Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overused marketing terms that must DIE!

New and improved - Physical impossibility. Must be one or the other, not both.

Once in a lifetime - There are true once in a lifetime moments, shopping is never one of them.

Revolutionary/Revolutionized - Used so often they mean squat anymore. Every business out there has revolutionized something or other.

Dare to Compare - Cheesy and just plain lame. There's a radio ad I've heard lately that uses this phrase at least EIGHT times for a 60 second spot. It's enough to make me never want to do business with that company. Ever.

The wait is over. - If I need an ad to tell to me I'd done waiting for something, it obviously wasn't that important to begin with.

It's our greatest sale ever! - And so was the last one, the one before that and the one before and the one...well, you get it.

Feel free to add more, I'm sure I've missed some.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

We Price match! - Except that all of our household wares have a *somewhat* different product code, like EH12345-BB for a product that is almost exactly the same but for some decal, and thus has the code EH12345-B

Best in Town! - and so is your competitor, and the next, and the next, and...

Unlimited Broadband Speed! (yes, I've seen that several times) - So, that means that I can DL the whole Internet in the blink of an eye?
    Last edited by Daemonmonkey; 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Up to... - Actual savings/performance will, 95% of the time, be less.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        Up to... - Actual savings/performance will, 95% of the time, be less.
        That reminds of a variation on that... starting at only $X.XX!

There's a clothing store where I used to live that advertised they sold dress shirts starting at 9.99. When you went to the store they had one crappy style of dress shirt for 9.99, everything else was at least TWENTY dollars more, but because of that one cheap shirt, they tried to pass themselves off a discount outlet in their ads.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Crunchier Taste!
          What the hell does crunchy taste like? Is this some flavor my poor taste buds have been missing out on all my life because of some weird genetic flaw?
          Why, god, why?! I want to taste the chrunchies!

Comment

Large pizza Unlimted toppings, (up to 4 toppings!!!) = clearly limited, I could understand no doubles, but I really want one of everything they offer because they should just say large pizza up to 4 toppings. much clearer
            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

The more you spend, the more you save.

Always thought this one was hilarious. Was covered by XKCD recently: http://www.xkcd.com/870/

Comment

Free gift!

That one is just dumb... gifts are free by definitions... if you have to pay for it then it isn't a gift
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

"Free Gift" is a tautology.

Comment

Ultra anything....gettin' sick of that one.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

"Free", when they're trying to force something on you that no one would want, i.e. "Click here to download (product you actually want.) This product comes with free (spyware crap) toolbar!"
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Going out of Business Sale! Everything must go!. There was a store in DC that was going out of business for nearly 20 years.

CompUSA spent nearly a year going out of business.

What I hate is how stores "going out of business" are run by companies who specialize in unloading crap that won't move . . . by putting it in a store that is "going out of business", and then charging regular prices for it.

*yawn*
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Unprecedented discounts! Er, no. The only discount that is truly "unprecedented" would be the first one ever in the history of retail.

There's nothing like it! Cereal with raisins isn't new.
                          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-18-2011, 11:07 PM.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            The more you spend, the more you save.

Always thought this one was hilarious. Was covered by XKCD recently: http://www.xkcd.com/870/
                            I have seen my company use that several times. Sadly, they use it because it works. Oooh..if i buy 26 of item X that no one in their right mind would buy for some reason, i can save 10 cents on item y that i might need someday!

Comment

More Ways To Save - This is one the Litter Box has been using for close to a year now and already we cringe just seeing it on the signage throughout the store.

Sure . . . more like more ways to screw you over and hope you enjoy it enough to keep coming back for more.

New Lower Prices - ie, we've jacked up the regular price and brought it back down to the old one.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X