This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touring band of Sucktitude

Disclaimer: Ok so I don't really thin sucktitude is a real word but I had to make up a word that fit the situation.

Now my venue likes to support local bands, so if you have a band that is similar genre to what the headliner is we will try to schedule a local band with the head liner. The one problem with this is there are a lot of local bands that think because they open for the headliner they have all the same rights are the headliners. So the concert last night had a local opened, I figured I would be working the front doors like always telling people no they can't come back in and that there is no re-entry. About 5 minutes into opening act I get a call on the radio that all security supervisors are needed back by the dressing rooms, of course that includes me so I head to the dressing rooms.

The head of security for the tour is standing in the dressing rooms screaming absolutely no one other then the tour is allowed in the dressing rooms. We state we will post someone in the dressing rooms themselves to better enforce this rule, I stated I would pull the schedule and see who we could move. The tour manager points at little me and says "No I don't want someone else I want you back here" I am the smallest of the guys working and one of the only females why would he choose me.

I concede though and ask about passes if they have any and what do they look like. No they don't have any passes I am expected to walk around and memorize the faces of everyone that works on the tour. This is a rap band to me and the openers where a rap band as well they all look the same to me.

"To be honest I would prefer that we find some kind of pass or credential for your tour group I would really hate to miss a face and not allow someone back that should be able to come back or let someone back that looks similar to one of your guys" I tell him trying my hardest not to cringe. He agrees and we find some wrist bands to have the tour wear.

Problem #1: The head lining band/ group themselves refused to put in the wirst bands, my orders "do not allow anyone without a wrist band into the dressing rooms."

The headlining band shows up and tries to go into the dressing rooms.

Me: Do you have a wrist band?
    Band Member 1: No, move out of my way
    Me: I can not allow you back here without a wrist band; only members of the tour are allowed back here
    BM2: We are the tour
    Me: I am sorry but with out a wrist band you can't come back here
    BM1: Look bitch I know you are doing your job, but we are the headlining band
    Me: I wish I could just take your word for it but I can't put my job on the line like that.
    BM2: bitch move
    Me: No

The tour manager walks up and we get it straightened out.

Problem #2: In which I receive an education

The girl friend of one of the artist comes walking up to me at first she was just asking for the bathroom. When she walks out of the bathroom she starts asking me if I know rap music.

Me: Yeah I know some rap,
    GF: So you have heard of this group
    Me: I used to listen to them when I was in middle school and high school but I kinda out grew the whole rap thing (opps my bad. should have kept my mouth shut)
    GF: What do you mean you out grew rap music
    Me: Nothing really I just don't listen to that type of music that often anymore
    GF: Girl you need to get an education

She turns to a very large man with a camera around his neck.

GF: Dude you need to educate this girl
    "Dude' shrugs and walks off
    GF: I guess I will have to educate you then
    Me: You know I am fine, I have an education
    GF: YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME OR I WILL MAKE SURE YOU LOSE YOUR JOB
    Me: fine talk away

GF continues to give me the entire history of the band. When they started where they started and who they are better then, who there brother, mothers, and sisters are. I nodded my head and pretended to listen while watching over her shoulder for anyone trying to come in the dressing rooms. At one point I was tempted to ask her if there was going to be a quiz at the end but decided to keep my mouth shut.

Problem #3 band members don't know how to read

There are signs all over the dressing rooms saying "No Smoking on stage or in common areas" and "Alcohol needs to be in red cups to be taken out of this room"

I had to stop every single member of the band for walking about smoking or for carrying a beer bottle with them on stage.

Well that is all that I can think of right now other then the large amounts of weed being smoked in one of the dressing rooms, and the insane munchies I had after words.

The surprising thing is there was only one time the local band even tried coming into the dressing rooms and that was at the end of the night,

GF: Dude you need to educate this girl
    "Dude' shrugs and walks off
    GF: I guess I will have to educate you then
    Me: You know I am fine, I have an education
    Me: fine talk away
    at this point, i would have informed this arrogant little hagette that, yes, i have an education, the type that MATTERS.

freaking dumbasses; never liked rap, and i never will.

as for that threat, i would have laughed at her.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Or, possibly, that once they were done, you would educate them about your favourite thing.

