This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky 2nd shift incident at Visitor Parking

First some background information pertaining to this post..

There are no signs inside the Visitor Parking garage stating where to pay for your parking as well as what forms of payment are accepted.

There is no one to relieve me for a break...no one from the parking company I & my co-worker work for & no one from the client, which is the parking office.

I work from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, & so I have to go to the bathroom at least twice during my shift. There is a big portable sign stating Visitor Parking $5.00 per entry that I place in front of the 2 gates at the Visitor Parking booth, but it does not state where to pay for your parking. I have raise the 2 gates before leaving the booth, & I have to call the Parking office to let them know that I am leaving the booth, & I have to call them when I return.

My co-worker told me this incident which happened yesterday during the 2nd shift.

The phone inside the Visitor Parking booth rings. There is a car at the exit gate. Whenever anyone presses the call button on the callbox either at the entrance gate or at the exit gate, the call immediately goes to campus police, who then transfer the call to the correct extension or dept.

My co-worker answers the phone. There is an irate male customer at the other end. Here is what happened.

co-worker: "How may I help you?"
    male customer: "Hello, hello, hello, I cannot hear you"
    co-wroker: "How may I help you?"
    male customer: "I need to get out. When I came there was no one inside the booth. I need to get out."
    co-worker: "It's $5.00 to exit, & you have to get a token at the Parking office or at the machine on the first floor."
    male customer: "I do not care. Let me out. I want out."
    co-worker: "I cannot raise the gate. And it does not matter if the gate is up. You still have to pay for your parking."
    male customer: "Can I pay you?"
    co-worker: "Not here. You do not pay me. You have to get a token from the Parking office or from the machine on the first level."
    male customer: "I do not care. Raise the gate for me. I want out."

So my co-worker goes outside so she can speak to the guy in person. When I was trained, I was told not to do that. I explained that to her & to the other 2nd shift attendants to always stay inside the Visitor Parking booth when dealing with a difficult customer. I also explained to her & to the other 2nd shift attendants how to transfer the call to the Parking office. My co-worker has told me she has done this in the past when dealing with difficult customers. So I do not know what she did not do this yesterday.

My co-worker was outside the Visitor parking booth when she saw the Visitor Parking exit gate go up. The male customer exited the garage, & he was yelling at her while he was leaving. She told him "there are signs stating it is $5.00. You have to pay for your parking."

Personally I would have just transferred the call to the Parking office the minute the male customer decided to be difficult. Plus I do not know why campus police transferred the call to her in the first place. We are not trained to deal with difficult customers like him.

If he was mad because there are no signs indicating where to pay for your parking then he has to take that up with the Parking office & not take it out on the attendant.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 01-07-2011, 01:55 AM.

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
    male customer: "I do not care. Raise the gate for me. I want out."
    What CW should have said: When you pay, the gate will be raised. Now pay up you deadbeat!

Personally I would have just transferred the call to the Parking office the minute the male customer decided to be difficult. Plus I do not know why campus police transferred the call to her in the first place. We are not trained to deal with difficult customers like him.
    I don't understand it either. That kind of situation just screams assault in progress. If the guy got mad enough to get out of his car, he could have really hurt your CW. Maybe that's why the gate got raised: someone saw a disaster brewing and launched a pre emptive save.

If he was mad because there are no signs indicating where to pay for your parking then he has to take that up with the Parking office & not take it out on the attendant.
    Agreed. The state university in my town has the same problem with the covered lot, or used to. First time I parked there, I had the exact same problem. Worse, they only took cash, and I was tapped that day, and there was no ATM in the garage. Had to schlep all the way to the student union to get cash to free my car.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
    X