This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky doctor

Just a bit of venting. Another thread reminded me of all the suck involved in this and I don't think I actually posted anything about this here. I alsodon't really want to put it in the main forum, though I've now officially washed my hands of this idiot doctor. He happens to be a great surgeon - saved my dad's life in emergency surgery - but his diagnostic skills are complete crap.

I had some symptoms that were thought to be due to a bacterial infection, and wound up on antibiotics for nearly 6 months. Every time I finished a run, the symptoms would come back in a day or two. This eventually led to my general physician sending me to see a urologist.

The urologist and I discussed the issues, I had a bunch of tests, and I finally suggested that maybe it had something to do with <disease I've had since early childhood.> He literally hand waved off the concerns I tried to raise that my issue was related to the spread of <disease> every time I mentioned it. Then he decides 'mysterious muscle spasms from unknown cause' was the official diagnosis. If you can call that a diagnosis.

He prescribed me this medication which has a side effect of lowering my blood pressure so on it I'm light headed and nauseated most of the time, though it did resolve the major symptom that was driving me up a wall and completely disrupting my sleep. I said I wanted to get to the root cause, not just treat the symptoms. He responded 'Just take these pills for 30 years and then come back, we'll take care of it when you're older.'

Oddly enough I wasn't very happy with this response.

I starting keeping logs of the issues the ups and downs in symptoms, and another set of previously thought to be unrelated symptoms. All of which I brought to my general physician. I explained that after tracking everything it looked like everything might be a progression of <disease I already have> despite that the urologist hand waved the idea every time I mentioned <disease.>

My general physician agreed with my assessment, increased my meds for that disease, and that has brought everything under control. I stopped the stupid meds from the urologist over a month ago, and I'm doing fine without. All I really need in addition is the occasional big dose of ibuprofen.

Of course, I first started dealing with the symptoms back in October 2009 and I spent several months running back forth to the urologist's office with copays and some refills of the $105 a bottle pills he had me on.

Still makes me to think about it. Thanks for the venting.
Working...
X