This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye School

For numerous reasons, some I really don't want to go into, I'm resigning my teaching position. It's fully effective around the end of the month, but I don't have to go back into the school except to get my books and things.

I'm feeling enormously relieved right now, and I'm sure the administration is too.

Just regret it's ending like this...and regretting that it went out this long too.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

I sort of understand. I basically got rifted at the end of last year. At first I was pissed, but now I am totally relieved. No more whiny parents, no more pissy kids and a lot less stress on my part.

Comment

They're doing RIF here too...I just went ahead of the curve

I...shouldn't find that quite so funny.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

When the stress is gone... its amazing what you can find funny. Looking back a lot of things that I took too seriously are funny. What is nice is that when the friends I made tell me stuff about school... I give advice and realize that its not happening to me. Education isn't what it was 10 years ago when I started subbing. Now kids are trying to negotiate grades, wearing clothes that make them look like mini hookers and just plain whiny at times. There are things that I have found that I miss, but there is much more that I don't.

Comment

Sorry to hear you resigned the job. Hope you have a new one lined up or will have soon.

Have you considered teaching at the college level?
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've actually been thinking about that a lot, Panacea. So plan right now is as follows: move in with Kabe (wedding's in October so...meh), my best friend who lives up in that area knows about some job opportunities where she works and is going to try and help me get a job there, Kabe, her, possibly a friend of his and myself look for a house to rent since we all need decent places to stay (Kabe lives in a trailer that might as well be condemned honestly), then I start my Masters of Education in Reading Specialization in the fall. Once I get towards completing that, I'm applying to try for my doctorate in History.

And somewhere in there get published.

Quoth crazyofficeclerk View Post
            When the stress is gone... its amazing what you can find funny. Looking back a lot of things that I took too seriously are funny. What is nice is that when the friends I made tell me stuff about school... I give advice and realize that its not happening to me. Education isn't what it was 10 years ago when I started subbing. Now kids are trying to negotiate grades, wearing clothes that make them look like mini hookers and just plain whiny at times. There are things that I have found that I miss, but there is much more that I don't.
            Negotiate grades, try to get you to spoon feed them answers, refuse to do work no matter how many chances you give them...*sigh*

But I got my petty revenge today. I spent a lot of money out of pocket buying books I knew they would like. And did like. I took them all back today
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
              I've actually been thinking about that a lot, Panacea. So plan right now is as follows: move in with Kabe (wedding's in October so...meh), my best friend who lives up in that area knows about some job opportunities where she works and is going to try and help me get a job there, Kabe, her, possibly a friend of his and myself look for a house to rent since we all need decent places to stay (Kabe lives in a trailer that might as well be condemned honestly), then I start my Masters of Education in Reading Specialization in the fall. Once I get towards completing that, I'm applying to try for my doctorate in History.

And somewhere in there get published.
              Hey, you've got goals at least You can probably get a job at a community college as an adjunct, especially if you're willing to teach developmental ed. They will probably take you with a bachelors since you have teaching experience, esp if you are starting towards a master's.

While teaching at a CC is not perfect, it is far better discipline wise in the classroom: you can kick a student out and they stay kicked out (at least, my CC is that way). Adjunct pay isn't great, but then again neither are public schools. Unless you can get a full time time, you probably won't get benefits though and will only teach half time. I know some adjuncts who teach at more than one school to get full time hours. But it's a job until you can get something better.

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
              Negotiate grades, try to get you to spoon feed them answers, refuse to do work no matter how many chances you give them...*sigh*

But I got my petty revenge today. I spent a lot of money out of pocket buying books I knew they would like. And did like. I took them all back today
              My best friend from high school told me the same thing. She taught in a private school for 2 years, and quit when she was pressured into changing grades of students who never did their homework.

Good for you.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'll look into the CC idea, Panacea, but if I recall correctly most of the universities in WV have community college type courses so don't actually have CC's. But will look.

And all of that's actually why I wanted the teaching experience. I figured it be a better chance for a TA grant at grad school since I already have experience and the training. ^__^
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Something that I am looking into is working for an online school. One of my professors in my masters program suggested it as an option for a job. The more I read about it, the more I think that I would really enjoy teaching in an online environment.

Comment

Quoth crazyofficeclerk View Post
                    Something that I am looking into is working for an online school. One of my professors in my masters program suggested it as an option for a job. The more I read about it, the more I think that I would really enjoy teaching in an online environment.
                    Have you taken courses online before? That's a great way to tell if you'd like to teach online. I did my master's online and I teach online. While you don't HAVE to take online to teach online, it sure does help.

Note: I am a HUGE proponent of online education. If you think you'll like it (from either side!) try it!

Comment

I've taken online courses before and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, most public schools that have an online proponent, or schools that replace public schools by being solely online, require three years experience in an actual brick building. Yet to find one for middle to high school that didn't require that.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                      X