This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Closed 2 Hours Ago. Please Leave!

I've had a few interesting ones recently.

We're Closed. GET OUT.

Working the grocery overnight shift, more than 2 hours after closing, I hear a man and woman laughing. I walk over to the café eating area, and I see a couple sitting there, chatting away. The area is a bit blocked off from the main part of the store, and they were somehow overlooked when the store closed.

Me: Excuse me. We're closed. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave.
    man: Oh, that's OK. We're fine.
    Me: Sorry. They should have had you leave when the store closed.
    man: OK. We'll just be a few more minutes. (they continue chatting)
    Me: I'm going to turn the door alarms off, so I can let you out. I'll be back in a couple minutes.

...when I get back....they're still sitting and chatting.

Me: Excuse me.
    man: Well, we're not in your way or anything. We'll be ready to leave in about 15 minutes.
    Me: (speechless...they continue chatting and using their smartphones while I stand there)
    Me: Look, I can't have you in here. I can't just let you stay in here. We're closed. You have to go.
    man: Why?
    Me: (Screaming in my head - WE'RE CLOSED! I DON'T NEED ANY OTHER REASON!!)
    Me: Seriously, I need you to go.
    man: just a few more minutes, OK?
    Me: Look. We're closed. It's a security and safety issue. I can get into trouble if I just let you stay.
    man: (lets out a sigh and rolls his eyes as he starts to get up) Alright. Geez.

Seriously, it's 2 bleeping hours after closing, and their acting like I'm inconveniencing them!

Easter Lilies Aren't For Easter

The day after Easter, I'm in the checkout, and I become aware of someone just standing, staring at me. It's an older lady, and I can tell by her body language I'm about to be dealt a complaint.

Lady: Excuse me. Last week I bought an Easter Lily, and today I come in here and I see that they are all marked half-price. I'm kinda upset. I'd like to get half my money back, since they are so much cheaper now. Do I need to go back home and get my receipt?
    Me: Well, they're marked down because the holiday is over.
    Lady: ..... So?
    Me: They're considered a holiday item, just like the Easter candy. They get marked half off after the holiday.
    Lady: (stares, looks very unhappy)
    Me: Kind of like the day after Christmas, all the Christmas decorations get marked down. (At this point, I thought she'd understand my point.)
    Lady: (yelling) Easter lilies aren't for Easter! I just want my money back. It's not fair I paid full price, and now they're half off!
    Me: (though she is raising her voice, I still think she just doesn't understand, so I try a little more friendly explaining) See, it's considered a holiday item. And you got to use it for the intended holiday. After the holiday, they get marked down. This is like if you came in the day after Christmas and asked for half the money back on all the Christmas decorations you bought and used. It doesn't work like that.
    Lady: (looking very angry)
    Me: (I have customers lining up, and the refund amount is small enough that I do not need supervisor approval) Look, I'm sorry if you don't understand, let me just go ahead and give you the partial refund.
    Lady: Just don't understand! No, you just don't understand. It's just not fair!
    Me: (handing her the refund) Ma'am, I apologize. Here's your refund, exactly as you requested.
    Lady: This isn't right! I shouldn't have to argue for my refund! You didn't handle this right.
    Me: Ma'am, I've refunded you your money, even though I didn't have to....and, I gave it to you even though you didn't have your receipt and you do not have the product with you. I've done all I can for you. I'm sorry if you are not happy. (I'm getting upset now, because I've given in to her just to get rid of her. I hate it when other clerks do that, and I hate being put in the position where I end up doing it! And she's still in my face!)
    Lady: This wasn't right. (leaves)

......sigh......I wonder if I'll see her the day after Halloween -"Excuse Me! But I bought some halloween candy at regular price, and today it's all half off!! Gimme a refund!"

Customer Accuses Me of Lying

It's not unusual for customers to ask for rolls of coins (quarters, dimes, etc), or bundles of cash - (50) $1's, (10) $10's, (20) $5's ..etc.
    Recently, some local businesses have started to abuse our willingness to hand out change. They come in and request things like five rolls of quarters and five rolls of dimes and five rolls of pennies and (100) $1's. If it's just the shop next door looking for some change to get it through the day until they can make a bank run, we're fine with that. Unfortunately, some started making a habit of it. Management recently clamped down on this and told us to restrict handing out rolled change.

So this customer asks for a roll of quarters. No problem. It's not an excessive request. She might be going to the laundromat or something.

Me: Roll of quarters. No problem. Just to let you know, after today I won't be able to do this for you. Management is clamping down on handing out rolled change. So next time, there's a chance you might be denied. Management is unhappy about some people who come in a lot and get lots of rolled change. Here you go, one roll of quarters.
    C: Well, that seems wrong. Why can't you hand out rolls of change.
    Me: Management says it's because it costs us money.
    C: How can it cost you money?
    Me: The bank charges us for the money they supply us with.
    C: Oh come on! They do not do that!
    Me: Yes. There is a charge for each roll of coins and bundle of cash. We don't just give the bank $100 cash, and they give us $100 in rolled quarters. They charge a fee for each item. And they charge for the armored car pickup/delivery.
    C: Bull! You expect me to believe that you have to pay the bank for cash!
    Me: They don't provide the service for free.
    C: That's a lie. Stop it!! If you didn't want to give me the roll of quarters, just say so.

She grabbed her stuff and left in a huff.

"It's just not fair!"

"Yes it is. NEXT PLEASE!"

