Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Read and give me your thoughts.

This is an employee handbook I have created for a company I would like to start one day. I would like the community's opinion on it and if you guys feel I have missed something, please let me know.
    Attached Files

I like it, a lot of common sense things covered. Enforcement will be an issue, but I wish a lot more companies had similar policies.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

You'll probably want a lawyer and a professional HR person to go over it for the tecnical and legal aspects. Questions I come away with:

Board of Chancellors:
      1) How is a Chancellor removed? Closed/Open vote among the rest of the Board? Can Chris (yourself I assume?) fire someone from the Board/Company directly?

Thirty Day Policy:
      2) What is 'passing muster'? Overall it may be easier if all employees are evaulated at the end of 30 days. The manager might know within three that they wish to keep the employee, but it prevents charges of discrimination if a white, male employee is signed on full-time within a week while a black, female employee is signed on or reassigned after 30 days. It doesn't matter if the hypothetical white male employee is more qualified, you can still easily get into trouble.

Employment Classification:
      3) 34 hours is an awkward number to work around. 32 hours is four, eight-hour days. 34 would mean a fifth day of two hours or two days of 9 hours and two days of 8 hours. It'd be easier to work with 32 or 36 hours. (four 8 hour days or four 8 hour days and one 4 hour half-day)

Vacation Pay
      4) This might be the 'lived in Europe too long', but employees can only go on one-week vacations, even if they have two weeks of vacation time saved up? That makes it difficult to go on family camping trips should they choose to. I think that employees, if they have manager approval, should be able to use all their vacation time at once if they so choose.

Comment

1. The min 32-max 40 hrs vacation seems unreasonable. what if all someone wants to do is extend their say tues-weds off by adding Mon & thurs. Something that I know is a common req. You forbid it and insist they must take either 4 or 5 days. flat. that is extraodinarily rigid.
        2. You're probably gonna get complaints on the MLK day off. Accusations of favoritism toward black people ect... personally I wish Veteran's Day was a holiday. A group that includes all races, genders and sexualities (regardless of what the idiot politicians try to say)
        3. You need to do a minor rewrite on the written correction section. It apparently has a typo or three and flows strangely.

Comment

An abbreviated thirty day evaluation will occur if the employee passes muster. If the employee doesn’t pass muster, then they can be let go or reassigned to another position
          What's "passes muster" mean? This might be better phrased as "adequately performs all requirements of his/her job."

Since this is going to be an official document, you're going to have to be up on your legalese.

If they are found wanting
          See above. This would be better phrased as "does not adequately perform all requirements of his/her job."

Rosebush Industries will try to be as accommodating as possible, but we also require at least three hours notice beginning of your shift for a call out, with the exception of emergencies. Employees who call out within three hours of their shift, except for bona fide emergencies, will be charged with an excused absence.
          What if I become sick and am not able to give the required three hours notice? I understand it will take many more excused than unexcused absences to get in any real trouble, but depending on the circumstances it may not be possible to give three hours notice.

For example, in my job I start at 5 am many days. Our phone system does not have voicemail or an answering system of any kind. If you call the store after hours it just drops your call after telling you the store is closed. So I then have to wait until at 4:45 to call in, because that's the earliest somebody will be in the building.

Profanity is not be used within earshot of customers or employees who might be offended by profanity.
          What you expressed in 17 words I could express in 4: Profanity is not allowed.

What is the difference between a written warning and a written coaching? Most places go oral warning, then written warning.

Fair Play Policy (Building Level Employees)
          No building level employee may throw another building level employee under the bus for personal gain or personal reasons. Employees caught doing this will be terminated on the spot.
          This will probably need to be re-phrased. While we all know what throwing someone under the bus is, it will need to be more explicit since it's a firing on-the-spot offense. Again, that whole legalese thing.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
            You'll probably want a lawyer and a professional HR person to go over it for the tecnical and legal aspects. Questions I come away with:

Board of Chancellors:
            1) How is a Chancellor removed? Closed/Open vote among the rest of the Board? Can Chris (yourself I assume?) fire someone from the Board/Company directly?

Thirty Day Policy:
            2) What is 'passing muster'? Overall it may be easier if all employees are evaulated at the end of 30 days. The manager might know within three that they wish to keep the employee, but it prevents charges of discrimination if a white, male employee is signed on full-time within a week while a black, female employee is signed on or reassigned after 30 days. It doesn't matter if the hypothetical white male employee is more qualified, you can still easily get into trouble.

