This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hate you right now, Seagate

Short post, in the middle of alternately throwing up out of stress, and crying, and punching the wall.

So last night, we got home, and I heard a high pitched keening and clicking noise coming from the PC room. One of my drives spontaneously kicked the bucket. No warning signs, NOTHING. Worst part, it was my work drive. Turns out, its part of a Seagate line that was released despite this being a KNOWN ISSUE.

Even worse? I'd disconnected my backup drive (which backs up nightly) a little under a couple of months ago when I was putting in new fans, and forgot to reconnect it. Didn't think about it. Luckily, we'd had to go on a trip, and before we left, I backed up all my current projects I was working on to my Dropbox. So those are safe.

What I have lost though, is any work from mid August, to now. Also, any family photos I took in between then, and a few stock images that I recently purchased. Not too bad, considering the projects are over and done, but the photos make me sort of sick.

Well I hooked up my backup drive, and was in the middle of restoring files, when I noticed that...quite literally...files are disappearing as I'm looking in the folders. Then, folders start disappearing, and soon, the ENTIRE BACKUP IS GONE.

Turns out, my Seagate external had a sync program within the backup program, that's not supposed to be running now, but decided HEY LEMME HELP OUT NOW, and noticed that the drive is gone, and so....it....sync'd. Aka, HEY THERES NO DRIVE HERE ANY MORE LET ME MATCH THAT.

Deleting. Everything.

I'm in the middle of doing what I can to roll everything back and try and restore stuff, but I swear, if this doesn't work, I'm going to make Seagate pay for the data restoration service.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

HOLY MOTHER OF SH**! I feel kinda sick just reading about that. Good luck.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Oh, Seraph. We joke about your Enemy of Normalcy status because it's often amusing. But this is one of those instances where it really isn't.

I'm sorry.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

OMG. Ummm, I'm not even sure what to say to that. I'd so so raging right now if that happened to me.

I really really suggest that next time, you do alot of researching on a piece of computer equipment before you buy. I build my own rigs and always research the heck out of every possible piece so I know what problems I could encounter and how to fix them. It just makes life so much easier.

Comment

I got a knot in my stomach just reading that. I can only imagine how you must be raging.

I would have to go outside for quite a while if something happened to me just to blow off some steam, because I would be all *HULK SMASH* if that were to happen. So...make sure you take some time to get out and breathe.

Just...ugh! That's really upsetting. Best wishes on the data recovery effort! *sends positive thoughts Seraph's way*
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Holy S#!t!

I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me, other than it would be definitely unpleasant, probably violent, and possibly justifiable.

I'm not even sure how to even begin to go about recovery from that. I'm just, stunned.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Ok, still restoring, but thank God, I've managed to recover about 85% of the files so far. It's going to take a few more hours to run, but looks like I should get everything back that was on the backup drive! /knocks on wood

Heard back from a data recovery guy about my hard drive...they ran it through a couple of things they have for dead drives, and no luck. It appears that the controller board on it is toast (as is the issue with these drives), and the only way to recover the data off it will be invasive. Basically I'd need to buy a matching drive, remove the controller card of it, have someone solder the old card parts to it and transfer the firmware....and then install it onto the dead drive, and THEN have the data guys attempt a recovery. This would be stupid expensive to pull off, something like $500-600 in all likelyhood. We can't afford it, so....that stuff's gone for good. Sigh.

Quoth Moirae View Post
              I really really suggest that next time, you do alot of researching on a piece of computer equipment before you buy. I build my own rigs and always research the heck out of every possible piece so I know what problems I could encounter and how to fix them. It just makes life so much easier.
              I always do, this was something that only came out recently. The Seagate 7200.11 issue. If I'd known beforehand....oy vay.

I researched the new drive I'm getting, and aside from a warning to check it over beforehand thoroughly for any bad sectors, and a possibility of it being a loud drive....should be a good deal. Its one of the Western Digital Enterprise drives, so its supposed to take quite a beating.

Comment

BACKUP DRIVE HAS BEEN SAVED.

Backup drive has now left the library.

Backup drive has been saved.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post

Yay! There's a silver lining! *phew*
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Whovian splutter-giggle.

Also: thank goodness for that.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post

Hey, who turned out the lights?
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                        Its one of the Western Digital Enterprise drives, so its supposed to take quite a beating.
                        I can confirm this. Every WD drive I have dealt with is built like a tank. It's great for making sure data stays intact, not so hot when I'm directed to destroy the drive (yeah, sure, where's the Thermite? )
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          Well I hooked up my backup drive, and was in the middle of restoring files, when I noticed that...quite literally...files are disappearing as I'm looking in the folders. Then, folders start disappearing, and soon, the ENTIRE BACKUP IS GONE.

Turns out, my Seagate external had a sync program within the backup program, that's not supposed to be running now, but decided HEY LEMME HELP OUT NOW, and noticed that the drive is gone, and so....it....sync'd. Aka, HEY THERES NO DRIVE HERE ANY MORE LET ME MATCH THAT.

Deleting. Everything.
                          WTF? Considering a backup drive is needed to (surprise, surprise) restore files when your main drive goes kerplooie (i.e. you've got a new drive with NO FILES that you want to copy the files from your backup onto), when it's hooked up to a drive with no files, it means it probably has THE ONLY COPY of the files. Having a sync program built into the backup (unless it's a "one-way" sync that will ADD to the backup drive but not REMOVE from it) is a BAD IDEA.

Whatever jackass wrote the supplied software should have set it up so it could be installed as EITHER backup software OR sync software (for a "suitcase" drive used to transport files between 2 machines where they'd be worked on), with it popping up a window asking you if that's what you want it to do when you try switching it from one mode to the other.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I use Crashplan + for my stuff. And I'm just a home user. Recently my puter went tits up, and I had to reinstall W7 from scratch. I pulled down the stuff I needed w/o issues. Not kidding. Had the OS stuff setup the way it is, told Crashplan to restore, I picked which folders and docs and let it run. Yay! I bought Crashplan + , I have a year long unlimited data subscription. I'll get another one when mine runs out.
                            and no, I don't work for them. I love 'em.
                            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

That gave me the chills just reading it. That reminds me that I should probably copy my latest commission work files over to my external hard drive.
                              My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                              My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Working...
                              X