This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simply unbelievable

I just started working at my part-time job about 3 weeks ago, so I'm still a little green there (but slowly getting the hang of all the coffee drinks people order.) My manager and assistant manager have been more than patient with me (albeit with some teasing and semi-frustration at times.) However, the other full-time cashier was not. She would constantly be yelling and screaming at me in front of customers to do certain things (when I was doing something else still related to my job.) She even yelled at my manager, basically assigning us positions for the shift. Not my finest moment but at one point I told her point blank "I wasn't aware I'd joined the army." When I found out that I would be working with her alone today, I told the AM "When you come into work at 9, don't be surprised to not see me there. She might murder me and stash me in the shed" (I was only half-joking.) She has also on more than one occasion taken more than her share of the tips and when I tried to even it out, she demanded the share back and said "you are no longer allowed to have tips when working with me" (Which she DAMN WELL knows she does not have the authority to do.) Today when I get in I dump out her share of the tips from before I got there and she tells me I am not getting any tips for today. I get right in her face and tell her she has no authority to do that and demand that the tips be fairly split (a more than reasonable request-equal work for equal tips.) She says "ok but I will split them up." Fine, but I watch her to make sure they are even (and they were.) Throughout the first hour or so she criticizes me and tells me what to do constantly, and it is pure hell to work with her.
    And then something changes. I am cleaning up the coffee area, and I hear "Got any plans for New Years?" I rightfully assume that she is talking to someone she knows, or someone else in the store. I then look at her and she is looking back at me. I say "What did you say?" (Not rudely, just genuinely did not hear.) She repeated herself and that started a conversation. From that point on she never raised her voice, actually gave me pointers on things without criticizing me, and actually carried on several conversations similar to the above mentioned. I don't know what changed it around, and I will never know. All I do know is maybe I was wrong about her and I might have jumped the gun a little on my impression of her. While the first impression was horrible, it also may have been a wrong impression. I will see tomorrow if she goes back to her old ways, or is actually an okay person to work with. Any bets on how this might turn out?
    I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you showed her that you will not be her doormat. That often will change the way you are treated by someone like that. If you had not challenged her about the tips, she would probably still be hateful to you.
    "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I once did a complete about-face in my behavior towards a new employee... she was hired on to be my assistant, but she just didn't have the brain power to do what was required. I gave her one (pretty major) task to accomplish, and for the first little while, I gave her a really hard time about doing it. Then very suddenly one evening, I realized that it wasn't HER INTELLIGENCE that was the problem, it was MY INABILITY to give up part of my work and trust her to do it properly. From that moment on, I left her alone to do her job, she did it very well, and we got along like a house on fire (we actually stayed friends after I left that job).
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

That woman reminds me of my manager. She can be sweet as pie one second then turn into a she-devil the next. I've worked with her for over 3 years and I swear she has at least two seperate personalities.

I avoid her as much as possible and so do my co-workers. She's spooky!
        Retail Haiku:
        Depression sets in.
        The hellhole is calling me ~
        I don't want to go.

Comment

Day 2, and she was completely normal to me. Don't know what was the problem that first time, but now she is treating me completely fine. Thus ends my problem with her.
          I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X