Employment Classification:
            3) 34 hours is an awkward number to work around. 32 hours is four, eight-hour days. 34 would mean a fifth day of two hours or two days of 9 hours and two days of 8 hours. It'd be easier to work with 32 or 36 hours. (four 8 hour days or four 8 hour days and one 4 hour half-day)

Vacation Pay
            4) This might be the 'lived in Europe too long', but employees can only go on one-week vacations, even if they have two weeks of vacation time saved up? That makes it difficult to go on family camping trips should they choose to. I think that employees, if they have manager approval, should be able to use all their vacation time at once if they so choose.
            Good questions. As for the chancellor question, I will have to give it some thought and do a revision. We can't just give Chris (me) all the power can we?

2. Full Time and Part time statuses are decided before the job posting even goes out, based on company needs. If a person is hired part time, he/she can be moved to full time if a position becomes open and they want it. Nobody gets reassigned, discharged, or even formally evaluated until the thirty days are up. The actual thirty day evaluation is covered in more detail in another handbook I am currently writing. What I should have said was that it would be covered in more detail in the other handbook.

3. Since my businesses are going to mostly restaurant/retail/hotel in nature, there aren't always going to be 8 hour days. I picked 34 because it does schedule fairly easily between 6 and 8 hour shifts, which I've found to be more typical in my own personal retail working experience. For example one can be scheduled two seven hour shifts, two sixes, and one eight and come up with 34.

4. Due to the needs of business, I cannot allow people to take more than one week at a time. Here is why: For one, the extra man hours to cover the vacation would be too much labor, and possible overtime, especially since your getting paid in the process. Also, theoretically, you can earn up five weeks of vacation a year, if you use your time exactly after you earn it. Hell, you could earn much more than five weeks vacation if you used it right at 32, because it would only take 8 weeks to earn that, instead of 10 for 40. If I let my employees use it all at once, I would never see them.

Quoth Teskeria View Post
            1. The min 32-max 40 hrs vacation seems unreasonable. what if all someone wants to do is extend their say tues-weds off by adding Mon & thurs. Something that I know is a common req. You forbid it and insist they must take either 4 or 5 days. flat. that is extraodinarily rigid.
            2. You're probably gonna get complaints on the MLK day off. Accusations of favoritism toward black people ect... personally I wish Veteran's Day was a holiday. A group that includes all races, genders and sexualities (regardless of what the idiot politicians try to say)
            3. You need to do a minor rewrite on the written correction section. It apparently has a typo or three and flows strangely.
            1. See the last point of Han's question. If all an employee wants to do is give themselves a three day weekend (or four) then they can use personal days if they have them for that.

2. I don't understand how one could claim discrimination or favortism based on offering time and half holiday pay on MLK day? Or even shutting the building down on that day if the building can't support the overtime. Especially when that is offered or could happen on other holidays as well. I do agree about Veterans Day and will add it to list when I consider all of your comments and revise it.

3. Do you mean the whole document needs re-written or just the written coaching section? I did forget to spell and grammar check before I presented it. Please clarify.

Comment

Irv, I'll address your post later. What I should have done was checked and seen if anyone else replied before I typed up and sent my last response.

Comment

"Employees are not to come to work drunk or stoned either. Employees who come to work drunk or stoned"

Should this be rephrased? Maybe something like "under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  What's "passes muster" mean? This might be better phrased as "adequately performs all requirements of his/her job."

Since this is going to be an official document, you're going to have to be up on your legalese.

See above. This would be better phrased as "does not adequately perform all requirements of his/her job."

To be truthful, I don't have an answer for these concerns without coming across as flip or sarcastic, which I don't want to do because I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to give me constructive criticism.

What if I become sick and am not able to give the required three hours notice? I understand it will take many more excused than unexcused absences to get in any real trouble, but depending on the circumstances it may not be possible to give three hours notice.

For example, in my job I start at 5 am many days. Our phone system does not have voicemail or an answering system of any kind. If you call the store after hours it just drops your call after telling you the store is closed. So I then have to wait until at 4:45 to call in, because that's the earliest somebody will be in the building.

This would be likely covered under the extenuating circumstances that is also mentioned in the same paragraph. At the very least it would be taken into account, and if you are dissatisfied you can appeal the unexcused absence if you are charged with one.

What you expressed in 17 words I could express in 4: Profanity is not allowed.

I don't mind profanity as long as it is not in front of customers or people who find it offensive. Secondly, why should I only use four words here, but not earlier in your post?

What is the difference between a written warning and a written coaching? Most places go oral warning, then written warning.

Written warnings don't get you points docked on your evaluation and expire off your record quicker. Other than that, nothing really.

This will probably need to be re-phrased. While we all know what throwing someone under the bus is, it will need to be more explicit since it's a firing on-the-spot offense. Again, that whole legalese thing.
                  I don't really know how else to put it, do you have any suggestions?

Quoth chikenlady View Post
                  "Employees are not to come to work drunk or stoned either. Employees who come to work drunk or stoned"

Should this be rephrased? Maybe something like "under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances"
                  I like to use plain language as much as possible. I guess I didn't think about it when I wrote it.

