This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creepy or not?

I almost duplicated a thread title...heh. So...I'm currently in Michigan, and I'm going to be moving to Arizona at the end of the week for a job. Somehow there was a screw-up wherein the company I'm going to work for sent me an email stating that I hadn't accepted my job offer and it was going to be given to someone else. I was understandably upset and fired back a rather terse response with my job acceptance email copied and pasted below. The guy who'd sent the email apologized and said it was sent in error. Then he asked me, a few days later, what inspired my email address, and was right on the money about why I chose it, so we started emailing back and forth about why we liked <subject that inspired address>. Eventually he suggested we move the conversation to Facebook.

I added him on Facebook and he soon sent me a really long message, and I replied in kind. We have probably been talking for a couple of weeks total. I know more about him than I ever knew about some people I've dated, because he not only tells me a lot, but has a tendency to overshare on his Facebook in general. So here's the creepy part (in my mind, anyway): yesterday I got one from him that was really formal compared to the others, it started with "Dear <first name>". It was an apology for not getting back to me on my latest missive, and he said he was really worn out from work and whatnot, and that he's hoping we can be friends when I get there. Then he ends it with "Love, <his first name>". Hold the phone. I've known you a couple weeks... Okay, I can see why someone would be extra formal when apologizing (not that I'd do it myself), but wouldn't "sincerely" have done...well...better?

I asked my mom what she thought and what she said was along the lines of "You never know what will happen when you get there! You never know what God has planned for the two of you!" Seeing as I'm pagan (not something my mom will ever know if I have anything to do with it) and he's Discordian, I would find it amusing at best if that particular god were trying to hook us up.

I asked my best friend and she said both his letter and my mom's matchmaking were creepy, and that he sounds like a serial killer sort. That's not really the vibe I've gotten from talking to him or reading his blog; he sounds more like the lonely geek sort. But she's seldom been wrong about the men in my life.

Anyway. It is creepy to sign a letter that way, right? And should I be running in terror? Or should I just be cautious?
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Definitely be cautious as a general rule. As for this guy, while there well may be some danger here, if he is the lonely geek type, such things are going to prove awkward for him, and he may not have realized that what he was writing could be construed in any negative light.

So, yeah, proceed with caution. And have fun in AZ...it's my home state, it's a great place, and I look forward to moving back there one day soon.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

the love part is a bit... over much. creepy yes.

Seeing as I'm pagan (not something my mom will ever know if I have anything to do with it) and he's Discordian, I would find it amusing at best if that particular god were trying to hook us up.
      I had to look up Discordian... should have figured out the "discord" part just by the word but, heh. Discord & Balance, eh?

I'd normally say "hey you never know" cos my bf & I are different faiths but... mixed with the creep factor I think it's a safe bet to say this wouldn't be a good match. And he seems a bit desperate if he's going to the "love" part before actually knowing you.

And since he posts his *entire* life on FB ... that could really be a problem. Cos if he gets a partner, that partner's life - and private details of the relationship - would probably be posted for the world to read.

Comment

I'm with Jester, be cautious (for example, don't invite him home to visit, meet him, if you are going to, in a public place other than work) but don't worry to much about it.

I tend to sign things love with my name out of habit, never thought of it as creepy before. On Facebook especially, he might just be signing out of habit.
        Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Working...
        X