This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three years in a row...

Well, I lost another cat. I guess this is what happens when you get several that are close in age to each other -- they drop off one after another.

This one was Misty, our timid little gray cat. She wasn't the most social cat, but for some reason, she ended up bonding with me. Interesting, since my wife was the one who picked her. As timid as she was, she was a vicious hunter anytime a mouse was unfortunate enough to get in our house. She also loved people food, and was always bugging me when I was trying to eat dinner. She'd come right up to me, and start batting at my hand with her paw until I gave her something.

I knew she was approaching the same age that the last two were when they left us, but she seemed to be doing just fine. When I took her to her last vet appointment, they even said she was maintaining her weight quite well. But then, towards the end of last year, I noticed she was losing weight. She was still eating as much of our food as ever, so I have to wonder where she was putting it all.

She also started developing some weird habits. For the longest time, she would not come upstairs to where the bedrooms are. But then a couple months ago, she was up there all the time. And when I would take a shower, she'd sit right outside the shower door and howl at me until I came out. Weird.

I think she started her decline around the beginning of the week. I was eating dinner, and she started bugging me again like she'd been doing. I gave her a piece of meat, which she ate. But then she didn't bug me for any more. I even tried to give her another piece, and she walked away from it. Later in the week, I noticed she seemed to be hiding a lot. That's when I knew something was wrong. I knew she didn't have much time left.

My son hasn't been around much, since he's finished with school. He's been working a lot, and when he's not working, he's usually hanging out with his friends or with his girlfriend. When I told him what was going on with Misty, he came right over, so we could all figure out what needed to be done. We thought about getting her put down, but she didn't seem to be in any pain, so we decided to just let her go on her own, and give her as much love as we could while she was still with us. I really didn't want to have to go through that again anyway, plus our regular vet isn't open on weekends, so we would have had to get it done at an animal hospital, and I don't even want to know what they would have charged us.

She stayed with us through the night. My wife got tired first and went to bed. My son and I stayed up for awhile, but eventually I got tired. I have no idea how much longer he stayed up. When I got up today, I checked on her, and she was still with us, but barely. I went out to do some grocery shopping, and shortly after I got there, my wife called me and told me Misty was gone.

So now we're down to three cats, from six just two years ago. Last time we had only three cats was about ten years ago. My son helped us bury her in the yard, and then he left to do the things he needed to do, things he had put off while he was waiting for Misty to take her last breath. It was so weird eating dinner, and not having Misty trying to steal our food.

I'm sure Misty's playing with Frisky and Dillon aka Orange Bastard now. She was supposed to have a vet appointment in a few weeks for shots. I guess she's not going to make her appointment.
    Attached Files
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Aww! I'm so sorry Mike. She was such a beautiful cat.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

It does hurt to lose furry friends, and to lose them so close to one another, that's really rough. Misty sounds like quite the character, and that picture is so cute; she looks like she's singing!

Take care of yourself, let yourself grieve, give your remaining furry friends lots of cuddles.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

So sorry for your loss, Mike. *sends hugs and kitty cuddles*

That is a really cute picture of her meowing at the camera.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Comment

I'm so sorry, Mike. I know how much it hurts.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

*many hugs*
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
              X