Say, something like Indonesian Stamp Collection Crochet.

Comment

Quoth princess4life View Post
        Problem #3 band members don't know how to read

There are signs all over the dressing rooms saying "No Smoking on stage or in common areas" and "Alcohol needs to be in red cups to be taken out of this room"

I had to stop every single member of the band for walking out smoking or for trying to carry a beer bottle with them on stage.
        I have to say I do NOT enjoy rap (I won't even call it music). The redeeming quality of what they rap about is seriously questionable. Having sex, getting drunk, killing people, reverse-racism, reducing women to objects to be used and thrown away, getting high etc. It's like the worst reality show out there and it's highlighting the the absolute worst of the hood and of people in general. But this isn't about the redeeming quality of Rap.

This is about stupid people that can't read the signs, have no organization for their "tour" and have fanatical friends and relatives. What a waste of brainpower and talent!

I probably would have told the GF that, "when your explanation shows up on jeopardy or 1 vs.100 is when I'll give a shit! I don't care who you are, where you've been, what you've done or do. I've seen plenty of bands that are more popular than yours and have heard their stories too. My job is Security and that's what I do. So go away before you annoy me and I have you removed."

Actually I wouldn't have done that but I probably would have told her after her spiel, "and I care...Why?" Let her go through her tirade and then tell her, " Go away. You're bothering me and impacting the way I am able to do my job. If you don't like that you can go jump in the lake. THAT lake...Out there." (Seeing as how the Great Salt Lake is in the backyard of the concert venue.)
        Last edited by Brightglaive; 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM.
        You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

Quoth Dilorenzo View Post
          Or, possibly, that once they were done, you would educate them about your favourite thing.

Say, something like Indonesian Stamp Collection Crochet.
          But educating her on something i enjoy would mean Iwould have to talk to the wanna be gangster, trailer trash girlfriend. And it may have made her brain exploded considering instead of saying educate she said edumacate. I don't even know if that is how you would even think of spelling that.

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
          at this point, i would have informed this arrogant little hagette that, yes, i have an education, the type that MATTERS.

freaking dumbasses; never liked rap, and i never will.

as for that threat, i would have laughed at her.
          I totally laughed inwardly, considering I am the boss, but the whole good customer service thing always kicks me in the butt.

As for the rap music thing I listened to it in middle school and my first year in high school then I realized there was better stuff out there and expanded the variety of music I listen to.

Comment

My brain is clearing and I remembered another problem they had

Problem #4 The bathroom is a unisex bathroom in the dressing rooms.

BM1: Yo girlie where’s the bathroom
            Me: Right here (point to the side)
            BM1: Is that the MENS bathroom
            Me: It's a unisex bathroom
            BM1: Bitch What is that supposed to mean?
            Me: It means it's a bathroom, you can sit on the toilet and pee if you are a female or lift the lid and stand and pee if you are a male. Oh yeah and if you need to shit please sit down.
            BM1: I can't use that bathroom I don't know what girls have been in there
            Me: Since it's was cleaned just before you got here tonight I would say only the females in your entourage
            BM1: Fuck you where's the MEN’S bathroom
            Me: Right here (points to same bathroom)

BM1 finally accepts answer, couple minutes later one of the girls in entourage comes out girl will be know as SG.

SG: *cough cough* that some good stuff, where's the bathroom
            Me: Right over here (points again)
            SG: Is that the women’s bathroom
            Me; *rolls eyes* yeah it is
            SG: I don't see a sign that says women on it
            Me: look it a bathroom just like what you would have in your own home, it a toilet a shower and a sink, if you need to go to the bathroom there it is.
            SG: Has BM1 used this at all tonight?
            Me: Umm yeah
            SG: Eww I can not sit on a toilet in a bathroom that he has been in
            Me: Wait a minute, you tour with these guys you ride on there bus, 90% of tour busses only have 1 bathroom, what do you do then do you piss in a cup?
            SG: That is different
            Me: You have 4 choices, 1) this bathroom here 2) you can go out into the crowd to the back of the building and use the public bathrooms, I hear there is some great poetry on the walls of one of the stalls, not to mention the hot water doesn't work to well back there so you have to wash your hands in cold water, 3) Go out to your buss and use the bathroom there, or 4) there are some cattail bushes out back, you can go squat in those, it is a little early in the year for bugs so your ass wont get bit to many time
            SG: *cough cough* I'll just use this bathroom

