Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to use the automated systems, however almost all of them have shortcuts to get an operator, the most common ones are:

1) If it's voice recognition system simply ask for an operator.

2) VR systems will also generally bump you to a person if it can't understand you, so say some random stuff after 2 or 3 "I'm sorry, I couldn't understand what you said, please say it again" you will get a person.

3) For most systems there is a button/button combo to skip it all, generally it's 0, or 0 a bunch of times. Some of them make use of # iirc.

As for recording what you say:
    I don't think they CAN unless they put on the "calls are recorded for blah blah blah", which I almost never hear until I hit a person. Obviously, this depends on the state and the recording laws, but I would assume that they would default to the stringent 2 party consent (aka, all sides of the conversation have to know you are being recorded).

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
      If there is no interest, we make no money for the services so it would cost to wave the fee.

It sounds wrong, but that's how it is with credit card companies.
      Credit card companies are such odd beasties.
      Mom once had a company cancel her credit card for just that reason. She was paying her bill in full and on time. After that she would pay minimum once in a while just to trick the computer system into leaving her card alone.

Turns out it was a "good customer reward". He doesn't want it
      mom's done that too. the card limit was raised and she didn't want it. her reasoning is that... if the card is stolen someone would have a nice shopping spree. and she just didn't need a limit that high.

so it may be hard to get people to raise you limit but if you ask them to lower it they will.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        so it may be hard to get people to raise you limit but if you ask them to lower it they will.
        Hubs said the representative was shocked that he wanted his limit lowered back down. The guy was like "Wait, you want it lower? Are you sure?"
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Its a catch-22. The banks WANT you to miss payments, pay just the bare minimum or pay late, and carry a large balance on the card. To them, this makes you a good customer. However this adversely affects your credit rating, which will make you a "bad customer" if you WANT to get credit elsewhere. You just can't win!!!
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth laborcat

OMG you have GOT to be kidding me.
            Quoth bainsidhe

Whatta deal, I'm surprised you didn't swoon. Me, I'm getting tired of receiving those "convenience" checks from Chase. I thought I opted out of those stupid things *sigh*
            $75 to process the card, $75 yearly fee paid upfront and I get 13 months instead of 12, $5.00 monthly account protection fee, and to top it all off the limit was only going to be $300. When I get home I'll see if I can't happen to find the picture.

Got one today for 35.9% I's just sooooo special.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              $75 to process the card, $75 yearly fee paid upfront and I get 13 months instead of 12, $5.00 monthly account protection fee, and to top it all off the limit was only going to be $300. When I get home I'll see if I can't happen to find the picture.

Got one today for 35.9% I's just sooooo special.
              I remember reading on another forum about a card that had a 40+% rate, and a $300 limit, but after activating the card, there was $275 worth of fees automatically added, so you only had to spend $26 OR wait one month (for the next set of monthly fees to be added) to go over limit and THEN be subjected to hundreds of dollars in other penalty fees! Talk about predatory lending.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

What was interesting to me is, how so many people never figured out how 25% (or more) interest a year was a BAD thing. If sales tax was that high, they would be throwing fits. If you are responsible, money wise, and all that..CC's can be a good thing..if not..you might as well go to a 'rent to own store' and pay double there :P (after all the payments that is). Hey, I've done the rent to own thing, it can be good..but honestly I'd rather save and pay cash. A heck of a lot cheaper. Not to mention that by the time you saved up, that new gadget/gismo/piece of tech just doesn't seem worth it most of the time.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth HappyFun Ball View Post
                  I take all of my frustration out on the automated CSR's.. I like to scream "Get me a f#$%ing human being" at them.
                  Agreed. I usually restrain myself with a human being, but machines are fair game as far as I'm concerned . . . especially if the machine is the caller and not me (Do NOT call me and then put me on hold!)

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  What was interesting to me is, how so many people never figured out how 25% (or more) interest a year was a BAD thing. If sales tax was that high, they would be throwing fits. If you are responsible, money wise, and all that..CC's can be a good thing..if not..you might as well go to a 'rent to own store' and pay double there :P (after all the payments that is). Hey, I've done the rent to own thing, it can be good..but honestly I'd rather save and pay cash. A heck of a lot cheaper. Not to mention that by the time you saved up, that new gadget/gismo/piece of tech just doesn't seem worth it most of the time.
                  Heh. Interesting observation on interest rates.

I agree on the "rent to own" stores . . . generally not worth it. Fortunately, a lot of stores are bringing back layaway.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    Hey, I've done the rent to own thing, it can be good..but honestly I'd rather save and pay cash. A heck of a lot cheaper.
                    Won't help your credit, though.

If you do a rent-to-own thing, make the payments until the last one before you can buy outright without interest, and do that. It'll cost a bit more than a straight purchase, but it'll also add a boost to your credit.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                    I agree on the "rent to own" stores . . . generally not worth it. Fortunately, a lot of stores are bringing back layaway.
                    The advantage to rent-to-own is that you get to use it while you're paying for it.

It's how I bought my fridge. Layaway is not an option on something that vital.

And, if I hadn't gone rent-to-own for the fridge, I wouldn't have been able to get the loan for the car without a co-signer.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                      Its a catch-22. The banks WANT you to miss payments, pay just the bare minimum or pay late, and carry a large balance on the card. To them, this makes you a good customer. However this adversely affects your credit rating, which will make you a "bad customer" if you WANT to get credit elsewhere. You just can't win!!!
                      i could be wrong but i think the whole "pay minimum to trick the system" thing was done maybe twice a year or once a year ... i'm not sure if that would hurt your credit

Comment

Working...
                      X