This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooboy ...

I disconnected the cable at Mom's house when I moved in so I spend the bulk of my time on my computer. I'm sitting here now watching this EXTREMELY CREEPY episode of The Twilight Zone titled The Thirty Fathom Grave. And tomorrow's an exam day -- starting at 8 a.m. -- so at some point very soon I have to go to bed. Which means I have to ... ... *gulp* ... turn the lights out ...

I always do stupid crap like this. I know better than to watch or read scary stuff when my husband is away, but I do it anyway. Once I watched "Ghostwatch" while he was gone and didn't sleep for two days until he came back. And another time it was a documentary on the Mothman incident which was more about how modern folklore spreads than actually about the creature, and I was still freaked out. "Can't sleep, Mothman'll get me!" I'm an idiot.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Ah, no worries, at least you don't have to worry about Candle-*PFFFFFZZOOOOORTbweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-* [SIGNAL TERMINATED]
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've never seen that particular episode, but I have to say that I think that the original "Twilight Zone" series is probably one of the most brilliant, well written television shows ever.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

This kind of thing is one reason I tend to watch creepy stuff during the day, when the lights are on. Especially those web horror series like "Marble Hornets" or "No Through Road."
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The OP brings to mind a happening in my teens (early 1980's):

My sister and I watch the original Friday the 13th on the brand-new premium channel. Through all the goriest scenes, she didn't blink or flinch. At the end HBO ran a block of trailers. I opted to crash as I had exams in the morning. She called out to me: "Turn on the light in my room would you, please?"
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              I've never seen that particular episode, but I have to say that I think that the original "Twilight Zone" series is probably one of the most brilliant, well written television shows ever.
              I heartily agree. It had some of the most amazing TV adaptations of short stories and novellas. It also had some of the more interesting scripts purpose-written for the series. I will almost always watch marathons to pick up episodes I haven't seen previously.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

It is indeed brilliant and that's why I don't even notice there's no TV (except when I want to lounge on the sofa and watch DVDs ... the TV works for that, but her DVD player doesn't, alas ...) I also get to see The Outer Limits and other really neat oldtime shows, that have great scripts and NO GORE. Someday I will buy the boxed sets of as many of these shows as possible.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                I always do stupid crap like this. I know better than to watch or read scary stuff when my husband is away, but I do it anyway. Once I watched "Ghostwatch" while he was gone and didn't sleep for two days until he came back. And another time it was a documentary on the Mothman incident which was more about how modern folklore spreads than actually about the creature, and I was still freaked out. "Can't sleep, Mothman'll get me!" I'm an idiot.
                Join the club. In my last apartment (a whole 600 square feet) I sat through "Haunted Britain -- Real Ghost Stories" complete with reenactments. It ended at 2 a.m. Even in that tiny apartment there was NO WAY I was going to turn the lights off at my computer desk and walk to my bedroom in the dark! I turned every light on from the desk to the bedroom, then retraced my steps to the desk and began turning the lights out as I headed for bed. (Needless to say I have not watched it here at Mom's house!)

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Ah, no worries, at least you don't have to worry about Candle-*PFFFFFZZOOOOORTbweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-* [SIGNAL TERMINATED]
                Not sure what that's referring to but it sounds good, LOL!

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  Not sure what that's referring to but it sounds good, LOL!
                  Eric was just commenting on Candlejack and how you shouldn't say his na-
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Have you watched "It's a Good Life" yet? It's a seriously disturbing episode starring Bill Mumy, based on a story by Jerome Bixby.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Heh. I was specifically referring to the end of this vid -- tho the vid itself is very much worth watching. Stuff to think about.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-of-Freakazoid
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Here's one for you-
                        I got a book of Steven King's short stories and sat down to read it one evening before going to work. It started with "The Mist". I ended up taking the book to work with me to finish reading.
                        On what turned out to be one of the foggiest nights of the year.
                        On an overnight shift.
                        On a huge, empty construction site, where I had to walk from my trailer to the building under construction every time I did a round.

Oh dear.

Comment

This seems appropriate...
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            This kind of thing is one reason I tend to watch creepy stuff during the day, when the lights are on. Especially those web horror series like "Marble Hornets" or "No Through Road."
                            You and me both. Even when I can get a horror movie "date" (Hubby doesn't watch with me, so I usually have to find someone else willing to watch scary movies), I prefer to watch them during the daylight hours. I love me some horror thrills, but I also have a very active imagination, especially in the dark.

Quoth Amanita View Post
                            Here's one for you-
                            I got a book of Steven King's short stories and sat down to read it one evening before going to work. It started with "The Mist". I ended up taking the book to work with me to finish reading.
                            On what turned out to be one of the foggiest nights of the year.
                            On an overnight shift.
                            On a huge, empty construction site, where I had to walk from my trailer to the building under construction every time I did a round.

Oh dear.
                            *golf clap* I think that takes the cake.

I had an amusing incident while watching The Ring with friends. Hubby and the wife of one friend were in the office working on roleplaying characters for an upcoming game, since neither is very fond of horror. The husband of the pair plus another friend and I were watching The Ring since we were going to see Ring 2 in the theater the following day and wanted the context. About halfway through the movie, during a very tense moment, Hubby opened the office door to ask us something. The door happened to stick in the doorframe, and made a very loud scraping noise as it opened.

Cue everyone in the living room leaping practically out of our skins in startlement.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Eric was just commenting on Candlejack and how you shouldn't say his na-
                            Nonsense. There's nothing wrong with saying Candlejack's na-
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

You done it wrong, son.

you talk about candlejack you just disap

Comment

Working...
                              X