Comment

If you hadn't of "outgrown" rap before, I'm sure dealing with a group like that would certainly change your mind ....

I was never into the "gangsta" type of rap ... you can't understand the lyrics (well, I can't anyway) and the harmony music is often times a child-like repeating sound or beat. A sound a three year old would probably be amused by ..... No offense to those who probably enjoy that style of rap.
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

See, I feel the way about rap that I feel about country music and romance novels. Yes, there's good stuff out there, but I don't feel like wading through the crap to get to it.

That's why I get other people to do it for me.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

i am.... well an art freak.
                  I love music, movies, books, and still art.
                  I draw, i design, i write, ive done some acting and sing at the top of my lungswhen bored or shopping.
                  I even like some rap (hate all R&B though. its all crap) but i hate 90% of black rap past the time i was 7, and 50% latine rap, cause it talks to much about drugs, sex and being stupid, where it use to be real music.
                  oh and yes i love country, rock, new age, international (woohoo j-pop and french pop), pop, musicals, disney (so different) and christine rock.

Comment

Quoth princess4life View Post
                    Delusions of adequacy.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Brightglaive View Post
                      If you don't like that you can go jump in the lake. THAT lake...Out there." (Seeing as how the Great Salt Lake is in the backyard of the concert venue.)
                      i don't know why this reminded me of one of my callers... but I had someone when they found out I was in the salt lake office asked if it was true that we sacrificed virgins by throwing them from the temple into the great salt lake...
                      i really wanted to say "actually no, we use cannons now, it makes it so much easier... I must admit it takes a lot of work to throw a virgin over 10 miles to have her land in the lake, though the hardest part is getting her over triad center and after that it's still hit or miss because you're going over the airport and even with the proper clearance from air traffic control if you're only a little bit off you might still end up hitting a plane on approach"
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        "......if you're only a little bit off you might still end up hitting a plane on approach"

"SLC Tower, this is Delta 1313, I'm going to need a full Emergency Response Team upon landing. I've sucked something into engine number three..."

"Affirmative, 1313. Any idea what it is? A bird?"

"Negative, Tower. Pretty sure it's not a bird. I think it's another one of those damn virgins!"

Mike
                        Last edited by JustaCashier; 03-02-2008, 06:09 PM. Reason: Missed an "is"
                        Meow.........

Comment

BM1: Yo girlie where’s the bathroom
                          Me: Right here (point to the side)
                          BM1: Is that the MENS bathroom
                          Me: It's a unisex bathroom
                          BM1: Bitch What is that supposed to mean?
                          LOL! Oh man. I don't think I would have been able to stop myself from bursting into laughter. Not just because he didn't understand the concept of a unisex bathroom - I'm no Mensa candidate myself, and I've had my moments - it was just funny in the context of how rude and disrespectful he was being, especially referring to you as 'bitch.' What the hell? My boyfriend is a musician and I know lots of them, and some do have slight entitlement issues and think they are above the little people, but I've never met any who were disrespectful or downright rude like the people you encountered. At least it sounds like your job is entertaining, though. I couldn't have kept a straight face, I don't think.

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                            "SLC Tower, this is Delta 1313, I'm going to need a full Emergency Response Team upon landing. I've sucked something into engine number three..."

"Affirmative, 1313. Any idea what it is? A bird?"

"Negative, Tower. Pretty sure it's not a bird. I think it's another one of those damn virgins!"

Mike
                            omg, that has to be the funniest thing I've read today... and now my bruised rib hurts more because i was laughing so hard... I'll back into my corner and cry now
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                            X