This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice try......

I'm currently at a British themed pub/restaurant that opened recently in my town. Awesome food, awesome service. It's very popular. So popular that don't do reservations or call-aheads. When we got here, the wait was 30-35 minutes. There was a steady stream of people arriving behind us, and then wait quickly grew to 35-40 minutes, then 40-45.

Now, I may not have heard this conversation correctly, but it sounded like a woman came up to the host stand right after the wait jumped to 45 minutes and said "I have a reservation."

Host: we don't take reservations, the wait is 45-50 minutes.

Then she left.

Now I think that this woman - who had been in line and heard then wait time grow and grow - tried to pull a fast one.

But the host was juggling the phone so I may have misinterpreted. However, the jaded side of me thinks she was pulling a fast one.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Probably. She was probably hoping the host would be green enough to fall for it.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Heh. Kind of sounds like the people who claim they know the owner when they clearly don't.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

especially when the make that claim ... and don't realize they're talking to the owner.

Comment

So do they have mushy peas?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I didn't look, but the food was excellent. I got shepherds pie. Yummy.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Back in the year 2000 or so, I popped over to Chicagoland with a chum during a visit to the Americas. We were parched, for the weather was somewhat balmy.

A Britishlandialand-themed pub gave us respite on one baking afternoon, and I believe it was named the Elephant and Castle.

Noting our accents, the maid behind the bar dispensing beverages asked if we were from the homeland and we confirmed it as such. "How's the decor?" she asked. "Genuinely like it is back home?"

I gazed around with critical eye. "Too clean," I said, and chum agreed.

Rapscallion

Comment

This is a different chain that's based in the Boston MA area.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  Back in the year 2000 or so, I popped over to Chicagoland with a chum during a visit to the Americas. We were parched, for the weather was somewhat balmy.

A Britishlandialand-themed pub gave us respite on one baking afternoon, and I believe it was named the Elephant and Castle.

Noting our accents, the maid behind the bar dispensing beverages asked if we were from the homeland and we confirmed it as such. "How's the decor?" she asked. "Genuinely like it is back home?"

I gazed around with critical eye. "Too clean," I said, and chum agreed.

Rapscallion
                  Yeah, American media has got us all convinced that we're going to die of horrible disfiguring diseases brought on by germs. But if you just buy a lifetime supply of their handy, industrial-strength germkiller, you'll be safe.

Comment

Like this gem from Fail Blog - Hacked IRL/WIN!
                    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Yeah, American media has got us all convinced that we're going to die of horrible disfiguring diseases brought on by germs. But if you just buy a lifetime supply of their handy, industrial-strength germkiller, you'll be safe.
                      It was more the shock of being in a pub that actually sparkled. I'm not on about the modern pub, like the Brewer's Fayres and so forth. The traditional British pub is a dark affair, wood-panelled and automatically looking dirty, even if it's just been cleaned.

A proper British pub has carpets and upholstery that looks sticky, and sometimes is. It's a glorious thing to behold, and it stinks.

It's also part of the reason I'm teetotal.

Rapscallion

Comment

I wanna come visit!!

I was there in 1982 but I was too shy then to go into a real pub. Now I'd try one.

Comment

It does appear that she was trying to pull a fast one.

Many years ago, my Mom was the general manager of a sports arena, and she also ran the concession. One night a guy came up to her while she was busy cooking/serving and informed her that "I'm an important friend of your General Manager, and he told me to inform you that all my food/drinks are supposed to be comped. My name is Lying Bumfuck and there should be a note or letter on file stating this."

Without missing a beat, my Mom said "You're talking to the GM, and I've never seen you before in my life - please leave" - he was about to get in her face, when three fully outfitted hockey players LIFTED him up and carried him outside. (They LOVED Mom and her food *grin*.)
                          Last edited by DeltaSierra; 01-01-2011, 02:14 AM.
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                            Without missing a beat, my Mom said "You're talking to the GM, and I've never seen you before in my life - please leave" - he was about to get in her face, when three fully outfitted hockey players LIFTED him up and carried him outside. (They LOVED Mom and her food *grin*.)
                            Oh, to have seen that happen! Did they get a round of applause for doing so? (Or at least a round of drinks?)
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              Oh, to have seen that happen! Did they get a round of applause for doing so? (Or at least a round of drinks?)
                              Free food - after all the way to a teenage boy's heart is via his stomach
                              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                              X