Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a similar experience with one little sandwich sub shop I used to work at, for however brief a time.

When I moved to Utah in December, 2007, I was applying for jobs every day since my arrival, even on Christmas Eve! So within six days, I got an interview with a Quiznos sub shop just blocks from my house. Great work commute, right? It would be good to work at a place which only takes 5 minutes to walk to.
    I was hired on the first interview and the assistant manager who was interviewing me gave me the date for when I was to show up for work, two days from the present. He was very friendly and everything, and it gave me something to look forward to, even for $7.50 an hour.

But when I showed up for work, it turned out the assistant manager who promised to be there and train me wasn't even scheduled to work at all that day! In his place was the manager of the business himself, who was Asian and he spoke English with such a thick accent, I could barely even understand him at all when he talked. I was feeling very confused when he didn't even TRY to train me, and panic vibes began rising when he put me at the counter when the first customers came in. I barely knew where anything was and fumbled a lot through the sandwich making. The cash register was even worse, as the Asian manager, even though he was aware of the fact that I had never been cashier trained, expected me to run through the entire ringing up of the purchase. The customers looked restless and impatient, but when I told them under my breath that I was on my first day and hadn't even been trained, they immediately understood my distress and wished me good luck. The manager sent me to the back to chop up onions after the rush. My eyes watered constantly from the fumes as he tried to tell me off for how slow I was being.

I scraped through an entire 5-hour shift, having to learn everything on my own, and being a nervous wreck the entire time. At the end, the stupid manager said, "I'll call you and let you know when your next shift will be." He NEVER called me back! And I wasn't even compensated the $35 I was owed for my time spent behind the counter. Nice way to say, "You're fired!", isn't it?

That marked the death knell for any future job I ever hoped to work with for these fast-food places. The assistant manager had PROMISED to train me for the scheduled date, and it was his day off instead. And the moron manager never even put an EFFORT into trying to train me, not even for the damn register! He seemed to expect me to know where everything was, as if I had been working there for 20 years. And then I'm released on a bullcrap promise that I'll be told when to work again and was never compensated. I felt so bitter about this experience at Quiznos, I didn't even venture into the shop to buy anything even as a CUSTOMER until around two years after the incident, when I had a job that I had been trained to do since Day One, and with a salary that was far better than $7.50 an hour. Fast-food restaurants NEVER train their employees, not with the two I worked at before I got my present job in March of 2008, where I remain to this day. And reading this story on the deli experience brought back the horrible hours of slaving away at that sub/sandwich shop. My only positive feedback is that about six months ago, the Quiznos shop where I had that terrible shift at closed up shop and another business took it's place.

Comment

Working...
    X