X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Creepy

So there's a new cat baby at my parents' house

Backstory: Last March, we lost our beloved cat of almost 15 years (FatCat). My brother has sometimes tried to convince me that she's *still around*, but I try not to think of that because it just creeps me out. I will admit to one Friday morning I was laying on the couch and felt something grab at my feet, but I chalked it up to that bastard of a ghost that normally lives in the basement (that I had been blissfully unaware of for several years until my brother moved his bedroom down there and started complaining of something rude and restless down there) but ever since I've become aware of it, has occasionally come upstairs to whisper my name or laugh at me. Of course, this stays between my brother and I because our parents think we are full of shit, although they don't deny that there is at least one ghost in that house.

Ok, that was too much backstory. The cat, on to the cat.

So new kitten and I were making friends and taking a nap on the couch. My brother's girlfriend (his original owner) had warned me that he can act like a tweeker and start freaking out over nothing, getting over excited like kittens do.

He all of a sudden started the tweeker routine and was looking all around the room and meewww meewwwwing. At first I told him to settle down and petted him, then all of a sudden I got this......chilling feeling. I heard my brother's voice in my head say "She's still around".

So, out loud, I said "FatCat, is that you? Are you here? Are you still around?" and paused for a moment, and said "If that's you, my kitty, no, you are NOT being replaced. This this Tiger. We are taking him in because his owner can't care for him anymore. He will not replace you. We love you and miss you very much, and we're always thinking about you. I have to go soon. Please watch over Tiger after I leave."

And after I said that......as weird and convenient as it sounds....the kitten started purring and fell asleep until my alarm went off a short while later.

I swear, that cat came back. My brother is right. She's still there.

When I went to say goodbye to Baby (who was in a rage secluded in the basement so she wouldn't try anything with the kitten) I said "FatCat, please tell Baby that everything will be ok, and she is still our Baby."
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Our pets always leave a bit of themselves behind.

My mom swears this happened, but when I lost my first cat a year before moving, she heard scratching at my door. I was asleep with my door closed, my two remaining cats were in the living room, and were looking between my mom and my door. My mom got up, asked if my ghost kitty wanted out, opened my bedroom door for a moment, then closed the door again -- and she didn't hear anything after that. That cat wanted out!
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

After Mango died she stayed around for several years, she even followed us to Florida. A few times I even got to see her.

We know she set up Maiya and Zorro (both were "accidents" in perfect Mango style).

We're pretty sure she had a hand in Kiri - why else would the person who found her for us have to sit though a conformation dog show (which he hates). We also think she had a hand in Luna.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

My house has its own ghost kitty too, amongst other things. His name is Momo/Mamoru. He likes to sleep on my bed when he's not guarding the house from nasties.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

True story:

When we were kids our grandparents lived downstairs & we lived upstairs. They had a rat terrier named Peanut. He was kind of our "first dog" because he was there before we kids were . When he got old and sick and very frail (and in constant pain), they took him to the vet to be put to sleep. We cried our eyes out; he was a sweet, gentle, very lovable little guy.

Not long afterward, one of my sisters was looking out the front windows and there, across the street, was Peanut. Just standing there looking at the house. Before she could say or do anything, he turned and walked off up the street. She went out and followed him and watched him go around the corner. You know what's coming, don't you?....When she got to the corner, he was gone.

She has always believed that it really was Peanut come to have a last look at home and to say goodbye. I only wish I had seen him, too.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It just happened to me last night too. Getting ready for bed & I felt the kitty jump up & walk around on the bed....except, Casey was still in the living room. I figure it's either one of two possibilities. Either Spunk, the cat I had growing up, or Alex, my Siamese mix I lost 5 years ago. I believe it's Alex, but could be either.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Back in 2005 I had to have my 14 year old cat, Scarlett, put to sleep because her kidneys were failing. From then until I moved from the apartment I lived in at the time, I would still feel her rub against my foot when I was sitting in my recliner watching TV. And I often felt like I was stepping in cat letter that had been tracked across the laundry room floor.

My parents said that for years after they had to have their dog put to sleep, they would hear him flop down on their bedroom floor after they turned off the lights every night. And my Mom would still occasionally find hunks of black dog hair on the living room carpet just like when he was there.
              "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Back in Oct. 2004 our big, fat black cat Mattie passed away from a blood clot. He became paralyzed and we had to put him down. All of this happened in the space of about six hours on a random Monday night. My mother was devastated. Mattie was her cat. They used to sit together for HOURS--my mom reading/watching tv/crotcheting/whatever, Mattie just hanging out with my mom.

My entire family went through mourning. I'm not kidding. My friends broke a very hard and fast rule of not doing happy hour in days other than Thursday or Friday and took me out Tuesday night because I was basically crying all day. Pets will do that do you.

On Wednesday morning of the same week I go to work. Now, at that job I worked the early shift so I started at 6am. At about 615am my boss pops his head in my work are (aka the cube farm) and asks me if I heard something. Heard what? And then I heard it....two very loud, little, itty-bitty meows coming down the hallway. My boss opens the door from the work area to the hall and two little bits of fur scurry in....straight for my cubicle. Two very tiny kittens hid behind my computer tower under my desk and refused to come out. So, I forcibly extracted them, threw them in a box, and told my boss I was taking them home. And I did. They were only about 3-4 weeks old.

And 7 years later we still have the now 19lbs Diego and 13lb Lola. We think they're brother and sister, because they're the same age, but we'll never really know. Diego is a big, dumb perfect tuxedo cat and Lola is a sleek, all gray cat with a cute little button sized dot of white on her neck.

We'd like to think that Mattie sent us these cats. It's almost like he knew, "Hey, you guys are cat people. You need cats. Watch out for two cute ones I'm sending you!"
                Do I dare
                Disturb the universe?
                In a minute there is time
                For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

My pug dog always slept with me; he'd curl-up in my arms and lay his head on my neck. After we had to put him to sleep, sometimes I would feel him walk up the bed into my arms and lay his head down and sigh like he used to.

My mom could still feel her pug walking around the foot of the bed to get comfortable after he passed.
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My mom swears that she sees our cat Molly walking around the house. Molly's been dead for years. I do believe in the after life even for animals. When my grandpa died 18 years ago, about a week after dying there was a cat that showed up at their house. My grandma had never seen this cat before and it WOULD NOT leave.

Comment

I still feel the occasional light feet walking up from the foot of the bed - just like Razz used to do; I never feel it when my boyfriend stays the night.

My mom swears that the cat's image is on one of her bathroom tiles

and did i mention that i have a stray at work that only meows at me when she's hungry?

or the stray that literally asked permission to come in the house the night after being more or less attacked by our dogs (mostly they just did a lot of barking and snarling, kitty popped one in the face, before using it as a spring board to launch to the other side of the patio)

I still see her hanging out in the neighborhood (like on the neighbor's driveway)
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Some of ya'll may think I'm being.....nostaglic or maybe even downright crazy....but I think my little "chat" with FatCat had an effect.

This weekend, Tiger and Baby got along just fine. Well, fine as in, she tolerates him. My mom sent me a picture of them sitting on the same chair, albeit Baby was sitting on the chair and Tiger was on the arm....but that's a huge improvement from Friday.

I guess they have played together a bit.....Baby never unleashed her claws, so it was seemingly just for play. In the end, Tiger pinned her, so maybe I'm worried over nothing that she may hurt him.

I'm not sure of all that goes on when I'm not there, but it looks like things may be ok.

Some could de-bunk my theory by saying that eventually they'd get used to one another and she'd eventually have to deal with him, but you have to admit that that was pretty quick.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                        X