This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I helped with a printer problem...

First off, I'm not a technical guy but I can help some people a little when it comes to tech-like questions. Mainly because I have this strange thing called 'common sense'...

The other day, a little old lady comes in and says that the black ink cartridge she bought for her photo printer the previous day is not working. She plugs the black cartridge in and the screen says "Ink cartridge empty". I hold the black cartridge and shake it and it sounds like there's a lot of ink in it still. Well, it's a generic so I just give her a new one to try and tell her if it doesn't work, bring the machine in and maybe the boss can look at it (the generic ink cartridges are cheap like borscht so it isn't a real loss).

A few hours later, she comes in carrying her printer. I put it on the counter and plug the power cord in. The printer starts it's start-up routine and this message appears on the screen:

"Ink Cartridge Empty: Cyan"

Oh....

I explain this to her, and she says that because she never uses it for anything but black copies (it's one of those little flatscreen printers), she never even thought that it might be a colour cartridge. She also didn't know what the word "Cyan" was. Neither did her son, who also looked at the machine.

So, I grab a cyan cartridge, plug it in and it works just fine.

I then spend a few minutes explaining a few of the other functions of the machine she owned. Like copying in colour ("All I did was push the 'Colour Copy' button." "Really? I never use that!"), pointing out the card slots on the front for photo cards, etc.

So, definately not a sucky customer, just a very nice little old lady who had no idea the machine she had could do more than make black photocopies. I charged her for the cyan cartridge, she bought a magenta and yellow as well, and I gave her back the black one she brought in earlier and since I didn't charge her for the one I replaced it with, she got a black for free (like I said, cheap like borscht). And she left the store a very happy customer.

I just wanted to share that with the board.
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Just wait until you get the people that can't completely click the cartridge into place. I got a few of those when I worked at a call center. Or printers that have individual tanks and a removeable printhead - they put in the ink tanks but not the printhead and can't figure out why its not working, luckily all the ones I've dealt with have still had the printhead in the sealed pouch it came in.

Comment

Or who leave the plastic sticky strip on.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Yeah, I kind of forgot about those. Only had 1 call about it luckily. I did get lucky and didn't have any irate people. The only cursing I heard was when I told someone about a feature their new printer had and they tried it out - "Son of B**** it worked." Unfortunately I know that it was abnormal to not have dealt with any really irate people. Its just how it worked out for me.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          I actually ran into this one today.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
          X