This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So whats the correct term???

SO I was telling a coworker about my company trying to either get rid or cut the mentally handicapped workers hours. Well he got all pissed off cause I used the term mentally handicapped. He screamed THOSE PEOPLE ARE LIKE US, right in my face.
    I explained to him I meant no disrespect but there are different kinds of handicapped/disabled . My dad is handicapped/disabled cause of his heart, but not mentally handicapped. So whats the correct term? Did I do something wrong?
    Last edited by candyshopgirl; 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM.

If he reacted that strongly, he should have supplied the correct term. I can't think of anything more PC than "mentally handicapped". Mentally challenged, perhaps?

Comment

It's hard to keep up with the politically correct term of the moment, as it seems to be constantly changing/evolving.

I find it interesting that the guy who was so offended by your use of that term did not have an alternative term to suggest to you.

Personally, I feel he was in the wrong by overreacting and jumping down your throat. You did not call them "retarded" or "those people" or anything like that. You said "mentally handicapped," which is probably the term the company itself used.

Until this guy can suggest an alternative term, and can do so somewhat politely, I think you're safe in telling him to go piss up a rope.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

"Mentally challenged/disabled/handicapped" are the most PC I can think of right off-hand. It looks like "intellectual disability" or "intellectually disabled" may also be PC.

Comment

For what it is worth, here is what Wikipedia have to say the development of termonologi.

Comment

I've usually gone with "intellectually disabled". Pretty broad term.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
              So how do you tell the difference between them and the entitlement whores that cant seem to understand the word 'no'?

<g, d & r>
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Well I am mentally handicapped and that is the term that I, my family, and my doctors have always used, there are a few other terms out there which are also equally fine, though some of them are more specific and refer to those with low IQs or those who have specific types of disorders. Maybe he is one of those idiots who thinks you should just use the term "special" as though admitting that someone has an actual disorder is somehow degrading.

Edit: I should point out that I have no problems with the term "special" as long as it is said without disparagement, but it isn't a proper, official term and is only used in casual conversation.
                Last edited by Solumina; 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

As far as I know, the most current 'proper' term is "people with a mental disability", which can break into subgroups of "intellectual", "emotional" and "behavioural".

If you're not involved in disability politics, and even if you are, don't bother trying to keep up with the current 'proper' term. Just behave with respect in your intent, and if you're talking with someone disabled (or carer/family/etc), ask what terms THEY prefer.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                    Yes, very broad. And could describe quite a few people and managers I've worked with, not to mention one or two girls I've dated, and a few politicians I can think of.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    As far as I know, the most current 'proper' term is "people with a mental disability", which can break into subgroups of "intellectual", "emotional" and "behavioural".
                    "People with mental disability." Really? Seriously? It's now improper to use the bulky "mentally disabled," the proper term is this weighty thing?

This reminded me immediately of George Carlin's bit on euphemisms, from his album "Parental Advisory: Explicit Language." The entirety of which can be heard here (highly recommended listening, by the way), but one of his most salient points about the subject is made when he is discussing what used to be called shell shock and is now referred to as post-traumatic stress disorder:

"Then of course, came the war in Viet Nam...I guess it's no surprise that the very same condition was called post-traumatic stress disorder. [T]he pain is completely buried under jargon. Post-traumatic stress disorder. I'll bet you if we'd of still been calling it shell shock, some of those Viet Nam veterans might have gotten the attention they needed at the time. I'll betcha! I'll betcha!"

Makes me wonder how much better care we could get for "people with mental disability," among others, if we would just stop worrying about what we call them and start focusing more on how best to treat or help them.

Maybe I'm just weird. Maybe George was weird too. We're of the apparently rare breed that actually likes to speak in direct, honest language. After all, despite what a lot of the PC crowd seems to think, changing the name of the condition doesn't actually change the condition itself. In my travels through life and this country, I've been darkly amused as I've noticed a lot more of this kind of thing since George first espoused upon it back in the Nineties.

Not trying to start a debate or anything, just making an observation.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I would love to tell you the "proper term", honestly I would.

I just wish I knew it myself. It changes on almost an hourly basis.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                      X