This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EW tells me why she's writing down my name

I normally don’t get cheesed off enough to post things much anymore…I just sort of let people fade into the background of things that make me angry and then pass by…but this one was special.

I typically work at Hotel A. I was working Hotel B for the day. Hotel C enters this story a bit later. Guest (we’ll call her BF for BitchFace) has been drinking (I mean, she literally is walking around with a half-drunk beer, so I’m not just making an assumption) and it clearly doesn’t bring out her better side.

BF comes up to the desk and says she needs to check in for a room that someone else will be staying in. I ask the usual questions, do the usual process, and then she’s like “I have a room at Hotel C for tomorrow, but I’m actually just going to keep my reservation here at Hotel B, and we’re all going to squeeze into it for one night, and my brother’s keeping his reservation at Hotel A.”

I tell her this is fine, and she wants to cancel Hotel C. My supervisor reminds me that I can easily transfer BF’s deposit from Hotel C to her room here at Hotel B so she doesn’t lose her money, and I tell her I will do this once she’s completely checked in. She leans as far as she can across the desk (Hotel B’s desks are pretty high up) squinting at my nametag and goes “I’m writing your name down because I have a feeling this is going to get screwed up.”

Well, that was pretty much the end of me being friendly and helpful. At that point I just wanted to scrape her off like something I’d found on the bottom of my shoe. Once she fucked off, I made a point of handling the money transfer personally, so if she ever asked who did it, it would have my login all over it in the system and they’d tell her it was me. It was honestly pretty insulting. Transferring money between two hotels in the same system is something I do nearly every damn day. I haven’t had trouble with one since…oh, say…December of 2012. And honestly...they start my position out at little over minimum wage, it's not that hard.

The next day she and her posse come up to me at Hotel A, where I’m working my normal shift, and she’s like “Oh, you were at Hotel B the other day, your name is (name that starts with the same letter as my name but has far too many syllables and isn’t remotely close), right?” “(I bite my tongue and resist the urge to say "Oh, hi, did I screw up?") No, actually, it’s (my name).” “Well, listen, (same name that isn’t my name), we need a late checkout tomorrow, can you do 12:30?” “We can usually do 12, let me look.” (I look in the system, praying to the database gods that someone has their room tomorrow who has a compelling reason that they have to be out by 11. No such luck) “We’ll do noon for you.” “You can’t do 12:30?” “I can ask my supervisor when she gets back from lunch.” “Oh, nevermind. Can you print a boarding pass for us?”

Luckily the slow internet was being its usual self and it gagged on her airline’s website and I had the pleasure of telling her to go talk to the concierge the next day. You know, like I told her to do in the first place, but she wanted it NOW.
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

This is exactly why employees shouldn't have visible nametags. If corporate wants accountability, they should look at the login system and see who was handling the checkin. Under no circumstances should a guest/customer see the person's name, cause they pull crap like this.

Comment

It would be appropriate at the time for you to take out your phone, then announce that you are recording the conversation at that point. If the SC gave you trouble as to your actions, you could state that not only were you providing a service to her by recording what was said in the event of miscommunication, but that it's retaliation for her writing down your name tag, and that her words could be used against her if she gave you wrong directions or instructions.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
        This is exactly why employees shouldn't have visible nametags. If corporate wants accountability, they should look at the login system and see who was handling the checkin. Under no circumstances should a guest/customer see the person's name, cause they pull crap like this.
        And this is why I don't have my nametag visible at either job, as I am HIGHLY uncomfortable with it. I have not worn any type of identifiers that have my name on it in about five years or so.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
          That's one reason we went to individual Windows & circulation system accounts at the library, and why we're really not supposed to let other staff members use ours. (that sort of thing DOES get tracked....it's why/how one of our former circulation staff left)

Comment

Ya, I kind-of like the Army/Police method. The only name shown is a last name, and in the case of police, a badge number. Last names are more impersonal, and badge number help keep accountability. (of course, police also get to record every thing said and done easily).
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
              Ya, I kind-of like the Army/Police method. The only name shown is a last name, and in the case of police, a badge number. Last names are more impersonal, and badge number help keep accountability. (of course, police also get to record every thing said and done easily).
              At Big Green Cab Co, it goes the other direction: our ID badges (required by law) only show the first name & driver number, cos that's all that's needed. If a situation comes up where my last name is needed (and if it's needed, then police are involved, and I'm unconscious (or worse) and my wallet is MIA) that can be acquired from the company using just my driver number -- or even just my cab number along with a date and approximate time. But they won't give it out to just anyone.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                At Big Green Cab Co, it goes the other direction: our ID badges (required by law) only show the first name & driver number, cos that's all that's needed. If a situation comes up where my last name is needed (and if it's needed, then police are involved, and I'm unconscious (or worse) and my wallet is MIA) that can be acquired from the company using just my driver number -- or even just my cab number along with a date and approximate time. But they won't give it out to just anyone.
                Are you allowed to have protective glass or lucite or grates between your seat and the back seat?
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

At MajorBank we were to only give our first names and a made up last name that told the powers that be the site we were at and who our supervisor was. So, a person at Site A with supervisor X, if asked for a full name, would say my name is Firstname Brown, a person at the same site with supervisor Y would say Firstname White, and a person at site B with supervisor Q would say Firstname Smith and so on and so forth. There was a nice mix of names and there were, at most, 15 or so people under the same supervisor, so it was easy enough based on the fake last name for the management to figure out who you were without ever giving out what our real names were. I liked the system.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                    At MajorBank we were to only give our first names and a made up last name that told the powers that be the site we were at and who our supervisor was...so it was easy enough based on the fake last name for the management to figure out who you were without ever giving out what our real names were. I liked the system.
                    I wish we did that! I don't even like giving out my true first name. It's very unusual and if someone had a mind to they could find me easily. Not that I do anything on the regular that pisses off my customers, but it just makes me nervous.

I have had customers ask for my last name and I usually refuse, then jokingly say, "I promise you, I'm the only Headset working for The Bank!" The only time I've given out my last name was recently when a customer said she wanted to write a letter to corporate on my behalf. I just had a good feeling that she was telling the truth so I decided to take the chance.

I have no qualms about giving out my manager's full name and phone number, though.
                    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                      Are you allowed to have protective glass or lucite or grates between your seat and the back seat?
                      I doubt the company would say no, but I've never seen a single cab in Desert Hell that has one. Considering the millions of calls that happen every year, the odds of something that bad happening are pretty durn slim. (It happens about once per year that I've heard of, out of maybe 10-15 million calls valley-wide.)

I can't even think of the last time I heard of someone getting robbed; we're far more likely to have someone run off. Happens to me a few times a year.
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                      X