Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling crap on an online auction site?

Well, not literal crap, but...

So I've pretty much decided that the only real way I'm going to be able to get my garage straightened up is a couple of ways:

1. Storage building.
    2. Sell stuff on an online auction site.
    3. Give away stuff (i.e. mostly clothes)
    4. Throw a lot of it away.

I've suggested a garage sale. Wife doesn't really want that. I could sell stuff on online auction sites, but I usually don't have a chance to get to the Post Office until weekends. I could probably box up a lot of my old clothes and give them to a charity.

There is some stuff I could sell. My main concern though is the stuff I can't get rid of and can't sell.

We have some of my ill mother-in-law's possessions. I obviously can't get rid of those, but I wouldn't mind storing them in a climate-controlled storage facility.

We also have baby stuff. Same thing, I'm OK with Climate Controlled storage.

I'm not sure the Wife would go for the climate controlled storage, though. I think she probably thinks is a waste of money, since our garage is essentially a "storage building".

Thoughts? I've got some things I could try to sell on online auction sites (Dale Earnhardt wall clock, anyone??), but I really need to do something about all the crap in my garage.

So I can make room for more crap.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Quoth mjr View Post
    ... I really need to do something about all the crap in my garage.

So I can make room for more crap.
    Yeah, I know how that goes ...

Unless you live somewhere that has very moderate temperatures year-round, storing things in your garage may not be a good idea. Freezing winter temperatures followed by scorching summer temperatures will take its toll. I know; I've got books in my mom's garage -- they were in a storage unit for five years and have been in the garage for two and I can see the damage already.

But they are only books, not personal mementos. I would not, for example, want Grandma's good dishes in there!

Garage sales can be a lot of work, but do you ever have flea markets in your area? I rented a table at one some time ago -- they do the publicity, and you just bring your stuff and set up. Did I make a profit? No, but I got some cash and got rid of some stuff.

Online can be a much easier way to go. You just need to make sure you're getting on a reputable site, and also need to ask around for how to avoid getting scammed. I've always been wary of selling on eBay but my sister has sold stuff on there with no problems.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      Yeah, I know how that goes ...

SNIP...
      Unfortunately, most of the stuff in the garage, we don't have room for in our house. And there's honestly stuff in our house that we don't really have room for.

We have some books, older clothes, stuff from when my son was younger (crib, stroller, swing), and some other stuff I could probably honestly throw away. I have a VERY old board game that might be worth something to someone.

I may have to spend some time out there this weekend just trying to make progress -- at least on the "throw away" stuff.

Comment

If the kid stuff (crib, stroller, etc.) was in the "throw out" category but is still in usable condition, you might want to donate it to a charitable organization instead. A food bank would be a good contact point - they probably don't handle stuff like that, but they should know an organization that does.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          If the kid stuff (crib, stroller, etc.) was in the "throw out" category but is still in usable condition, you might want to donate it to a charitable organization instead.
          Believe me, I'd like to. The Mrs. isn't ready to part with it yet...even though we're not having any more kids...

Comment

I recommend *not* doing the online auction thing. It's a lot more of a pain than you'd think, and scams abound.

Climate-controlled storage can get a bit expensive. If you own your house (I assume it's a house), you might want to consider putting up an insulated shed. This may or may not be practical depending on your local building codes and neighborhood restrictions. Still, putting up your own shed would pay for itself in 3-4 years compared to climate-controlled storage.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
              Still, putting up your own shed would pay for itself in 3-4 years compared to climate-controlled storage.
              You're right, but we also unfortunately have neighborhood rules about storage sheds. This would have to be a fairly big one, too. We have a two car garage, and I barely have enough room to make a "center" walkway, get to the breaker box, and pull down the attic access ladder thing.

Comment

I've been uncluttering the house in preparation for a move, and I've had mostly good luck using OfferUp and LetGo apps. I wouldn't recommend those for anything that might be collectible or particularly valuable, though.
                Random Doctor Who quote:
                "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Working...
                X