This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandwich Shop Workers: Question

Does your place of employment heat (toast) sandwiches with mayonnaise on them?

Thanks in advance.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

at the place I worked at we would add the mayo (and other sauces) after we'd toasted the sandwich.
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Not here. In the caf, if someone wants mayo on their sandwich, I put it on after toasting it.

Then again, I don't actually do any toasting. They'll come over, get some bread, toast it themselves, and come back to my station.

Comment

Wouldn't that be a health hazard?

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
          That'd depend on the temperature; "cooking" the mayonnaise would kill any bacteria on it and tend to prevent a "mayo attack".

It'd also change the taste, though; and I think anyone who wants mayo on their sandwich is counting on the uncooked taste.

A sandwich with hot fillers, and with mayonnaise added, which sat around for a while could indeed become a health hazard; but IMO it wouldn't be much different than the hazard from a sandwich with cold fillers.

Comment

See, the health hazard bit is what I'm worried about. The sandwiches are made to order so they don't sit around (at least not our counter- what people do with them after they walk off? who knows?).

But to throw them in one of those Subway style toaster ovens for 30 seconds?

It concerns me.
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

I agree but you'd be surprised how many people want their mayo warm. bleh.

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Back when a friend worked at Quiznos, she'd have me stop by to mooch off her employee discount. Her idea, not mine.

They'd put the lettuce and tomato on first, THEN toast it.
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                  No, not nowadays. Mayo isn't made with raw eggs anymore and has a bazillion preservatives.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I used to make these little appetizer things: take a piece of mini rye bread, spread it with mayo, sprinkle with finely chopped onion (or onion powder) and top with mozzarella cheese. Stick the whole thing under the broiler for a minute or two till the cheese is bubbly and slightly brown. Yeah, the mayo would be warm but it tasted really good on this dish. And I've never gotten sick from it before (neither has anyone else who's tried it.)

Comment

I like Mayo (real stuff not the fake crap). It is fine heated, although best cold (mayo sandwiches are yummy)

Comment

Thanks for the input.

When I was trained I was told to never EVER heat the mayo. Then we moved to our new place and all of a sudden it's okay.

I have always been very careful with it anyway as I got very, very sick once from some mishandeled mayo. But that was many years ago.

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Quiznos puts the mayo on before they send it into the oven.....and I've never gotten sick and I don't really hear of anyone getting sick from it.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                          X