This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great compactor jam of '10.

What do you get when you combine a few really, really, really, REALLY big trucks and a semi-full compactor?

You get a severely backed up back room, and many plastic bins of cardboard.

There was a point where we had no fewer than 13 gargantuan containers of cardboard sitting around in our back room waiting for the compactor to be cleared.

This backed things up severely. We reached a point where we couldn't perform adequately on any further trucks that had arrived due to our back room being filled with cardboard. We can't put any in the dumpster because we need the space in it. We can't bring any of the cardboard bins onto the floor to store, because people would try to buy flat pieces of cardboard and nothing would have a price. (Ha, you already know I wish I was kidding, and we can all imagine the situation.)

So we just had to cope. We unpacked a few bins at a time instead of half of them all at once, and got so very little done as a result.

Don't take your stockroom for granted. It is a beautiful then, when it works.
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Do y'all throw that cardboard away, or recycle?
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

A cardboard baler is a wonderful thing. The only way we end up backed up with cardboard is if everybody ignores the full baler and keeps shoving their cardboard by it anyway. Which sometimes happens on harder truck days.

Now the garbage compactor, on the other hand, that jams up semi-frequently. Especially when somebody tries to throw something ginormous in there and compact it in one go. Like the dry-pool diving team member who tossed one of our old metal display towers in there whole instead of disassembling the thing first.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        A cardboard baler is a wonderful thing. The only way we end up backed up with cardboard is if everybody ignores the full baler and keeps shoving their cardboard by it anyway. Which sometimes happens on harder truck days.
        In theory, the person that first notices it's full is supposed to empty the baler at my store.

In reality, it usually gets ignored for several hours. I don't mind making bales personally, it's not hard and it keeps me off the floor for a few minutes. And I've gotten pretty fast at it.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
          In theory, the person that first notices it's full is supposed to empty the baler at my store.
          Is this the same person who is supposed to notice when the coffee pot is empty? :-p
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
            Is this the same person who is supposed to notice when the coffee pot is empty? :-p
            *BOOM*

Ya kill the joe, ya make some mo'!

Comment

I've had to go inside the compactor before to shift around some boxes to unjam the darn thing. There was an occasion when I found ... get this ... ... a frozen turkey in it at the bottom.

Holy crap.

A frozen turkey.

I was speechless.
              SC: "Are you new or something?"
              Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Yesterday morning when I got to the store one of our night crew was making a bale (not being nice, he had too much crap left and knew he'd spend less time making one than forcing the other stuff in the nearly full baler) and popped out with a bent screw driver.

And yeah, whoever notices it, just like the coffee pot, needs to take care of it. Every one of the stores I've worked has had instructions on the suckers. But we all know how well our co-irkers read, don't we?

Comment

Working...
                X