BTW, my responses to Irv are blue.

Comment

2. I knew a young man of Asian decent who successfully managed to get an MLK off changed to presidents day off by arguing that it was prejudiced in favor of black employees as they didn't offer a holiday off to honor people of any other race such as Asian or Caucasian. yes it's stupid. but so are people sometimes. okay often.

3. Just that paragraph about Written coaching. It looks like you started to write one way, then changed to fit with the paragraph above.

Comment

I don't mind profanity as long as it is not in front of customers or people who find it offensive. Secondly, why should I only use four words here, but not earlier in your post?
                      1. How do you determine if an employee is offended by profanity? Ask about it in the job interview? Get all the employees together, drop a bunch of f-bombs and take note of who complains or becomes visibly uncomfortable? Or are you just going to let people complain and then tell others afterwards that they shouldn't say bad words in front of the person who complained?

2. Because "profanity is not allowed" is specific. "Passes muster" is not. Your definition of "passes muster" will be different from everybody else's, particularly those who do not pass muster.

I'm sorry if I got your back up with my comments. They were just off-the-top-of-my-head things.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth chikenlady

[Company name] abides by a strict zero-tolerance policy. Any employee found to have illegal or controlled substances, either in their system, or on their person, whether for personal use or distribution, is subject to immediate termination.
                        Any employee involved in on-the-job incidents (injuries, accidents, equipment damage) will be required to undergo professional drug and alcohol screening before being allowed to return to work.
                        Any employee that is currently taking medications, either over-the-counter or prescription, must provide proof of prescription (if prescription medications) to their immediate supervisor, no later than 8 hours before the start of their next shift. Notice of consumption must also list possible side-effects and potential limitations while on said medication. Failure to do so will result in an immediate one week suspension without pay.

Something like that. Additional stuff added in there to cover your ass.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          1. How do you determine if an employee is offended by profanity? Ask about it in the job interview? Get all the employees together, drop a bunch of f-bombs and take note of who complains or becomes visibly uncomfortable? Or are you just going to let people complain and then tell others afterwards that they shouldn't say bad words in front of the person who complained?

2. Because "profanity is not allowed" is specific. "Passes muster" is not. Your definition of "passes muster" will be different from everybody else's, particularly those who do not pass muster.

I'm sorry if I got your back up with my comments. They were just off-the-top-of-my-head things.
                          You didn't offend me in the least. This is why I posted on here is to get thoughts, and constructive criticism.

Comment

-Typo in the Drug screening policy: The supervisor ordering the drug test must get a list of medications from the employee who is being sent for a drug test that could make the test come up negative.

At least I think that should read "positive". Also that sentence seems to place the responsibility largely on the shoulders of the Supervisor rather than the employee who could claim that supervisor didn't ask so they assumed that supervisor knew already. Its also open to interpretation as to whether the person knew it would affect the test or not (and I've known people to assume that something wouldn't affect the test and it has).

-I would also change "pass muster" to something like "does not adequately perform all requirements of his/her job." as suggested above.

-"Employees are not to come to work drunk or stoned either. Employees who come to work drunk or stoned" doesn't really cover much and "under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances" would sound better. I really would read that and say "oh, so if I take heroin etc thats ok but MJ isn't?". Perhaps thats my interpretation of the word "stoned" but I've only heard it applied to MJ and not other illegal and work-affecting substances.
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo
                              -Typo in the Drug screening policy: The supervisor ordering the drug test must get a list of medications from the employee who is being sent for a drug test that could make the test come up negative.

At least I think that should read "positive". Also that sentence seems to place the responsibility largely on the shoulders of the Supervisor rather than the employee who could claim that supervisor didn't ask so they assumed that supervisor knew already. Its also open to interpretation as to whether the person knew it would affect the test or not (and I've known people to assume that something wouldn't affect the test and it has).

-I would also change "pass muster" to something like "does not adequately perform all requirements of his/her job." as suggested above.

-"Employees are not to come to work drunk or stoned either. Employees who come to work drunk or stoned" doesn't really cover much and "under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances" would sound better. I really would read that and say "oh, so if I take heroin etc thats ok but MJ isn't?". Perhaps thats my interpretation of the word "stoned" but I've only heard it applied to MJ and not other illegal and work-affecting substances.
                              1) Good eye. I didn't see that. Its the responsibility of the employee to ensure that the supervisor is aware. However, IANAL; I was just giving what I remember (not word for word) what I've seen in contracts I've signed. I could type it out as it shows up in my latest contract. Also, a clean drug test will actually test negative, which is what you want (I had to do one for my latest job).

The whole thing about 'Employees should not come to work drunk/stoned' should closely reflect what I typed. You need to have your ass covered no matter what happens. I would also recommend pre-employment screening.

Comment

Working...
                              X