This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake!!

There was a magnitude 4.5 earthquake 30 miles outside Portland Maine at 7:12PM EST.

I felt it down here in Westford, MA. I was just sitting down at my desk and my bed started squeaking and shaking, as if it was being jumped on. I thought at first a cat had gotten under there (which in retrospect wouldn't have caused so much movement) and checked under the bed for one, but came up empty. Wasn't until I saw people talking about it on Facebook that it clicked.

Anyone else in the general vicinity feel it?
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

What's weird is that apparently people in Albany felt it, but we didn't here - even though we're on the east side of the Hudson. Though we do have the Berkshires between us and NE, whereas Albany is more in-line with VT... I really don't understand the bedrock geography here.

Comment

I felt in MA as well. I was playing Skyrim and a dragon had just come at me when it hit. It was a very surreal experience.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I'm in CT and I only found out about it after I checked FB! I'm almost a little disappointed, because I slept through the earthquake that came out of Virginia this summer.

Comment

Revised down to a 4.0.

Comment

I felt it. At first I thought something happened to the furnace, what with all the problems we've been having with the thing; that section of the room shook just as the heat kicked on. Murphy slept right through it, of course.

My mom was working up at Boston College at the time and says she didn't feel a thing.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I didn't feel a thing, but my friend Carole said that SHE felt the earth move under her feet. But then, Carole feels a lot of things that I don't.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I have a friend in CT that said she felt it.

Didn't feel anything in PA. I was at work, though.

Comment

I'm in CT but I didn't feel it. I was at school, on a shaky elevator at the time, so even if the building did shake I wouldn't have felt any different; since that elevator always shakes.

From facebook I do know some people in my general area felt it though.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                    There was a magnitude 4.5 earthquake 30 miles outside Portland Maine at 7:12PM EST.
                    Primus: Glad you're ok.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                    my bed started squeaking and shaking, . . . .I thought at first a cat had gotten under there (which in retrospect wouldn't have caused so much movement)
                    Secundus: THANK YOU for that parenthetical clarifier. I was a tad worried about the size of your cat.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                    Wasn't until I saw people talking about it on Facebook that it clicked.
                    Tertius: Made me immediately think of this, which I believe Randall at XKCD first brought to light, and which I have experienced in real time from afar when friends in a game chat in England had their earthquake in the northeast last year(?)
                    Favorite quote from incident: "Should I leave the computer on when it gets here?"
                    Last edited by sms001; 10-17-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Hey, fellow Massholes! Multiple ones at that, too! I didn't actually feel it. I was hauling trash out of the house, and I guess my motion just mademe miss it.

Ironically, one of the other teachers I work with had given her kids a research assignment on earthquakes THAT night, and she had a student tell her the quake hit just as she finished telling her parents about it. She didn't make a joke...I would not have missed an opportunity like that. I would have told the kid, "You have no idea how much trouble I went through to set that up!" Or, "I know, my machine worked!"

Comment

Working...
                      X