cinnamon twists or nutty breads (walnut raisin bread). Some of the notes I have for you:

Onions (especially sweet onions) can add too much sugar to the mix, making the bread too bubbly on the inside (lots of air pockets). Not a bad thing, if you like that kind of bread over dense bread, but some people don't. I recommend following a good recipe and seeing how it goes.

When you say sweetcorn bread, are you referring to the American southern-style cornbread, or something more English? The southern style will be more like a dense, lightly sweet cake that is perfect for honey-butter, but other styles can come out more like oatmeal bread. In my family, cornbread is cake. I made a cornmeal bread for sandwiches once, but it came out very heavy.

Basic tips for making bread: Make sure your ingredients are fresh. Stale flour will cause dense bread. I prefer working with all of my ingredients at room temperature or close to it (milk products and eggs only slightly cool); this means that the chemical actions can start taking place immediately, producing a faster rise and shorter overall production time. If using a bread maker, follow the instructions for what order to put the ingredients in... they can be finicky.

If working by hand, expect to waste a lot of dough on oopses as you become accustomed to how a stiff dough feels compared to a sticky dough (I hope Sheldon doesn't pop in to take advantage of that little visual ). An extra tablespoon of flour can make a big difference, so be frugal when flouring your kneading board.

That's it for now, unless you have some specific questions. Fresh bread... I need to bake some this weekend.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

as far as the bread machine goes...basic rule of thumb is dry ingredients go in first, followed by wet ones, followed by yeast last. I've had great success following that formula. And make sure the water you use is tepid...not too hot or cold cause the yeast don't like it
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Oh, this is hand baking all the way.

Would appreciate any recipes for trying later. Likely to be plain bread on the morrow.

Rapscallion

Comment

Personally, I hate bread machines. The texture of the bread is always funky.

Lately I've started making all my own bread, because it's better and cheaper than the store. Which reminds me, I need to do a batch. I was going to the other day, but I discovered I was out of oil.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  Anything else other people have tried? Anyone reckon sweetcorn bread is possible or even desireable? That's an idea I'm toying with.

All suggestions, please!

Rapscallion

Not only possible but also highly desireable.Cornbread is a staple in the south & damn popular in the rest of the country too.It don't get much simpler than this:

Ingredients 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
                  2 1/2 cups milk
                  2 cups all-purpose flour
                  1 tablespoon baking powder
                  1 teaspoon salt
                  2/3 cup white sugar
                  2 eggs
                  1/2 cup vegetable oil
                  Directions
                  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
                  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
                  3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

For a regional twist I use 1/2 blue cornmeal (all blue ends up too dense) & mix chopped green chiles into it.
                  "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

For cornbread, I'll substitute in one to one applesauce for part of the oil and milk. Use unsweetened applesauce and it makes for a really moist cornbread. Also, you can add sweet corn cut from a cob, frozen or even canned; taste it before you add it.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Yeah, back when I used to make breads (don't anymore, low carber) I was good at it. I like chilies in my cornbread, too (like I said, not a cornbread fan, but I'll eat it if it's home made and not too dry). What's best in cornbread in my opinion is pork cracklings (that southern enough for ya?). Now I DO like cornbread like that.

The trick for garlic bread is to add your garlic after the last rise and before you roll it out to it's final shape. Basically, I'd roll it out after the end of it's rise period, sprinkle it with minced fresh garlic and parmesan cheese, then roll it up. Let it rise again and then bake it. That way, you don't risk your yeast until the very end.

Here's the trick for bread machines: Let the machine do the work of kneading for you. Take it out and bake it in your oven on stone or tiles. I had an old toastmaster bread machine that had better kneading action than a Kitchenaid.

Comment

All I can tell you of onion bread is that it's delicious! I've had it with and without cheddar cheese in it. I prefer it in large roll form for sandwhiches.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You know, I totally left out what I meant to say about cornbread...even I like it when it's cooked like this: get your hands on a well seasoned cast iron skillet and instead of pouring your cornbread into a pan, pour it into the skillet and bake it in the oven in the skillet. Wow, that makes a very nice crust.

Comment

And, if you have it, put some bacon grease in that skillet, heat it up while you fix the cornbread*, pour the excess grease into the dough, and then pour the dough into the skillet.

* As I've stated many times, I'm a cornbread purist. No bacon bits, no corn nibs, no peppers, no sugar. I will make the Jiffy corn muffins, but those are corn muffins, not cornbread.
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My problem with cornbread is the texture. If it didn't have such a gross texture, I wouldn't need all sorts of crunchies or chewies in it.

The stuff just sits in your mouth and seems to get bigger the more you chew it. It's like a chitlin or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X