This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name and shame your shite company

My company is totally ignoring our own Prime Minister and the rest of the country by making its workers work on the day of a Royal Wedding!!!! This day has been declared a public and national holiday which usually means the country shuts down and we all do our thing. My company is under the illusion that on the day of a royal wedding, some saddo is going to need a Pharmacy or opticians or buy that much needed crappy bit of cheap make up. It's sick and disgusting!!!! I am currently pointing the finger of shame in the general direction of head office. SHAME!!! Hang your collective heads in shame....you can bet your bottom pound that the powers that be at this company won't be bloody working. SHAME.......
    In a perfect world the customer would always be right but this world is not perfect and the customer is always f***** mental!!!!

Royal Wedding?

Not British, but yes, I can imagine that someone in your country might need a pharmacy on that day. Or because of it.

Comment

Meh, the only fixed hols we get are dec 25th and jan 1st.

Frankly I'd rather work on 2.5x time than watch a trumpeted up, over entitled toff get married. Yawn.

Still my company doesn't seem to realise Scotland is a different country. Every time there's a big English thing ( world cup etc) headorriface seem to think staff and customers will fall over themselves to support whichever English thing is happening next.

Still it just shows how out of touch with reallity they are. The compay are spending millions on these promos which anyone from Scotland could tell them is a waste meanwhile techs are having to buy their own tools and haven't seen a bonus in years (sales regularly get individual bonus - techs are now getting paid less, no training and only get bonus if every sales guy hits target and nothing is lost or stolen and we magically don't use any gas or electricity or staffing budget etc etc)
      Not y3k compatible

Comment

Back in... 2004, methinks, there was a Royal Wedding over here also on a Friday, and that was deemed everywhere as a "normal working day", though many people had taken the day off or left early in order to take part in the celebrations. But practically most businesses kept open (maybe on skeleton crews).

I worked that Friday, but since I always had short shifts (5 hours) on Fridays I watched some of the festivities on web stream while at work and managed to get home in time to see the ceremony itself on the telly.

ETA: At my current job there are 3 fixed holidays where you get salaried leave: Dec 24 (Xmas Eve), Jan 31 (New Year's Eve) and June 5th (Constitution Day).
        Last edited by NorthernZel; 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Well, if it's any help, if a customer wants rung up and the actual ceremony is going on, you can just hold your finger up for them to wait until the ceremony is over. ...assuming they will wait that long.

[/sarcasm]

Comment

Our store isn't going to be closed on the day of the wedding, but then I never thought we would be. We only close on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and Easter Sunday. As for any other Bank Holiday, well if you're usually scheduled to work Mondays then that's what you'll do.
            I've no particularly strong urge to watch it myself, though I probably would if I was going to be at home. But it does rather irk me that those in Head Office who have decided that we should open will no doubt all have the day off themselves, as Supertech said.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Will you get paid as if its a Bank Holiday, or are they just treating it as a perfectly ordinary day?
              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
              - Dave Barry

Comment

With respects to the awesomeness that is an important wedding like that...

Around here, even the hospitals don't close for anything, even on federal holidays. They might have a smaller staff and pay them double wages, but they don't close. Why? Because life happens. The fellow down the road can't tell his heart attack to wait one more day, the little kid who falls off the steps and breaks his arm on Christmas Eve can't wait another day to get treated. Similarly, many pharmacies remain open or with limited hours, because you just never know when someone might need a life-saving medication. Are they the majority of the customers you'll get that day? No, but there's always the possibility.

So yes, in the OP's case, while it sucks to have to work such an important day, for many people life will go on. They will want their groceries, their medications, et cetera. It's not wrong.

Comment

Speaking as a "Colonial" and damned Yankee...

I have to agree with the sentiment that-- all due respect to His Highness and his new wife-- life goes on. Unless there was an official order for all "non-essential" services (i.e. anything not hospital, law-enforcement, etc. related), employers are under no obligation to shut down for the wedding.

That said, on a somewhat similar note, it does bring to mind the time the wholesale club was open on Thanksgiving one year. To their credit, they didn't arbitrarily schedule people that day and looked for volunteers. When volunteers were scarce, they tried asking people to work that day. My response to the inquiry when it came to me: "Not just no, but HELL no. It's one of the few days I get off to spend with family. I'm not giving it up."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Oh we'll get Bank Holiday pay, which has sweetened things for most people.

Like I said, it's not that big a deal for me - if I was at home, I'd probably have the TV on but I wouldn't be glued to every single second. And anyway, I have the Saturday and Sunday of that week off instead, which is far more important for me because it's my great-aunt's 90th birthday party.
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

We don't get bank holiday off in the cinema, so the Royal Wedding will be just another day.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

We don't get the royal wedding off here in AZ but Gay Pride is in 2 weeks so I will be taking some time with a few hundred Queens. :-)
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                        X