This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my googlefu is weakening...

I'm trying to find a combonation of herbs that could be placed into a Sachet that a baby/infant/child will be safe with.

it will be stuffed inside a small teddy bear, and sewn up tightly....

so far I've found
    • Calendula flowers: soothing, astringent; good for salves, lotions and oils
    • Chamomile flowers: calming, soothing, cleansing; good for salves, baths, room sprays, lotions and oils, powders, shampoos
    • Elder flowers: soothing; good for salves, powders
    • Lavender flowers: relaxing, cleansing, soothing; good for salves, powder, baths, shampoos
    • Rose flowers and petals: soothing, astringent; good for powders, baths, massage oils
    • Yarrow: soothing, astringent; good for salves

Any more suggestions?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Rosemary has a nice pine-like scent. Any of the mints would be good. Cloves. Also, even though they're not herbs what about dried lemon or orange peel.
    Last edited by flybye023; 10-15-2012, 02:43 AM.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

and yes I will post pictures of them when I get one done
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

i'd also recommend looking up to see what effect eating them might have on the child.

Comment

I would first find out if the child in question has any allergies. They can have serious effects on babys if they do.

Comment

What about some mint? Can make a good tea.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

here's some links that might help

granted these are for *ingesting* herbs rather than putting them into plushies, but... since babies chew on stuff, it might apply as well

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.c...m#.UHw18EKs3Hg
              A majority of pediatricians will recommend waiting until an infant is 8 months or older to introduce spices and herbs. This recommendation often has more to do with staving off digestive upsets than it does with possible allergic reactions
              but they do have a list of suggestions there of herbs etc.

http://webnat.com/articles/Herbsforkids.asp
              again, food based but suggests nothing before 6 months.

so personally i'd recommend not having this for any newborn, and if you know the child in question, take some time for testing the herbs first.

If it's something you might sell, definitely have some disclaimers up about age recommendations and a detail of what's in it etc. just to cover your assets.

Comment

I plan on selling these, and plan on fully disclosing the entire content of the herb packet, which will be only 2 or 3 herbs each

Comment

I'd be a bit aware of chamomile with infants. Chamomile has a quite strange effect of being anti-bacterial, but still have som bacteria in it. Don't ask me how the heck that it is, but I've been told that giving chamomile tea for a bad cold is ok, but rinsing infected eyes in chamomile tea is not ok (despite what I had been told 15 years ago, but hey, science keeps on truckin').

But I'd love a lavender and rose-scented plush. Dunno if it can be reproduced as I don't think the dried herbs smell as good as the fresh ones, but my son simply LOVES the scent of fresh basil and it actually soothes/calms him a bit.
                  A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth kpzra View Post
                    I would first find out if the child in question has any allergies. They can have serious effects on babys if they do.
                    I woudl second this.
                    Mom has asthma, and dad's introduction to me having asthma was, as he put it, 'seeing you turn a rather interesting shade of dark blue/purple.'

First asthma attack was before my second birthday, no idea what the trigger was, tho I can guess with some of the relatives and their fondness for scented things.

Comment

Have you considered copying "Scarborough Fair" (Simon & Garfunkel) onto a cassette over and over, then including lengths of the tape in the sachet? Completely non-allergenic, even though it has Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

BAD WOLFIE!!! no bacon for you!!!

~said while rolling on the ground laughing~

Comment

Working...
                        X