X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
    It's like a chitlin...
    Are you sure they didn't misspell that or something? I don't want it where it is food or where it isn't!

/Cosby
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Excuse me..."chitterling."

Comment

With the onion, you might try adding it during the last part of proofing. Make sure that it is pre-cooked and dry before putting in.
        When I am making bread I use bakers percentage and a scale. I find that the bread comes out a lot better and reliable. I've been trying pre-ferments to get different texures in the bread.
        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Tried some plain, white bread with some fresh flour, not what I picked up for free a couple of years back and finally got around to using wholemeal type.

Sandwiches of the apocalypse! I'm dying happily!

Will experiment with other types later. Much appreciated.

Rapscallion

Comment

I want fresh homemade bread!
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Y'all ever do a sourdough starter? I used to keep one in a big glass jug with a fermentation lock on it. It was like a beloved pet. The older it got, the better bread it made.

I've often been tempted to start one up again, but it would tempt me to make too much bread too often, and I'm already putting on more weight than I like. Back on the straight and narrow for me now that I'm back from vacation.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Anything else other people have tried?
                Yesterday at breakfast at one of Key West's noted eateries they had homemade pineapple bread that was beyond yummy.

I texted the idea to my Mom, but she said she is not an experienced enough baker to make that without a recipe. Unfortunately, the restaurant could only provide me with their recipe for coconut bread, with the thought that it should be reasonably close, with some good substitutions. I will look for a pineapple bread recipe for Mom online at some point, though.

If you'd like the coconut bread recipe, just let me know. (And the pineapple bread one, too, once I find it.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quite willing to try it, so coconut recipe me up!

Pineapple - not for me as I don't like them, but I'm sure others here would appreciate it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Alrighty, then.

COCONUT BREAD
                    (Pepe's Cafe & Steak House, Key West, FL)

1/2 cup butter, softened
                    1 cup white sugar
                    2 eggs
                    2 teaspoons coconut extract
                    1 cup fancy shredded coconut (don't ask me what makes it "fancy")
                    1 cup sour cream
                    2 cups all-purpose flour
                    1 teaspoon baking soda
                    1 teaspoon baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and extract, then sour cream. Add the coconut. Fold in flour, baking powder and baking soda. Turn into lightly greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until done.

Makes 1 loaf, 9-10 slices.
                    Serve toasted or warm. Freezes well.

Suggested substitutions: omit coconut extract and coconut. Use maple extract and walnuts for Maple Walnut Bread.
                    Use lemon extract and 1 tablespoon poppy seeds for Lemon Poppy Seed Bread.
                    Use vanilla extract and any fruit such as peaches, pears, cranberries, etc. for other changes.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I have tried pestobread. cut back the other oils...did I post this already?
                      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

The other recipe I got from Pepe's....

SWEET BREAD (No, kids, not sweetbreads...sweet bread!)

1 lb. butter, softened
                        8 eggs
                        4 cups white sugar
                        4 cups sour cream
                        4 teaspoons vanilla
                        4 teaspoons baking soda
                        4 teaspoons baking powder
                        8 cups flour
                        4 cups fruits or nuts.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add sour cream and vanilla. Mix together dry ingredients and stir into wet mixture. Add desired fruits and/or nuts.

Pour into 4 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Makes 4 loaves, 36-40 servings.

Note: peaches, pears, blueberries, nuts or some combination thereof may be used. Try maple extract with walnuts. Try almond extract with almonds an dried cherries.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                        X