This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    Why hasn't some chain figured out how to program their POS systems so that when something is purchased using a coupon, it's shown as discounted on the receipt, so that if the item is returned the customer only gets the discounted price back? After all, that's what they actually paid for the item.
    Our receipts do that. When they print out, they show the regular price, then right underneath it they show any discounts/coupons. Had a lady all pissy at me last week because she didn't get the full price back on her return and I had to explain to her that she used a coupon for the item so she didn't even PAY full price.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Why hasn't some chain figured out how to program their POS systems so that when something is purchased using a coupon, it's shown as discounted on the receipt, so that if the item is returned the customer only gets the discounted price back? After all, that's what they actually paid for the item.
      I'm referring here to manufacturer's coupons; the full price is refunded so the store isn't profiting on the reimbursement from the manufacturer. I do believe they can get into trouble for doing that.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Why hasn't some chain figured out how to program their POS systems so that when something is purchased using a coupon, it's shown as discounted on the receipt, so that if the item is returned the customer only gets the discounted price back?
        The Bent Staple started doing that not long before I quit. It was looooong overdue
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          because sometimes they dont need to see the receipt to return the items. so the returns person could not know the item they are returning for 30 bucks was coupon-ed downed to 20.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
            because sometimes they dont need to see the receipt to return the items. so the returns person could not know the item they are returning for 30 bucks was coupon-ed downed to 20.
            That's the other part of it. Typically these will be no-receipt returns, which don't get shot down because bad customer service.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
              There wasn't any way to open a third line? Or put both vultures in the same line? I agree, I would have dropped my items and left as well...
              Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Sounds like there were only two registers in the store, and I'm quite certain the second vulture would've raised hell if she was asked to wait behind the first vulture.
              Second lane should have been opened as an express lane (even if the store didn't usually have express lanes). Vulture #2 goes into new line? "I'm sorry, this is an express lane, and you are over the limit on number of items". Vulture #2 gets the choice of waiting behind vulture #1, or leaving without buying anything. Wouldn't hurt the store to piss her off - after all, due to the penny items, her total is going to be less than the wages of the cashier checking her out.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              That's the other part of it. Typically these will be no-receipt returns, which don't get shot down because bad customer service.
              In this case, "Bad customer service" means "we kiss the asses of bad customers".
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                They are slowly marked down over a period of about 2 months. Usually it starts with like 25% off, then 50%, then 75%, then 90%. Anything left over after that period of time gets 'pennied'. The problem is with apparel, there are SO many different colored dots/stars that it really is an all day project trying to sort through all the clothes/shoes/hats/gloves/etc to find the correct dots to pull.

And it also doesn't help that you have these websites out there telling people exactly when stuff is a penny. So as soon as we open the door vultures usually start swooping.
                Aack! We Canadians scrapped our pennies, so it won't work for us anymore!

Maybe nickels, or dimes?

Also, with apparel, perhaps it's time to scrap the dots and put in a barcode or QR code that gives users more info on the item, including the current price.
                Last edited by cindybubbles; 05-02-2014, 02:12 AM.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                  Why are things marked down to a penny? Why can't they just be put on clearance or final sale and not be marked down as much?
                  Where I've worked before in a popular chain accessory/ear piercing boutique we had penny items four times per year (once per quarter). At my current job we do the same thing. Penny items are usually old clearance items that were marked down a few seasons ago and not sold, or they are seasonal items like holiday merchandise that went clearance right after the holiday and then the remaining dwindling items don't get sold so they get marked to a penny. We call this "Mark out of stock" which means all of the clearance gets scanned to see what is now a penny and then the penny items are all gathered, put in a box, transferred out to corporate. This is done to clear the store of old markdowns that are not selling to make room for new ones. And this way the items don't just get damaged out which flags LP.

MOS items are not technically supposed to be sold but if you don't get them off the floor in time or you miss a few (it happens) a customer can buy it for a penny and they will. If you miss a bunch of them or customers get to them before you get a chance to it screws up your average dollar per sale which is frowned upon.

But yeah the MOS is done to get rid of items without just damaging them out because they aren't damaged and there's nothing wrong with them, they are just out of season clearance items.

Comment

Working...
                  X