Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why yes, I am proud of myself, thank you!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the first woman... Why the hell pay $15 for an Easter egg HUNT and then whine about actually having to hunt for said eggs? So she basically wanted to pay $15 for her kid to have no fun and for you to hand her kid maybe a buck or two worth of candy? A truly stupid SC through and through.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
      I can't tell you how many times I've ruined someone's Easter/Christmas/Halloween/etc. because certain junk foods aren't allowed on EBT (food stamps) Because you know I apparently have complete control over what the government determines to be food stamp eligible
      Must be different rules in your state.

In Oregon, the only things you can;'t buy are alcohol and hot foods.

That last bit leads to the interesting situation of their having to put a sign on the *cold* fried chicken in the deli area of my local store saying that it *can* be bought with EBT cards. Because fried chicken in the hot foods case can't.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
        Must be different rules in your state.

In Oregon, the only things you can;'t buy are alcohol and hot foods.

That last bit leads to the interesting situation of their having to put a sign on the *cold* fried chicken in the deli area of my local store saying that it *can* be bought with EBT cards. Because fried chicken in the hot foods case can't.
        I guess I should have been more clear. I was talking about certain holiday junk foods not being covered on EBT

I'll use a couple examples from this easter. Pre-made easter baskets with candy in them are NOT covered under EBT (at least in Ohio). There was also a cute little plastic bunny toy on a bicycle that had candy inside, that was also not covered under EBT. A couple SC's were losing their minds because their kid's easter was RUINED I TELL YOU!

And last christmas a lady flipped her lid because EBT wouldn't cover gingerbread house kits

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          Right. Because autism is something that people can see. And oftentimes, people who aren't familiar with autism/Asperger's don't really recognize what's going on. I speak from a bit of experience.
          Yeah, that was what really frustrated me. There are a lot of conditions that give visual clues and it's easy to adapt your behaviour in advance (I'm thinking of Downs, blindness, physical weaknesses, etc) but I have no way of knowing someone is autistic before seeing how they react to what I've said to them, and by then it's really too late.

On the other hand, if there are clues I should watch for, I'd really appreciate knowing them!

Quoth freespirit114 View Post
          To the first woman... Why the hell pay $15 for an Easter egg HUNT and then whine about actually having to hunt for said eggs? So she basically wanted to pay $15 for her kid to have no fun and for you to hand her kid maybe a buck or two worth of candy? A truly stupid SC through and through.
          Egg-zactly! (Sorry, sorry...)
          Last edited by EricKei; 04-21-2014, 11:49 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
            I can't tell you how many times I've ruined someone's Easter/Christmas/Halloween/etc. because certain junk foods aren't allowed on EBT (food stamps) Because you know I apparently have complete control over what the government determines to be food stamp eligible
            I didn't ruin someone's Easter but I had a few people put a bunch of stuff back (aka I had to stuff it all under the register and then lug it back to customer service) because of this and of course I got the "but last year it was covered!" Actually, no it wasn't and personally I think none of it should be covered, ever.
            Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
              On the other hand, if there are clues I should watch for, I'd really appreciate knowing them!
              Honestly, it varies from person to person. Many individuals with autism or Aspergers are as unique as most others. But as a start, I think I would read up on "stimming" (short for stimulating).

I'm not sure how much knowledge about autism or Aspergers you have, but if you read up on it, be very careful where you get your resources. It may surprise you that some who are in the austistic/Asperger's community (i.e. they are diagnosed themselves, or they have a loved one who is diagnosed) don't necessarily agree with the positions of some of the organizations out there dedicated to "autism awareness".

But I digress. For somewhat of a generalized overview, watch the "Arthur" episode "When George Met Carl". You can find it on YouTube.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Well, I did it. Finally. After so many years of trying, I finally ruined someone's holiday.

And yea the clouds did part and a beam of light shone down upon me, for I had achieved the rank of Most High and Glorious Ruiner of Days.

Did anyone else attain such glory?
                I don't get it. I have never ruined anyone's holiday. Not Easter, not Christmas, not Thanksgiving, not the Fourth of July, not even Halloween or Cinco de Mayo. And I've been in this industry a long time (since 1986, for goodness sake!). Living here in Touristland, I've never even managed to ruin someone's vacation!

Sure, I've pissed many people off by following rules, obeying the law, not giving free shit away, and doing my job, but not one of them has graced me with this glorious phrase.

I feel....empty.

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
                I don't mind getting asked if I can do things cheaper, but I'll be damned if walking out of the house is going to cost me more than the job will make me.
                This woman called me once to see if she could hire me to do magic at a party in Marathon, which is an hour's drive from here. Being in a nice mood that day, I quoted her my regular rate, deciding I wouldn't charge more for the two hour round trip travel time. She not only didn't accept my rate, which is of course her right to do, she then offered me a third of the rate I had just quoted her. I would have refused that rate if she had lived next door to me. Two hours driving, plus gas? I politely told her that I would not be able to do it for that rate, rather than tell her what I was thinking. Which was that she could go fuck herself.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  Honestly, it varies from person to person. Many individuals with autism or Aspergers are as unique as most others. But as a start, I think I would read up on "stimming" (short for stimulating).

I'm not sure how much knowledge about autism or Aspergers you have, but if you read up on it, be very careful where you get your resources. It may surprise you that some who are in the austistic/Asperger's community (i.e. they are diagnosed themselves, or they have a loved one who is diagnosed) don't necessarily agree with the positions of some of the organizations out there dedicated to "autism awareness".

But I digress. For somewhat of a generalized overview, watch the "Arthur" episode "When George Met Carl". You can find it on YouTube.
                  Okay, will do. Thanks for the suggestions!
                  "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Jester does magic.

I did not know this. Now I have some very weird thoughts about what Jester's magic show would be like.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                      Jester does magic.

I did not know this. Now I have some very weird thoughts about what Jester's magic show would be like.
                      Especially since he has been known to hang ... um ... out [] at a clothing optional bar upon occasion.

Where would one hide ones props ...
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        Where would one hide ones props ...
                        Do you expect me to pull your drinks out of my... ?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Do you expect me to pull your drinks out of my... ?
                          I've heard that in some gay bars, bartenders will (after a thorough draining, of course) use a catheter to refill their bladders with vodka, and pour shots from the "biological spigot". Sounds like a bad idea, though - unless the entire fill is dispensed quickly, it'll get contaminated and the bartender may as well be drinking on the job. Also, serious irritation to sensitive tissue.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            I've heard that in some gay bars, bartenders will (after a thorough draining, of course) use a catheter to refill their bladders with vodka, and pour shots from the "biological spigot". Sounds like a bad idea, though - unless the entire fill is dispensed quickly, it'll get contaminated and the bartender may as well be drinking on the job. Also, serious irritation to sensitive tissue.
                            PLEASE never mention that again. Just reading it made me cringe.
                            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                              Jester does magic.

Jester is rather talented with card tricks. There are a few that I can't even begin to figure out even though I've seen them a few times.

As for how "interesting" his show is, well, he knows his audience. The couple informal shows he's done for my kids were very different than the times I've seen him performing for an adult audience.

On topic, I have ruined many holidays working for MajorBank. For sine reason people get all pissy when banks don't give them access to their credit lines even though their payments are past due.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Did anyone else attain such glory?
                                Alas, I have never reached such lofty heights. I only ruin people's vacations.
                                "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                                Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Working...
                                X