This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughter's first pair of glasses

My daughter, Lila Rose, just turned a year old on February 3. She has come a long way considering the rough start she had. She was born a month early after my wife had some complications with pre-eclampsia. Then, she spent 10 days in the NICU before she got to come home. Her development has been a little slow in the physical/occupational areas, but she's making some great strides. I take her to PT/OT sessions every week, and she has an early education coordinator who conducts home visits to help us monitor her progress every week.

We recently learned that some of her disadvantages may be due in part to extreme far-sightedness. The opthamologist told us that her vision was so poor that she would have become crosseyed in a few years had we not caught it now, and that she would have required corrective surgery. So, she was prescribed glasses to correct her vision. My big concern has been convincing her to keep the glasses on her face since they are new to her.

Anyway, here's a link to a Facebook album where I posted pictures for those who want to see: Lila Rose's first pair of glasses. It's strange to think of her wearing glasses at such a young age, but I knew some infants required glasses.
    Last edited by aurelemsrealm; 02-18-2011, 03:59 AM. Reason: I copied and pasted the http:// into the link even though it was already there. Duh!
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

She looks so darling in those glasses..what a cutie!!!

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
      My big concern has been convincing her to keep the glasses on her face since they are new to her.
      It's not that they're new to her, it's that their foreign to her. Anyone who has glasses can tell you that when they first got them they felt weird and wanted to have nothing to do with them because of it. After a while, putting them on becomes habit and they never notice it.

Just be patient and give her time to adjust to them. Eventually, getting them off of her face will be the challenge.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

OMG she is ADORABLE and the glasses are just so cute on her! I think little ones in glasses are cute, I'm sure she will get used to them. Actually she might get used to them faster since she won't have to deal with classmates calling them geeky like I did. I used to hate wearing them and would take them off when I got teased, now I have them on all the time.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

She is so sweet

She will get used to them soon enough, I also had to start wearing glasses at about 16 months old, mum said she had trouble with me taking them off at first, but then I soon got used to them being there & didn't really notice them any more.
          Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

she is so cute and sassy! those glasses just add to it! ahhhh! *gently pinches bebe cheeks* Look at 'er! She's so chubby! *squee~*
            (you and your wife made a very cute child... are there more pics?)
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

What a lil cutie!!!! I just want to snuggle her. She will get used to them pretty quick I bet.
              Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

aww, your daughter is cute; she looks a LOT like my "neice"
                (my mom's cousin's granddaughter - you figure out what the official relation is)
                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I have a coworker who has an almost 2 year old, and he's had glasses for a few months now. I thought it was weird at first to see a baby wearing glasses, but it's really not that big of a deal and he's adjusted quite fine, according to coworker.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Maybe a little strap around the back so she won't lose them or tug them off?

She'll rock the schoolyard! Stores sell FAKE glasses for girls who want that scholarly look!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

What a cutie!

I always smile when I see a really young kid in glasses, especially around six or younger, since I was about that age when I started wearing glasses, after two eye surgeries.

Mike
                      Meow.........

Comment

She looks absolutely adorable in those glasses!!!

Comment

She's got cooler glasses than I do! Too cute
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                            aww, your daughter is cute; she looks a LOT like my "neice"
                            (my mom's cousin's granddaughter - you figure out what the official relation is)
                            To your after thought.... she's your cousin. There's various degrees of third/fourth cousin (depending on if your mom's cousin is her first cousin, or second, etc),
                            "_____ " removed, but ultimately it's "cousin".

Sorry, familial relationship titles fascinate me.

Oh, and OP, she is adorable.

Comment

Awww she's such a beautiful lil girl... She knows how to work the camera.

My youngest son had to start wearing glasses around 14 mos. He had eye surgery at 18 mos..
                              Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Working...
                              X