This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made it home ... (lengthy)

... after a six-hour drive, most of it down a secondary highway with NO PLACE TO STOP -- nowhere to get gas, get food or go to the loo! I'd made the trip once before and this time forcibly reminded me of why I had decided never to do it again!

I made the mistake of putting both my cats in one travel case ... and one had an "accident" about 90 minutes into the trip. There was nowhere I could stop to clean them off and basically nothing I could do.

So when I got to Mom's house, the first thing I had to do was hose them down in the tub. Imagine how that was received ...

I've been to see Mom and I guess I got her on one of her good days. She knew who I was (at least I assume so, since she didn't ask who I was ....) But she was confused as to where I am staying. "Oh, you're staying at dad's house!" (Meaning her father ... who's now been dead for nearly a decade.) This seems to be something she is completely stuck on; her neighbour/best friend/PoA has also tried to explain where I would be living (before I actually got here), "No, your house ... you know, the one next to my house ..." and got only a totally blank look in response. So I just say, "Yep, Grandpa's house." Because really, what difference does it make ...

Overall she sounds better than I've heard her in a long time, because she is getting her medications regularly, and she is eating well (NO takeout!!). However, despite that, she is physically deteriorating ... she refuses any attempts by the physios to get her out of bed and moving, so at this point there is a snowball's chance in hell that she will ever come home again -- she can't even get from her bed to the chair next to it.

I disconnected Mom's old computer (at least 10 years old) so I could hook up my own, and I can't tell you how bad that made me feel ... it was as though I'm already wiping her out. Which is stupid, because she hasn't used the computer in at least three years, and that wouldn't change even if she were to come home tomorrow.

But at least the worst is over -- I'm here, I'm wading through my stuff, which is piled in the basement (I should send a photo, LOL) and now my main focus is to find work.

And somewhere in the next couple of months, take a trip to the college so I know where it is on the first day of classes!

Yeah for getting there and getting settled.
    I'm glad your mother is getting her meds. It sucks though that she seems to be declining anyways.
    *hug*
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Working...
    X