Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm glad I'm not going to be here tomorrow.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad I'm not going to be here tomorrow.

or: Tomorrow is going to SUCK for some people.

The company I work for has rolled out a cool new piece of software called "System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (SCCM)" which is used to update, install and set up software on the corporate computers. This can install one application, or the entire OS as needed.

Tonight, of of the techs put a loaner PC in the group to install the OS before going home for the night. Trouble is, there is a number of broken machines that have duplicated ID's within SCCM (NOT the computer names, but something unique to SCCM itself) of which this loaner PC was one of.

So a total of 44 machines across the country go themselves re-imaged tonight. All new installs of XP (SP3) were rolled out, wiping everything off of them. Documents, applications, personal settings, you name it.

People on the East Coast are going to start coming in at 4:00 my time and I'll get the start of it, but there are going to be some very unhappy folks when they come in to find their documents folders are empty...

So far, I've only had to do two spot installs (actually, one was only creating an IE shortcut) and opening tickets to refer the others to plant people, but I cringe when I think of the yelling that's going to happen tomorrow.

Eric the Grey
    *Who is happily going to silence his phone tomorrow when he gets home...*
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Assuming those ID's weren't supposed to be duplicated, can you find out who did it and, if it wasn't you, hand out their number?
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Actually, no, they were not suppose to be duplicated. This is part of what we're cleaning up with the SCCM clients (ie: some of the "broken" ones). We actually know who kicked off the refresh, as it was right here in the same room I'm sitting. He did this and headed home letting it do it's thing (one of the niceties of this system, set it and forget it, or so it's suppose to be...)

Anyway, the admin who is doing the majority of the SCCM setup was quick to come to his defense, noting that there was nothing in his documentation that would have had him checking for the duplicates, and that there should have been a password required for this type of operation.

Some of the people I work with are pretty cool like that. No finger pointing when it's their own fault. I kind of like that.

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

The REAL error in this case is allowing users to save files on the local PC's.

Comment

Quoth jiarby View Post
          The REAL error in this case is allowing users to save files on the local PC's.
          Saved my arse once when I was working on a project and the entire network went down when a critical switch went 'poof'.

However, our users are a touch cleverer than some of the bottom feeders you can find.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
          X