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
      Recently, some local businesses have started to abuse our willingness to hand out change. They come in and request things like five rolls of quarters and five rolls of dimes and five rolls of pennies and (100) $1's.
      Say what? Yeah, I'd probably enjoy telling people that THEY need to take their own special selves to the bank and get change. I mean geez.

When I worked at *big box retail*, we weren't allowed to hand out rolls of change. I recall one woman talk down to me as if I were a toddler that disappointed her, "Well, *competitor* is more generous". This when I nicely told her I couldn't give her my one and only roll of quarters for the morning.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Me: They don't provide the service for free.
        Wait, what?! Do they deliver it or something? o_O Any chance they'll let you shop around for a new bank? That sounds like one of those "because we feel like it"/bullshit fees x.x Never heard of that before (at least, not for bank customers), tho I would not put it past them. Kinda like how so many banks charge you fees for talking to an actual human being (to get you to use the ATM), and slightly lower fees for using said ATM... >_> Yer screwed either way.

As for the other stores -- screw them. Let them go to the bank themselves.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Hold on.....did you give the second SC a refund when she had no receipt and - unless I missed it - no product in hand??
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Lady: Excuse me. Last week I bought an Easter Lily, and today I come in here and I see that they are all marked half-price. I'm kinda upset. I'd like to get half my money back, since they are so much cheaper now. Do I need to go back home and get my receipt?
            Me: Well, they're marked down because the holiday is over.
            <snip>
            Me: (handing her the refund) Ma'am, I apologize. Here's your refund, exactly as you requested.
            Lady: This isn't right! I shouldn't have to argue for my refund! You didn't handle this right.
            Me: Ma'am, I've refunded you your money, even though I didn't have to....and, I gave it to you even though you didn't have your receipt and you do not have the product with you.
            You gave her a refund without either a receipt or the product? Congratulations - you've taught her that if she makes enough of a fuss she'll get a "no product no receipt" refund.

Just to let you know, after today I won't be able to do this for you. Management is clamping down on handing out rolled change. So next time, there's a chance you might be denied. Management is unhappy about some people who come in a lot and get lots of rolled change. Here you go, one roll of quarters.
            C: Well, that seems wrong. Why can't you hand out rolls of change.
            Me: Management says it's because it costs us money.
            I'd advise against giving her any reason other than "The guy who signs my paycheques told me not to do it".
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Didn't realize banks charge for that service. Wow.

And "Easter lillies aren't for Easter"? Yeah, that's why they're called "EASTER" lillies....

I wonder if she does that every time merchandise gets marked down. Stuff goes on sale all the time. I can see her coming in complaining that last month she bought a widget for $5.00 and this month they're only $2.50 and that's not fair, blah blah blah...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had a bank charge $5 for cashing a check that was drawn on that bank just because I didn't have an account with them. That totally sucked. I did get the $5 back from the guy that wrote the check.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working the grocery overnight shift, more than 2 hours after closing, I hear a man and woman laughing.
                  The hell?! Considering these two were obviously holding a fairly audible conversation, how could they not be noticed while the store was closing up? And how could they not notice that the store was COMPLETELY EMPTY of anyone other than them?

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    You gave her a refund without either a receipt or the product? Congratulations - you've taught her that if she makes enough of a fuss she'll get a "no product no receipt" refund.
                    Didn't want to do it. But given the small amount and the fact she was backing up the line and getting loud, it's what management would have directed me to do. Their view is I have two options: 1) Stick to your guns. Result - saves the store the $5 refund, customer leaves unhappy, and the five customers in line go home unhappy because they had to wait an extra five minutes in line. 2) Refund and get her out. Result - she gets $5 and is probably still unhappy, but the five customers in line go home happy.

I would prefer a third option: 3) Tell her to buzz off and stick her easter lilly where the sun don't shine. Result - I'm happy.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      And how could they not notice that the store was COMPLETELY EMPTY of anyone other than them?
                      I think they planned on staying in the store till after close. I've since been told that the previous week they've been in the store at closing time at least 3 times. They sit for hours in a booth in the store's restaurant area. We think they're having an affair. The night I kicked them out, I did notice that they went and sat in their car in the parking lot for about 3 hours, windows steamed over.

Comment

Didn't want to do it. But given the small amount and the fact she was backing up the line and getting loud, it's what management would have directed me to do. Their view is I have two options: 1) Stick to your guns. Result - saves the store the $5 refund, customer leaves unhappy, and the five customers in line go home unhappy because they had to wait an extra five minutes in line.
                        That only applies if the five customers behind the complainer agree with the complainer. Otherwise they'll just be annoyed with the complainer.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Me and two of my tae kwon do buddies camp out at McDonalds after class every Tuesday. It's not unusual for us to stay near midnight, even though the lobby closes at 11pm (drive thru is 24hrs). We're good customers; we buy food, we don't make trouble, we're nice to the staff. We've only ever been asked to leave at 11 once.

Our response was, "Sure, no problem!" and to get up and leave.

Lily lady needs to get a grip and a reality check. I am surprised you gave her money back with no receipt.

I can't recall the bank ever charging me for a roll of quarters. Then again, I always got them from MY bank, and not often. I saved loose quarters to use in the laundry room when I was a renter, and seldom ran short.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

After the second time they refused to leave I would've called security to toss their asses out, because closed means closed.
                            ......../\
                            ....../__\
                            ..../\...../\
                            ../__\../__\

Comment

Yes, I would have said, "Okay, you two stay here then. I'll call the boys in blue and have THEM toss you out..."

Comment

Working...
                              X