This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perks of the Double D's...

Really though, DDPerks is sort of an awkward phrase to have spread across the chest of my work shirt.

I work in a small, rich college town where the only people who can afford to live here are rich retired grandparents and their children. As such, 90% of my suck comes from valley girl college girls and dumb jock college boys. In a month they'll graduate and get a better job than me. As such, my abbreviations are CG for College Girl rather than SC. Sadly today all the stories have to do with CGs.

The Perks Card Doesn't Work That Way

The problem with incorporating a shiny new points system is that either the college kids are flat out too dumb to get it, or an employee (possibly not even at our store) isn't explaining it right. The quick version is that the DDPerks card is a gift card that you load money on to, and from there as you spend you earn points. You can also use your Smart Phone the same way as the DDPerks app is linked to the gift card you registered and added money with.

So when a College Girl came through drive thru a couple weeks ago, I swiped her DDPerks card, only to see "insufficient funds". I turn and she's holding a credit card out to me.

Me: Your gift card doesn't seem to have anything left, so it's still 2.60.

She smiles and nods and I hand her back her receipt and cards.

CG: I didn't earn any points!!
    Me: Well, no, you didn't have any money on your gift card. You have to register the card on DDPerks or through your smart phone to use it.
    CG: I... I did that!
    Me: Yes, but you need to load money onto the card just like a gift card, and use the money on the card for your purchase to earn the points.
    CG: I... I just don't get it.

She was just so befuddled that she just drove away. Cue to yesterday, when she came into the store and I didn't recognize her right away. She hands me the DDPerks card with her credit card. You'd think I would have caught on, except oftentimes people will use the remainder of their gift card and put the rest on their credit card. So I swipe the card, insufficient funds, I charge the credit card, same spiel. When I look up, she has her smart phone out with the QR code to scan, so I'm thinking maybe she has a second gift card loaded up to scan. So I do a full refund on her credit card, and then scan the phone.

Insufficient funds. NOW I recognize what's going on. So I explain yet again that you have to load money onto the card/app in order to pay for your purchases and earn points. She goes "Ohhhh". I charge her credit card again. She looks at her phone, pulls up a text message window from her bank.

CG: YOU CHARGED ME TWICE!!
    Me: Yes, I charged you once, then did the full refund, and then charged it again after we realized you didn't have money on your App.
    CG: I didn't get the refund!!
    Me: It probably didn't go through right away. It might take a little time to go through.
    CG: *disbelieving stare*
    Me: Look, here's a copy of the refund receipt. If you never get the refund take that to your bank.

College Girls...

Just One

CG: Can I get two small iced coffees? One has skim milk...
    Me: ...
    CG: ... That's it.
    Me: What's in the second coffee?
    CG: OH! ...... Skim milk.

This is How We Math In The Modern Day

Disclaimer: At Drive thru we also have a bright lit sign that shows the price of your order at the window.

Me: The driver ahead of you told me to put the rest of their gift card towards your purchase, so you only owe 45 cents!
    CG: *hands me a quarter*
    Me: ... No, I need 45 cents.
    CG: ...
    Me: I need another quarter.
    CG: OH!

I Didn't Want Sugar!

A College Girl (politely) brought her coffee back because "I didn't want sugar in this". I had to calmly explain that the Cookie Dough flavor does not come unsweetened. This one wasn't huge suck just... really? Wouldn't unsweetened cookie dough flavor essentially just be... dough flavor?

My Generation, everyone.
    Last edited by Chazzie; 04-26-2014, 04:39 PM.

For $25 I bought a PHP and MySQL for Dummies book and after studying the lessons, and with a little cleverness, I built a message board for my website. Granted, it's ugly and lacks features, but it works; not bad for someone working in a parking lot at the time.

How did they get into college again?
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
      Daddy boughted it for me.

Comment

Quoth AngloSaxonViking View Post
        Daddy boughted it for me.
        They gotzed that stadium cuz I got straight A's.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh my. It says a lot that these dolts are in college.

Comment

I'm sympathetic to the occasional brain fart before the caffeine has a chance to kick in. I have them myself from time to time. But these people......wow.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
              CG: I didn't get the refund!!
              Me: It probably didn't go through right away. It might take a little time to go through.
              It definitely didn't go through right away. Refunds to credit cards usually take a couple days to go through.

Quoth Chazzie View Post
              A College Girl (politely) brought her coffee back because "I didn't want sugar in this". I had to calmly explain that the Cookie Dough flavor does not come unsweetened. This one wasn't huge suck just... really? Wouldn't unsweetened cookie dough flavor essentially just be... dough flavor?
              More like bread dough flavour.

My understanding of DDPerks is that it's offered by a U.S.-based donut chain with an orange-and-brown sign.

As an analogy: Someone has an Air Miles rewards card. They present it, along with a means of payment. Store swipes the card, and they get points regardless of what means of payment they used (cash, cheque, credit card, debit card, cold-pressed latnium).

Someone has an Air Miles MasterCard. They get points based on how much they buy WHEN THEY USE THIS CARD TO PAY FOR IT. If you use a different method of payment, you get no points.

The DDPerks card seems to be along the lines of the Air Miles MasterCard, rather than the Air Miles rewards card, with the points being what you get in exchange for "tying up" your money on the card so it can only be spent at "America Runs On" donut shop. If you'd rather keep your money in a form you can spend anywhere, no points for you.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Sneaky way to do business, but beneficial for regulars I supposed

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
                  Really though, DDPerks is sort of an awkward phrase to have spread across the chest of my work shirt.
                  :
                  Well if they're actual DD's I guess....
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I prefer A and B students, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                      Sneaky way to do business, but beneficial for regulars I supposed
                      It's not so sneaky once you realize it's linked with the DDApp for phones, which no one but regulars would really use anyway. The cards also come with little brochures that explain every detail, and the employees are to explain it each time as well.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      They gotzed that stadium cuz I got straight A's.
                      I'd find this funnier if it wasn't 100% true.
                      Last edited by Chazzie; 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                        I prefer A and B students, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.
                        I would imagine those DD's would choke you.

Of course those A's and B's are supposed to be smarter, too. I recall my Mom talking about report cards in school and her take on the grading system was:

A - Awful
                        B - Bad
                        C - Could Be Better
                        D - Dandy
                        F - Fine

Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Memorized a SAT study book, payed their tuition, then drank their student loans. How else do people get into college?

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
                            How else do people get into college?
                            In my case, nailed the SATs.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              In my case, nailed the SATs.
                              in other cases, nailing the assessor of those tests?

Comment

Working...
                              X