Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Convenience Store That Wasn't That Convenient After All (LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Convenience Store That Wasn't That Convenient After All (LONG)

This story goes back to... umm... 1999, I think. I was browsing through some old Sightings and some of the stories reminded me of this.

Background:

Back in the early/middle 90's, we had a very strict legislation concerning opening times for stores. Smaller stores (like kiosks) could be open longer, but then there were restrictions on which goods could be sold (example: it was illegal to sell alcohol in stores after 8pm. You want booze at night? Go to a bar.)

But then (in 1997 or 1998, maybe before, can't remember) Government lifted some of those restrictions, and it made it possible for the 7-11 franchise to establish. At approx. the same time one of our major supermarket chains took the opportunity to open a set of "discount convenience stores" that were opposed to compete with 7-11.

/background

Now, this was all fine, one of these new stores opened right around the block from were I and Mr. Zel lived, and we were happy to know that one of the new stores was there. If only it wasn't for the employees that were there at that time...

Now, how bad was it? I give you:

Exhibit A: Cranky Momma

This cashier was ALWAYS grumpy, no matter what time of the day you came in - so she couldn't be excused with being tired after a long shift. (The store wasn't open 24/7, only 12am - 10pm at that time).
    God forbid that a customer should ask for a receipt - she'd huff, roll her eyes and just dumping the receipt in the cart instead of handing it over.
    The kicker was one day where she loudly badmouthed customers in general - while at the till.

Exhibit B: Early Emo's

Remember, this is BEFORE there someone thought of the "Emo" concept.

Nevertheless I once experienced this while at the store:

Me: Excuse me, the soda cooler is empty...
    Floor Worker: Yeah, I know, but we don't bother filling it up. Go get some warm soda from the shelves instead.

Now, Ma' Zel learnt me that honesty is a virtue, but still...

Exhibit C: The Clueless Manager

Really, he was a gem. Didn't know anything (so one had to turn to the Early Emos for advice - yeah right) and even at the times where Cranky Momma was at her worst he'd stand right behind her till, gazing at the ceiling with his mouth open...

Whaddyaknow, just 3 months after the store opened it was closed for "remodeling", and when it opened again none of the original staff were there
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
    Didn't know anything (so one had to turn to the Early Emos for advice - yeah right) and even at the times where Cranky Momma was at her worst he'd stand right behind her till, gazing at the ceiling with his mouth open...
    They probably turned the sprinklers on and drowned the idiot.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

he'd stand right behind her till, gazing at the ceiling with his mouth open...
      Was Ceiling Cat up there?

(yeah, I look at cheezburger sites...so sue me )
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

remodeling or... re-staffing?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          remodeling or... re-staffing?
          Actually both.

Naturally, Corporate had to re-staff after all complaints from regular customers, but also they realized that they couldn't compete with 7-11 when it came to, say, fast-food, so they remodeled the stores so they more looked like normal supermarkets, with more groceries and stuff.

The store is still here to this day, and people are normally happy to shop there (except from holidays when everybody has to panic-shopping there). The staff is friendly and competent, and it is rare to spot a SC in there (at least at the times when I visit the store )
          Last edited by NorthernZel; 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
            Whaddyaknow, just 3 months after the store opened it was closed for "remodeling", and when it opened again none of the original staff were there
            Gee, I wonder why.

I kvetch about customers as much as the next person, but not while I'm supposed to be helping them!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
            X