This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention, old people

How do I set the record timer on my circa 1985 VCR? I feel so stupid. I can set the clock, though. OK, it is so old it has to be set via the timer button on the machine itself. I got through the sequence, but don't know how to finish. So, you push timer, then on, then use the select and set buttons to pick a day, hour minute,and channel. When I get done with that, the 1 on the display (program #) flashes. I don't know what to push to end the programming and "set" it. I tried the set button, the timer on/off button, even the timer button itself. The display seems to go back to normal and it doesn't record at the time I think I have it set at. Does anyone remember from the recesses of time??
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I could post a pic of the panel if that will help.

Comment

As an "old" person here (I was in high school in 1985), I have this to say:

Get a DVD player and/or a DVR! What the hell are you doing diddling around with a VCR, woman? Seriously?

I mean, I taught my mom and stepdad how to program their VCR, about ten years ago. And they finally get it. But they are pushing 77 and 81, respectively, and even they are thinking about getting a DVR. And technologically, they'll admit that they are totally clueless.

So, yeah, even old people think you are behind the times.

*(Yes, I have a VCR. And own VHS tapes. But have not used either in about a year and half to two years at this point, thank you very much!)
      Last edited by Jester; 06-22-2012, 08:23 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

What's the make and model of the antique?

B
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Have you tried hitting the power button to turn the VCR off after setting the time/date for the recording?

I've gone through a lot of VCRs and a few had to be set that way. The VCR turns off, but the light for the timer remains. Then when it's the recording time, it turns itself on and starts recording. When it's done, it goes off again.

Others work with the set button, timer, etc. Worth a shot in your case.

And, yes, I still have a VCR I'm 27, too

I'm waiting for Fibe TV to be available in my area so I can get a PVR free since I already have three other services.
          Last edited by Slayer; 06-22-2012, 04:16 AM.

Comment

I did turn it off, yeah--no go. Jester, I can't afford any more electronic right now, esp not to simply record a show for later. Food/rent/dental. All I know about it is i's a Sylvania. I have a newer one which I really liked, but I got paper stuck in it and it won't record.

Comment

Food Lady, fair enough. I wish you luck, and hope that in the near future your finances improve enough where you can forget about your VCR in favor of newer stuff.

Until then, here's a suggestion (far more helpful than my previous critical comments, I hope): google the name and model of your VCR along with "instrctions." I.e., "Sylvania VCR 1432 DS instructions." You never know what you may find on the net....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I would replace "instructions" with "manual."

I've had great luck finding manuals for all sorts of things (mostly current, but some obsolete).

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Foodlady, there are several free manual websites out there. Here's a link to the Sylvania ones. Good luck!

Oh, and you're not the only one who still has a VCR. I still have a DVD/VCR combo...simply because many of my train videos are on VHS, and I haven't converted them all yet.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                  X